The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Horvat play is being dragged down by Vrbata

desiboynux4lifee*******

I sometimes wonder if they're shoe-horning Sutter into a top 6 role based on the salary JB gave him. From what I've seen to date, long term, he's going to be a vg 3C. In the meantime, 3C is where they're going to develop McCann. Maybe it's more a case of finding him a home while they develop McCann.

I sometimes wonder if they're shoe-horning Sutter into a top 6 role based on the salary JB gave him. From what I've seen to date, long term, he's going to be a vg 3C. In the meantime, 3C is where they're going to develop McCann. Maybe it's more a case of finding him a home while they develop McCann.

Sutter is looking great, what games are you watching?

this could be true, I know they briefly had mccann on wing in pre season. He needs to gain more strength to be even better at the C position, but maybe mccann could play wing in his first year in the nhl, less responsibility for the 19 yr old rookie

Mccann on the wing with Horvat or Sutter would be something I wouldnt mind atleast trying out for a few games to see if there was some chemistry their. THis would allow us to put vrbata with the twins, and possibly give virtanen a chance at a 2nd or 3rd line role to see if he can produce

He's a centre. That's what they traded for (and overpaid for). My thinking is a continuation of my thoughts from my previous post where I was suggesting that Horvat might develop better on the 3rd line for half a year even though he's a better player than Sutter. The reason being is that Horvat could one day be the #1.

I still think Sutter is with the twins because they need a place for McCann. And that's ok because Sutter and McCann are both looking good. As long as McCann looks like he's going to continue to benefit from playing in the NHL I think they'll continue to go with a similar line up wrt Sutter, Horvat and McCann. If McCann goes back to junior, then we may see Horvat or Sutter at 3C (and Burrows or Vrbata with the twins). But that's IF. I don't think it will happen the way McCann is developing.

For every one thing they try to do, there's always a trade off. In this case, fitting in McCann may put Horvat in a less than optimal position. Horvat will still be fine. He could use a fore checking winger. Just not Dorsett.

He looks all right to me but not great. Guess he still needs to adjust but sometimes he is not strong on the puck and reminds me of Mason Raymond--perhaps his number helps with that image...

He's a centre. That's what they traded for (and overpaid for). My thinking is a continuation of my thoughts from my previous post where I was suggesting that Horvat might develop better on the 3rd line for half a year even though he's a better player than Sutter. The reason being is that Horvat could one day be the #1.

I still think Sutter is with the twins because they need a place for McCann. And that's ok because Sutter and McCann are both looking good. As long as McCann looks like he's going to continue to benefit from playing in the NHL I think they'll continue to go with a similar line up wrt Sutter, Horvat and McCann. If McCann goes back to junior, then we may see Horvat or Sutter at 3C (and Burrows or Vrbata with the twins). But that's IF. I don't think it will happen the way McCann is developing.

For every one thing they try to do, there's always a trade off. In this case, fitting in McCann may put Horvat in a less than optimal position. Horvat will still be fine. He could use a fore checking winger. Just not Dorsett.

I'd agree that they tried sutter with the twins because they wanted a spot for McCann, I hardly see this as a problem. Sutter has looked good with the twins and mccann is looking good as well.

I see the problem as being WD's desire to have a checking/matchup type third line. He could easily try the kid line with bo virt and Sven as our third and try McCann bata Hanson as the second and split the time for first and second equally. Problem is it may work great in some ways but we have no checking line. This is going to be the struggle this year because it's hard to break as many rookies into the lineup and still ice a matchup line. If WD would give in to the fact he doesn't have one and use the twins with sutter as the head to head line we may be ok for the reg season but be in trouble in the playoffs. I'm ok with it but don't get the feeling WD is?

He looks al right to me but not great. Guess he still needs to adjust but sometimes he is not strong on the puck and reminds me of Mason Raymond--perhaps his number helps with that image...

You don't think he's looked strong on the puck?

It's only 5 games, but if WD is gonna play the hottest hands and say things like 'this is the make it league' or whatever—then he has to have that same level of fairness for all wingers. Vrb has proven more in the past, but Baer has been better than him. Baer has also been better than Prust, just as good as Virt or Dorsett.

I think internal competition is good, but if you're going base scratches on merit per-game, then Baer didn't deserve a scratch, either Vrbata or Prust should've been pulled out.

Putting a kid on the doghouse because of the team isn't scoring a lot, despite him making a lot of the close chances, isn't a good coaching move.

