The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What the critics don't see

scratchmb

Okay, enough goofing around for the moment. I was paying attention to the Canucks powerplay. They do an amazing job to puck control and zone control. What is not so amazing is the live action is reminiscent of slowed down replay. This is just peachy if the object was to kill minutes, but that is not the object of a powerplay. Slow puck control is easily readable and easily predictable to the goaltender and the defense.

Yes, stepping up the speed means a higher risk of loosing control of the zone and outlet of the puck to the other end of the ice or even worse a short handed rush by the penalty killers which often catches your own goaltender napping, well not literally, but still not in a defensive stance and has to make a quick choice of stance option if there are two opponents rushing down with only one defender skating backwards. Will the puck handler shoot or pass? Which way will the floundering defenseman move?

Thus is it better to control the zone and take what cracks at the net at least hard enough that you are mostly assured it will rebound in favor of the powerplay offence and hope that one slips by, or do you step it up in speed and get everyone in motion and battle along the boards to draw away the defenders in front of the net in hopes of getting one or two players into a clean shooting lane?

Its our opinions and involvement that make these sports popular and mainstream. Otherwise the NHL is no different than a bunch of people playing beer league at the local rink. We invest our time and money into these sports and with that comes a avid interest on how these teams and players are utilized. Obviously we are not privy to every minute detial that goes on within an organization but with that we are still entitled to our opinions.

BTW I didn't read the op.

This thread is funny, well done sir!

Thanks Canorth, mirth is my aim. I need fodder for my stand up routine, what better place to get it than a sports forum. Fans are so touchy, like firecrackers with short fuses, this is almost as good as Candid Camera. The best part is I don't have to get anyone to sign waivers since this is public domain and people are under the guises of pseudonyms. Ducks in a barrel, my friend, ducks in a barrel.

scratchmb

While I might not agree with everything you wrote the responses are very entertaining and your post is a lot more in depth than "he stinks" or "he's good".

Some posters have exposed themselves as the sheep that will follow blindly, not bothering to form a thought because some where someone else has done their thinking for them. No need to read or develop an opinion of their own, just follow whatever is published in the shortest possible form, the comment with regards to the 128 character thought appears to be appropriate, short and uninformative without any explanation of reasoning. Why? Because that might take up too much of the valuable brain power to discover the why of the thought or whether it is a legitimate idea and to put it bluntly, showing a lack of ability to concentrate and follow through on an idea.

These are the people that answer the "poll" questions without really thinking about what is actually happening...the people that created the poll questions have done all your thinking for you, limiting the need for in depth answers for real problems. As an example, some typical poll questions, health care, education, crime....the same things time after time. This paragraph, funny, I wonder if most even know what a "paragraph" is, relates to those sheep. "It can't be because they said so"

I thought to entertain the masses here by giving another long response to your post, by the time I have finished this post there will be 4 or more messages posted, likely less than intellectual in-depth thoughts, most probably one liners criticizing your analysis even though it was, to me, abbreviated, but to some it would require actual effort in reasoning and there was more than one idea at a time, hence the "paragraphs".

I am going to get flamed, but then this is just a screen and the person on the other end and their thoughts aren't really that important, this is just entertainment and I don't have to be here, I have flesh and blood people I communicate with.... in person.

Yet with the cap, it got worse, players didn't want to play for the small market teams, this made obvious by Eric Lindros who refused to play for the Quebec Nordiques, which was not only an insult and the death of one of Canada's most devoted hockey cities, it set an ideal that players could just walk away and still play in the league. Eric did not become "The Next" as was predicted, and the ironic thing is that the Nordiques who relocated in Denver Colorado as the Avalanche swept the Stanley Cup in their first year there. Then three years later one a second Lord Stanley's Grail. How many did Lindros win? Zero. He just complained about everything.

There was a salary cap in the 1990's ?

Its our opinions and involvement that make these sports popular and mainstream. Otherwise the NHL is no different than a bunch of people playing beer league at the local rink. We invest our time and money into these sports and with that comes a avid interest on how these teams and players are utilized. Obviously we are not privy to every minute detial that goes on within an organization but with that we are still entitled to our opinions.

BTW I didn't read the op.

That's alright Tre Mac, the original post is immaterial, what is material is that you provided a reasonable and logical statement, and as I revealed in a latter remark, I have nil problems with opinions, only those that lack conviction, lack intelligent language skills, and are basically idiotic. I am not about to apologize for being old school and refusing to adapt to the butchering of language because society has been reduces to limited lines and characters through device texting. I am not about to sucumb to taking short cuts and reversing evolution by replacing language by icons and emoticons. I am not someone who just fell of the back of a turnip truck. I have been passionate about computers back when there was only the language of binary and computers were massive things that went to the ceiling and ran on huge reels of magnetic tape and filled an entire room, and that was even before people got excited about home computers that had a whopping 4K of memory. I am not disinclined to technology, but I am also not a slave to it. The concept of disposable technology is wrong in so many ways, yet that is exactly where we are today. It has turned humanity into lazy slush, with technology addiction. This is hard core fact, and not open for debate. Yes, there are many who have not fallen completely into the web, but the many are but a few when it comes to global numbers.

