The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Horvat play is being dragged down by Vrbata

desiboynux4lifee*******

I think that this makes as much sense as anything. Sutter will play the defensively responsible role with the Sedin line. WD also says that he wants to spread the offense around.

So there's 2 reasons for putting Sutter with the Sedins that make sense:

1. Sutter can play a defensively responsible role on the line so Hank doesn't have to work too hard on D and can play what he is best at; offense.
  2. Sutter not playing centre, gives a place for McCann to develop.

Which line then, is the match-up / shut down line? Horvat with Baertschi and Vrbata is not. McCann is not. Cracknell is a good 4th line. So we're left with the Sedin line to match up which may account for their lack of production 5 on 5 to date (other than the 1st game).

Again, it's about trade offs. They can't do all things especially if they're going to try to develop McCann, Virtanen and Baertschi in the NHL. Are they still about exploiting their most offensively gifted players? Or are they going to develop?

Bottom line, does McCann stay? Because if he does, they will have to sacrifice having that shutdown line that they were after. The same line that they brought Sutter in to centre and be a foundational player.

Lets try this:

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Baertschi Horvat Virtanen/Hansen

Higgins Sutter Vrbata

Prust Cracknell Dorsett/Hansen

Get rid of Vrbata and everything works:

Sedin, Sedin, Sutter

Baertsche, Horvat, Virtannen

Higgins, McCann, Burrows

Prust, Cracknell, Dorsett

or Hansen RW on third line, Burrows to left wing, Higgins sits.

Or play him enough to get a trade, and bring up another kid - Gaunce.

Sedin, Sedin, Sutter

Higgins, McCann, Burrows

If I wake up one morning in the near future to find the Canucks have traded Vrbata, my first thought would be 'they had a problem and solved it'.

I did notice that Bo isn't having sharp games anymore...

Now we're back to where I started, is Horvat being given too much responsibility too soon?

Horvat 1-0-1 -4

Baertschi 0-1-1 -1

Vrbata 0-0-0 -3..........the 2nd line isn't producing and it has the worst +/-

Sedin, Sedin, Sutter

Higgins, McCann, Burrows

Is Vrbata the root of all that is wrong with that line? I seriously doubt that replacing Vrbata with Virtanen is going to fix it.

It comes down to what kind of team they want to be this year. It's a transition year so,

• Do they want to put up with the growing pains and focus on developing Horvat, Baertschi, McCann, Virtanen, Hutton and Markstrom. Or,
  • Is winning more important now (because it's part of their development plan too). And they send McCann down so that Sutter can move back to the middle and they have the shutdown, match up line that will allow Horvat to thrive. It's a case of the greater good. This was the original plan after all.

Having said that, if they send McCann down, they'll be faced with the same issue down the middle next year but Horvat will be a year older and more able to play the 2nd line role. Don't get me wrong, I love how McCann is playing. And I also think that Vrbata will be moved at the trade deadline this year.

Yeah, Prust on the line was really doubling down on dumb. Vrbata has been 100% useless this year - put him back with the Sedins, let him run up some goals and trade him for a decent draft pick. We had lightning in a bottle with Baertschi, Horvat, and Virtannen (10 points in one friggin' game) - Vrbata has already cost Baertschi his job, and now he is even making Horvat look like chopped liver.

Bit of an overstatement this early in the season. Lots of rookies/sophomore players ride the pine during the season. Baer needs to know that the 2nd line RW won't be gifted to him.

The best case scenario would be for Vrby to get his game going again. Washington really needs his skillset and would be an awesome trading partner for the Canucks. With the play of Semin, perhaps the Habs would want Vrby as well.

I'm not convinced that a whole season of Baer, Bo and Virt will work out, so I would like to see them play together for awhile before tossing Vrby away.

No way Vrbata is bring Horvat down, if anything Horvat is bringing himself down. I think we're seeing he might have been thrust into that 2nd line spot a little too soon. He's made some glaring defensive errors leading to goals. He really hasn't created much offensively either. Vrbata looked great last night with Sutter so I wouldn't be so quick to blame Vrby.

Bo will get it going but playing the blame game and not accepting that his own play is his own fault is kinda silly

The teen line is not ready to be the 2nd line. They are a 3rd line and that keeps the pressure off them. There is not one of them has what Higgins has yet and I don't like Higgins that much. Vbrata and Suter are far more suitable for the 2nd line as is Burrows.

It is comical how so many on here think just because we have a young prospect he is Connor McDavid, he's not. They are nowhere near the finished article McDavid is and McDavid himself is not the finished article.

Our youngsters are good but they need time and they need to be protected from pressure. I have a feeling if they played for Detroit they wouldn't even be seeing the NHL yet. It is so unfair to them in many ways.

LOL Vrbata play is the one being dragged down by bo's play.

Vrbata has had lots of chances and lots of shots. Part of what we are seeing is bad luck. He will score. But he has always been a sniper. He is not strong defensively and does not forecheck effectively. That puts a big burden on whoever he plays with -- Horvat, Henrik, or whoever.

I like the Horvat, Baetschi, Virtanen line (as does everyone else, except maybe WD). Playing Vrby with Sutter probably makes the most sense, but I am hoping the Canucks trade Vrby for a draft pick at the deadline. And I hope he plays well enough to bring back a first rounder in return.

I know I've been here for a few years and I should know this by now but for the love of god can we stop freaking out after every loss especially this early in the season.

This will never get any easier. It gets worse by every year that passes... Nice thought tho

The teen line is not ready to be the 2nd line. They are a 3rd line and that keeps the pressure off them. There is not one of them has what Higgins has yet and I don't like Higgins that much. Vbrata and Suter are far more suitable for the 2nd line as is Burrows.

It is comical how so many on here think just because we have a young prospect he is Connor McDavid, he's not. They are nowhere near the finished article McDavid is and McDavid himself is not the finished article.

Our youngsters are good but they need time and they need to be protected from pressure. I have a feeling if they played for Detroit they wouldn't even be seeing the NHL yet. It is so unfair to them in many ways.

Like the line up at practice Oct 20

Sedin Sedin Vrbata

Burrows Sutter Hansen

Baertschi Horvat Virtanen

Dorsett McCann Prust

Cracknell

I don't necessarily think Horvat's play is being dragged down by Vrbata. IMO if Vrbata was our young gun and Horvat was the FA veteran we signed 1 yr ago for 12 mil then we'd be giving Horvat slack for bringing Vrbata's play down.

IMHO though that lines just not working for whatever reason, there's no one to put blame on specifically

Last year Horvat was playing well because he had guys who fought board battles; so far this year Horvat has had one goal on a powerplay against Calgary, other then that him and Vrbata have been struggling and the reason is simple, Vrbata is one damn Lazy player!  The guy doesn't win puck battles he stands in the corner waiting to shoot the puck, honestly Willie just play him with the Sedins because the 2nd line is being affected from Vrbata's poor play!

Don't matter where you play him, if its not with the Sedins or on the powerplay; Vrbata is pretty much useless on this team. Saw it in last years playoffs and now seeing it again, seems like Vrbata got extra lazy this year. Wow please keep him away from Horvat's line because Horvat needs guys who can help him fore-check!  I understand snipers need to get open but why not fore-check a bit more?

LMAO  

Archived