I don't understand why they don't go back to Vrby with the twins for at least a game or even a couple periods.

WD has made subtle comments that make the reasoning pretty clear. It started last year when WD put Burrows with the Sedins. Basically Vrby does not do enough defensively. WD has said explicitly that he does not want Henrik to do the heavy lifting at both ends of the ice. He want them to play with RW (Sutter of Burrows) who do a lot of the work needed in his own end AND work on the forcheck in the offensive zone.

Even last year, although Vrby scored when playing with the Sedins, the overall plus/minus for the line was not very good. It improved a lot when Burrows took Vrby's place on the line.

One thing Bonino and Higgins did not get enough credit for was that when they played with Vrby they were both very good defensively and were able to cover for him and let him be the sniper.

WD is hoping Horvat can play that role but it has not worked very well so far. I like the idea of Virtanen, Horvat and Baertschi together as those guys all have skill and speed and Virtanen and Horvat both forcheck well and have a physical presence.

Then Vrby can play with Sutter and Hansen (who can play the left side if necessary) and Burrows can play with the Sedins. McCann will sit out for game or two given his injury.

It's only 5 games, but if WD is gonna play the hottest hands and say things like 'this is the make it league' or whatever—then he has to have that same level of fairness for all wingers. Vrb has proven more in the past, but Baer has been better than him. Baer has also been better than Prust, just as good as Virt or Dorsett.

I think internal competition is good, but if you're going base scratches on merit per-game, then Baer didn't deserve a scratch, either Vrbata or Prust should've been pulled out.

Putting a kid on the doghouse because of the team isn't scoring a lot, despite him making a lot of the close chances, isn't a good coaching move.

This, if it's a do something and not a try league then I'm not sure why Vrbata is getting a free pass and Sven is getting scratched.

Maybe WD should learn how to play players to their strengths and ice lines that actually work, like the kid line. All 3 of them want to play with eachother and they're styles go well together.

Kind of sad when the average fan knows Baertschi-Horvat-Vrbata won't work cause there's no forechecking presence.

These lines would work much better

Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen

Burrows-McCann-Vrbata

Tons of skill and 2 guys that can forecheck very well with a purely skilled player on each line

Might be a few months till this actually gets tried out though, as WD admitted, he's stubborn and only does things his way and we all saw what a catastrophe that was in the playoffs when he refused to line match and management had to tell him to play the twins more.

Edit: Looks like WD may have changed his stubborn ways

Jason Botchford ‏@botchford 15m15 minutes ago

at canucks practice, baertschi-horvat-Virtanen is a thing. Really it is.

Guess I was expecting more of a Kesler type player. I look forward to seeing him in the play-offs where he apparently shines as a 2 way.

I know we are not supposed to say if think someone is "fishing", but I think you are trying to purposely entice Canuck's fans. That's my opinion on your concept.

Sedin-Sedin-Sutter

Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen

Burrows-McCann-Vrbata

Dorsett/Prust-Cracknell-Hansen

Alterbate dors and prust. No need for both.

Absolute need for both Dorsett and Prust. Having both insures that if one gets into a fight, there's another one ready to go in case it gets ugly.

Because of that, the game will be tamed.

The St-Louis game; the Canucks are sluggish against a renowned powerhouse. Dorsett fights, the Canucks start playing. Because the opposition knows there's another one of those skating around, in yesterday's case Prust, they won't get dirty.

Fight early in Calgary; Vancouver dominates.

Fight early in Anaheim: Vancouver dominates.

Fight early in L.A.: Vancouver dominates.

Fight midway through the second period against St-Louis; Vancouver is lackluster through the first half of the game and then show up.

In each instance it game that extra edge, advantage Canucks.

If Dorsett or Prust is the only one in the lineup, the Canucks aren't as intimidating as if that 4th line is wrecking havoc, especially with an early, tone-setting fight.

If you're going to bench someone, bench Vrbata for not showing up to the season. Everyone else has, especially Prust, Cracknell and Dorsett.

Vrbata is not what he was last season. I'm not sure he dragging Hovart down or Hovart struggling right along with Vrbata . He'll be fine,we can only hope.

. I don't see Vrbata finishing the season wearing a Canucks jersey.

I think Vrbata is actually in Virtanen's spot. I would ship him out early. Clear the air of whatever dissatisfaction exists from not playing with the Sedins; the one and only reason to sign with Vancouver in the first place.

Archived