The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

PGT: Canucks-3 Blues-4

Apricot

I didn't watch the whole game, only parts of it but if we play like this and lose. These are the type of losses I want to see where the boys give it their best shot and just came up short. Long season ahead and to begin 3-1-1 is a good start considering what is expected of us. Lots of positives from this game but some areas to improve on. I know this character stuff benning and co are saying can get annoying and as fans would prefer the star player. These character guys who stand up and try to kick start the team with a hit, a fight, or something are the guys we need. Its better for these character guys to get into the future starts of the team what is needed to survive, when to start a fight, how to be a good locker room guy, how to live off ice ect... We don't need a star player diving, running away from the tough guys and teaching young guys bad habits.

Like the old saying goes "You win some and you lose some" Can't win them all.

fair play to the blues though they played well for most of the game.

Go nucks Go :canucks:

I don't think Virtanen will make it to the 9 game mark.

I think Virtanen might be sent back, while McCann stays. McCann has better defensive instincts and is also much better offensively at this point. I want to see how McCann plays on the wing and also on the 1st unit PP. Hutton will also stay up all year as he has been one of our best defenders. When Higgins is back:

Sedin-Sedin-Sutter

Higgins-Horvat-Vrbata

Hansen/Baertschi-McCann-Burrows

Prust-Cracknell-Dorsett

Virtanen will be sent down and we would still have a logjam of forwards. I want to see Virtanen develop more in terms of defensive play and I think keeping McCann over him is better right now.

Virtanen seems to be getting more and more comfortable each shift. He gets big hits and battles in front of the net, especially on the PP against Jay Bowmeester. Almost had his first goal with a great feed by Daniel, I believe it was.

McCann had another good game. Very fast on the rush and is good at own zone. Nice hand eye on his goal.

Hutton is a stud. Enough said.

I love the young kids. They bring a lot of energy and it's needed.

So Dorsett was a -3 on the second line in place of Baertschi who had the best Corsi stats on the team...But please tell us again CDC how Baertschi isn't ready for the NHL. :lol:

Willie better get it together, because his lack of any sort of consistent lines is becoming quite apparent. I hate to say I called it in preseason that this was going to be a problem, but it is now. Miller is the only reason this team has been doing this well so far, and tonight it ran out.

Put Baertschi back in, drop Dorsett to the fourth line where he belongs, and please give Virtanen an actual opportunity to thrive offensively.

That's high praise indeed.

I'd say more like a Shane Doan type, which is also high praise!

high praise, yes. if someone were to put me on the spot and ask me who bo horvat reminds me of, i would say jagr. i dont see bo being the goal scorer how jagr was, and hell, at almost 44 years old, is, but with how strong he is on the puck, could turn out to be the next big set up man. all he needs is that goal scorer. he could very well be the next henrik sedin of this team

Vrbata = Lost

Bartkowski = Turnovers Galore, bad decisions

Horvat = Off game

Hutton = Best defender

Sbisa = Same Old...

Sedins = Rough Game

Edler = Terrible Game

McCann = Caused a goal, got a beauty

Virtanen = Solid Game

Lots of negatives and some positives. Still a bright start and a good season ahead of us. Just a short summary of some notable bads and goods

bolded: i'm really digging bart. he's not afraid to take chances, which is a dynamic this team really needs. for years, i think we all see a trend with this team-- "try too hard to play it safe"

horvat: you're only highlighting him to seem unbiased. the whole team was "off game" can't really fault a sophomore being under 50% on the FO dot against an elite st. louis blues team, a team that's going to be hard to beat this year, with a guy like tarasenko getting better and more dangerous every game. the canucks don't have that dynamic kind of player, and haven't since markus naslund. with all due respect to daniel sedin, tarasenko has a tough blues team around him, like naslund did in the WCE days. the only thing keeping the blues from being a championship team, i can't tell you. they have all the tools to be one. sbisa wasn't terrible this game. i can name other guys on the team that did far worse. he did his job and ONLY kept it a 4-3 game

Archived