One can pile opinions and philosophy a mile high or a couple of kilometers if you want to be metric minded, but it does not erase the fact that we have been duped by the ideals of amazing bright and shiny toys with lots of features and pretty designs. One might even go as far to say, we have been seriously violated by one heck of an elaborate scam. Yet it is not the fault of the technology, the blame lays with those who control the marketing for they also manipulate the futures in stocks. The thing is they can fondle the futures and get away with it.

So yes, opinions are important, but we also should be wary of those minute details that we gloss over because, not our responsibility. That's like saying government is not our responsibility. Wonderful as Stephen Harper sells the rest of Canada for personal gain and profit. Yet he is listed as one of Canada's most trusted persons. Aren't polls and surveys such wonderful things? My most humble apology if you are a devout fan of Stephen Harper, I once respected him, but he changed his stage act long ago, and mocks Canada.

These are the people that answer the "poll" questions without really thinking about what is actually happening...the people that created the poll questions have done all your thinking for you, limiting the need for in depth answers for real problems. As an example, some typical poll questions, health care, education, crime....the same things time after time. This paragraph, funny, I wonder if most even know what a "paragraph" is, relates to those sheep. "It can't be because they said so"

Wow! Talk about phenomenon, I just wrapped up a reply where I mentioned my disregard towards polls as well as surveys, I didn't go into detail, I just laid out the sarcasm how wonderful they are. Yet they simply are designed to garner the answers they seek. They completely ignore that there are other probabilities to their question, but they are not in the selection of single picking of multiple choices, and no space provided for comment. If you don't poke an answer, the poll or survery will not complete until you make a choice. I just shut down the electronic ones and walk away from the mall pollsters, I agree to do the surveys, but if they ask a question that should have more options and I point that out and I am told it is not a viable option, I have to walk away. I can't be forced into making a choice that does not suit my needs as a citizen, a member of the community or as a consumer. In a sense I would consider it a form of entrapment. Yet since polls and surveys are the toys of the political faction the odds of getting them outlawed is zero to none.

scratchmb

While I might not agree with everything you wrote the responses are very entertaining and your post is a lot more in depth than "he stinks" or "he's good".

Some posters have exposed themselves as the sheep that will follow blindly, not bothering to form a thought because some where someone else has done their thinking for them. No need to read or develop an opinion of their own, just follow whatever is published in the shortest possible form, the comment with regards to the 128 character thought appears to be appropriate, short and uninformative without any explanation of reasoning. Why? Because that might take up too much of the valuable brain power to discover the why of the thought or whether it is a legitimate idea and to put it bluntly, showing a lack of ability to concentrate and follow through on an idea.

I thought to entertain the masses here by giving another long response to your post, by the time I have finished this post there will be 4 or more messages posted, likely less than intellectual in-depth thoughts, most probably one liners criticizing your analysis even though it was, to me, abbreviated, but to some it would require actual effort in reasoning and there was more than one idea at a time, hence the "paragraphs".

I am going to get flamed, but then this is just a screen and the person on the other end and their thoughts aren't really that important, this is just entertainment and I don't have to be here, I have flesh and blood people I communicate with.... in person.

So by your measure the value in a post is directly measured by it's volume. Sorry, but that doesn't pass the smell test for me- a mountain of $&!#e is still $&!#e. And I'm sorry if short forum posting using handheld devices doesn't measure up to your literary tastes, but like you said, you and your "real people" don't have to soil yourselves by reading it. What condescending twaddle.

Heard that was canceled because people would rather watch paint dry.

Coryberg, it really is not very sporting to ride on the tail of my spoof. That makes you a pitiful hack or a crappy heckler, take your pick, either works for me. Unless you actually were not able to recognize satire and took it in the literal sense that I would actually perform stand up comedy, then I withdraw my earlier assesment. You just like to give lip service, tsk, tsk tsk. Does it make you feel cool and hip? Where do you get your material? The Book of the Lame Cliches? Thanks for dropping by, do so again when you have an original thought.

I found it an interesting read...wish more people put this kind of thought into their posts.

The only part I don't agree with is this:

The team needs players who want to be here. It does hurt to give up some players that we thought would retire here, but as I keep reminding you, business comes first, sentiment is only our burden to bare.

