The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ranking our Canuck Defencemen (Discussion)

J.I.A.H.N

Ranking the Canuck Defencemen  

145 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This isn't much of a poll if you've pre selected the top 3 by limiting us to 4 options.  Hutton doesn't belong in the contention when he's only played 6 games. 

Mine are 

Edler 

Hamhuis 

Tanev 

Sbisa 

Weber 

Hutton

Bart 

Hamhuis is by far our best defensive D Man, and he elevates the play of anyone he is paired with. Major reason Tanev has turned out as well as he has in my opinion is due to the time he spent playing with Hamhuis.

Edler is our next best D man but is really not a #1 D man. As much as people complain about Hamhuis not having a huge offensive game, Edler really doesn’t either. He has a decent shot but he doesn't use it well and can't seem to get the puck on net very often. Paired with the high number of turnovers he creates by bad passes or mishandling the puck I take Hamhuis over Edler 10/10. 

IMO the D is the weakness in the team this season. Neither Edler or Tanev are playing their best hockey. I thought Weber had earned himself a roster spot with his play last season. He showed IMO that he was a top 6 player. But Bartkowski and Sbisa get the political vote from JB. Very disapointed that after all these years of development the club afforded Corrado they give him away. A young player who most know can play a more than competant game

Edler

Hamhuis

Tanev

Bartkowski

Sbisa

Hutton

Weber

* Bartkowski continues to be underrated for some reason as well Hutton to me appears to be overrated on this site. Sbisa brings a more physical element but Bartkowski's rushing play and transition puts him in a better position to succeed as a Canucks defenseman this year.

Weber is being under-utliized but i'd credit Hutton's strong play for that, it will be interesting to see if Hutton starts to tail off as the season drags on.

Hamhuis and Edler make no mistake are the two anchors here, Tanev continues to come along but his real lack of offensive ability and production along with his lack of physical play for me keep him below Hamhuis at this time.

I guess I'm part of the consensus (surprisingly) since the poll results (at time of writing) perfectly match my own votes: Edler, Tanev, Hamhuis, Hutton, Sbisa.

And it seems that the coaches agree, based on usage and ice time stats. Although Bartkowski has played slightly higher minutes/game than Sbisa so I suppose he might be considered #5. However, based on play to-date, I'd say that Bart has actually had more "bad games" and made more questionable decisions overall than Sbisa (which is very surprising--and pleasantly so, at least in terms of Sbisa having less "pizzas" so far this year). But to be fair, this is only based on my very subjective "eye test" so I can't really fault anyone who ranks Bartkowski ahead of Sbisa. I just think Sbisa has had a couple strong games that were enough to put him at #5 (for the time being).

Weber could easily climb the rankings if he gets more games.  But based on this season to-date, he's on the outside looking in, as far as ranking the top-5 goes.

And Hutton could also climb, based on his upside and the potential he's already shown this season. I wouldn't be surprised to see him challenge for spot #3 in the order by season's end (which would be a very impressive rookie campaign for any defenseman).

Similarly, Hamhuis might slip, if he continues to show some rather worrisome indications of possible age-related decline (especially in terms of his mobility and strength).  That said, Hamhuis also tends to be a bit of a slow starter most years and he usually ends ups settling in and being one of our most solid and dependable defenders (often arguably our best all-around D). But if the rankings are based on this season, his current #3 spot might be propped up a little by reputation and past performance (since he has struggled a bit through the first few games).

Tanev is great. In part because he plays within limitations. Which is important because there are things he just cannot offer that some of the other guys can. Albeit he has improved mobility carrying the puck this year. Also his strength. Still? That's why he's number three despite being our steadiest guy.

Edler, Hamhuis, Tanev, Hutton, Pizza, Bart, Weber

Archived