It sort of stands in conflict to me and is a contradiction. In one breath, the team "needs" them (players who want to be here...aka Bieksa) and, in the other, attachment to players is a burden and not part of business.

Players that "want" to be in place often are the ones most invested and that can come shining through in their dedication and determination (to stay put).

Business does come first and the Lions taught me to not get "too attached" as veterans were dealt at the first sign of slowing down. With that, it can bite you in the rear if their best is yet to come...it's not a given that age means nothing left in the tank. And some have more to prove as they age and desperately want "the prize" before they're done.

But I enjoyed your ideas, thanks.

Does anybody remember the name of the CDC poster from back in the 2009 era that used to make huge long posts about the canucks and hockey etc? his posts were very well written and always contained loads of interesting facts that he would dig up...they were a joy to read and almost everyone around here would love to read his stuff....he would always get loads of upvotes for his posts...which could easily get 100 plus votes even back when there was still the minus button?

Anyhow, sorry for being off topic, but its been bugging me, i wonder whatever happened to him and i wish i could remember what his user name was?

anybody have any ideas?

Wetcoaster? The lawyer, former player agent. He always had interesting stuff

That's alright Tre Mac, the original post is immaterial, what is material is that you provided a reasonable and logical statement, and as I revealed in a latter remark, I have nil problems with opinions, only those that lack conviction, lack intelligent language skills, and are basically idiotic. I am not about to apologize for being old school and refusing to adapt to the butchering of language because society has been reduces to limited lines and characters through device texting. I am not about to sucumb to taking short cuts and reversing evolution by replacing language by icons and emoticons. I am not someone who just fell of the back of a turnip truck. I have been passionate about computers back when there was only the language of binary and computers were massive things that went to the ceiling and ran on huge reels of magnetic tape and filled an entire room, and that was even before people got excited about home computers that had a whopping 4K of memory. I am not disinclined to technology, but I am also not a slave to it. The concept of disposable technology is wrong in so many ways, yet that is exactly where we are today. It has turned humanity into lazy slush, with technology addiction. This is hard core fact, and not open for debate. Yes, there are many who have not fallen completely into the web, but the many are but a few when it comes to global numbers.

One can pile opinions and philosophy a mile high or a couple of kilometers if you want to be metric minded, but it does not erase the fact that we have been duped by the ideals of amazing bright and shiny toys with lots of features and pretty designs. One might even go as far to say, we have been seriously violated by one heck of an elaborate scam. Yet it is not the fault of the technology, the blame lays with those who control the marketing for they also manipulate the futures in stocks. The thing is they can fondle the futures and get away with it.

So yes, opinions are important, but we also should be wary of those minute details that we gloss over because, not our responsibility. That's like saying government is not our responsibility. Wonderful as Stephen Harper sells the rest of Canada for personal gain and profit. Yet he is listed as one of Canada's most trusted persons. Aren't polls and surveys such wonderful things? My most humble apology if you are a devout fan of Stephen Harper, I once respected him, but he changed his stage act long ago, and mocks Canada.

100 1001 101 0100 100 1010 101 0101 101 0011 101 0100 110 0001 100 0111 110 0001 100 1101 100 0101

Hutton is old for a rookie?

Huh?

Do the math, the trend for at least the last decade and more was to get the young talent on the ice as quick as they are released from the junior obligation, sooner if possible. The league is loaded with 18 and 19 year old youths who are getting all kinds of off the sheet contract offers. At the same time there are players that are 21 and 22 that are already considered seasoned rookies. Don't believe me? Then take a hard look at the Edmonton Oiler's line up. That lot will be a cup contender before the Canucks will. Don't get me wrong, I am a solid Canucks fan, but Edmonton set the bar on team building, and they still have some guys who have been in the Oiler's organization when they were still in the WHA some 37 years ago. They may not be high on the list of management but they are still managing equipment, scouting issues, media intervention, and marketing support. Young players are in awe to see these old guys digging in and working hard, and telling tales of the early years of NHL expansion and the successful streak of the Oiler's. B.C. may be rivals of Alberta, but they hold a high respect for the Edmonton organization, but not so much for the Calgary Flames, there is no love loss there. If interdivision and interconference trading was not frowned upon, there would be players going back and forth between Edmonton and Vancouver like a revolving door. It would not change how they played on the ice, that still would carry the emotion. Yet, the league is not in favor or teams in proxiimity trading, which of course is ironic because out west, only in California there is any proximity, and for some odd reason the rule does not apply out east where just about all eastern teams other than Florida are in proximity. So, what's with the frowning. Of course, they are starting to ease up on that a little, but there is still the mindset that trading hot players to teams that could be a divisional or a conference threat later on is still a bit of a stigma.

But back to the topic, the shape of hockey has changed, there was a time when the average age of a rookie was 25 and men were still playing professional hockey well into their 40s. But Canada's national game became a lovefest in many of the colder countries of the Northern Hemisphere and the Europeans especially the Russians adapted a new style of athlete, that was more toned and muscular, built for speed and agility, and made the game a high energy spectacle, with not so much of the North American physical style of hockey. We soon discovered in international play that these guys were near impossible to plow into and they simply skated circles around the creators and beasts of hockey. The NHL were compelled to introduce this method to North America, including the larger ice surface. They started to come, some Russian project went weird such as Vladimir Krutov who discovered the miracle of McDonalds and nobody to threaten to send him to the Russian front for eating to his heart's content. He was a nice guy but put on weight too quickly and it was his downfall. Hey, free from oppression and forced discipline, some are bound to let loose and kick their heels. Yet most Russian players maintained their practice of discipline and were humble and low key, well until superstar Pavel Bure came along, who was an on ice wizard, but off ice he was heading for trouble and trouble found him. Yet because of the European aspect the game became faster, stonger, and a whole different skill set. It started to demand younger players to get in quick to learn the ropes to build teams around.

Ben Hutton was a complete and total surprize. He has shown his tendency for ability obviously or he wouldn't have even been in the Canucks camp. Yet the level of maturity and unexpected skill set he brought with him was not the same he had shown as a probable prospect for the future.

He stepped up and decided to abandon anyone's idea of a future prospect and stake his claim now. How can anyone not applaud him for that. If he improves steadily each game, he may very well gain enough attention to earn an nomination for the Calder Memorial Trophy. Okay, sorry too much optomism, but he is not hesitant to shoot the puck at the net. Something that seems to escape Tanev, he is more of a passer than a shooter, he doesn't mind moving up in the offensive zone to lay out some body hits and dig out a puck and put on the stick of a team mate before retreating to a defensive position, but he still delays a tad on his shots toward the net. There is nothing wrong with the strength of his shot, it's a blast, but even the slightest delay is a tell, and the best he will get is either a weird lucky bounce, and tip in, but in most cases a descent rebound to keep the puck in zone control. I like Tanev, but he is reluctant to release the beast. He looks like a cross between a Nordic warrior and a Knight Templar, always with the brooding serious look, as if he smiled his face would crack like stone. If only he had some Harold Snepts in him then he would be a sight to see.

Hey! Watch your language, there are children present.

In all seriousness your opinion was fine , but was a little hard to follow! Lots of ideas in your original post, like having a conversation with random ideas on the same subject. Works fine in person, face to face, when you can observe the persons pause in ideas not some much on screen in a mini document.

I found it an interesting read...wish more people put this kind of thought into their posts.

The only part I don't agree with is this:

It sort of stands in conflict to me and is a contradiction. In one breath, the team "needs" them (players who want to be here...aka Bieksa) and, in the other, attachment to players is a burden and not part of business.

Players that "want" to be in place often are the ones most invested and that can come shining through in their dedication and determination (to stay put).

Business does come first and the Lions taught me to not get "too attached" as veterans were dealt at the first sign of slowing down. With that, it can bite you in the rear if their best is yet to come...it's not a given that age means nothing left in the tank. And some have more to prove as they age and desperately want "the prize" before they're done.

But I enjoyed your ideas, thanks.

Yet you are correct to the core because it is indded a contradiction that if said in the same breath borders on being an oxymoron, but that is the fate of both being a devout fan, and the organization looking at the big picture. At least they had the descency to inform Bieska up front before the deal was actually sealed. He was not happy, but he understood and was clear about their reasoning. Yet when he showed up in Anaheim and was received with open arms from the Ducks organization, the veteran players, and amazingly the fans, it put the smile right back on Kevin's face. Anaheim wanted him for his leadership ability on the ice and in the dressing room. I can assure you that Ryan Kesler has a huge input on that. Kesler knows very well the magic of Beiska's humour and personality that attracts like a magnet. We will surely miss him. and I am positive we will honor Kevin with all of the regalia he deserves and possibly retire his jersey to the rafters as well put him on the wall. Missed but not forgotten. He will serve the community of Anaheim with the same passion he did in Vancouver because he is just that kind of a guy.

Meanwhile it was necessary to get more grit in the Vancouver lineup. Yes, I know, Kevin has grit in spades, but he can't be on the ice everywhere for 60 minutes of play. Vancouver needs to send the message that they are tired of being pushed around. If other teams do not want to play hockey and instead use bully tactics to wear down our best players so they are exhausted come the end of the season and don't have the energy to hold out through the playoffs, then Vancouver has to start to dish it out as well, but it doesn't hurt if the scouts have the knack to find some toughness with a flare for talent as a kicker.

Archived