The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tuesday Practice - line ups and tidbits

Ossi Vaananen

burrows is the best fit for the sedins but they have to help vrbata get his touch back...but they may plan on show casing  him to trade..just a guess...not from any knowledge....

i finally got back into cdc..kept me out for a few days...if you got me in deb, thank you lass.

I actually went to the practice at UBC.  I can add a few more things:

• The first power play unit now has Sutter playing the point with Edler.  Vrbata is playing on the left side near the goal line.  Sutter looked decent back there, but passed on a couple of shooting opportunities.
  • McCann and Virtanen were a penalty kill unit.  McCann actually stripped Edler a couple times when he was trying to rush the puck in
  • The Sedins rubbed it in Virtanen's face when they scored.  It was a pretty funny sight.
  • The second power play unit is Burrows-Horvat-Baertschi.  They looked quite good with great puck movement.
  • Weber looked the freshest while doing laps 
  • Markstrom does not look anywhere close to ready.  Not much movement, just working on his blocker and glove saves

I will be doing my best to attend to most of their practices at UBC throughout the season so hopefully I can add more in addition to the Twitter updates from the local reporters.

Awesome post, look forward to hearing more!

Horvat needs to get going ASAP. Our playoff hopes live or die with him.

I like him in a 3rd line role where he faces weaker D-men.

Sad to see Cracknell out of the lineup when he does play his role so well.

Would rather Baertschi sit out a game and we play this bottom 6:

McCann - Horvat - Virtanen

Prust - Cracknell - Dorsett

Horvat needs to get going ASAP. Our playoff hopes live or die with him.

I like him in a 3rd line role where he faces weaker D-men.

Sad to see Cracknell out of the lineup when he does play his role so well.

Would rather Baertschi sit out a game and we play this bottom 6:

McCann - Horvat - Virtanen

Prust - Cracknell - Dorsett

I'm thinking the same except you can call Horvat's line the 3rd line but it will score more and play as much as the 2nd line.

Bo may be having trouble with the extra workload. He's being played on the PK, PP, and he's even hit 19 minutes against Anaheim. This is just my guess as to why he's been slumping lately, but I just don't believe in the sophmore slump. He'll adjust to the added workload and the greater quality of competition through time, but putting him with regular linemates will go a long way in helping him find his groove. I'd really like to see him play with Burrows and McCann for a couple games. Speed, skill, grit. 

I'm thinking the same except you can call Horvat's line the 3rd line but it will score more and play as much as the 2nd line.

Yes, and use Sutter to do the heavy match up work.  That's what JB traded for him for.  And when you're the third line up, you go against an easier D pairing.

Bo may be having trouble with the extra workload. He's being played on the PK, PP, and he's even hit 19 minutes against Anaheim. This is just my guess as to why he's been slumping lately, but I just don't believe in the sophmore slump. He'll adjust to the added workload and the greater quality of competition through time, but putting him with regular linemates will go a long way in helping him find his groove. I'd really like to see him play with Burrows and McCann for a couple games. Speed, skill, grit. 

Yes regular linemates...that's all that is slowing him down, Bo is spending too much time trying to figure out what to expect from his wingers.

Burrows...maybe... but I like the kid line and McCann in place of Baer may be even better.

Yes, and use Sutter to do the heavy match up work.  That's what JB traded for him for.  And when you're the third line up, you go against an easier D pairing.

Yes ...for now.

As soon as Bo's line starts producing they may get targeted as the 2nd line defensively.

The thing is Bo is trying to do just what he was doing at the end of last year but with a different winger every game...too distracting.

I actually went to the practice at UBC.  I can add a few more things:

• The first power play unit now has Sutter playing the point with Edler.  Vrbata is playing on the left side near the goal line.  Sutter looked decent back there, but passed on a couple of shooting opportunities.
  • McCann and Virtanen were a penalty kill unit.  McCann actually stripped Edler a couple times when he was trying to rush the puck in
  • The Sedins rubbed it in Virtanen's face when they scored.  It was a pretty funny sight.
  • The second power play unit is Burrows-Horvat-Baertschi.  They looked quite good with great puck movement.
  • Weber looked the freshest while doing laps 
  • Markstrom does not look anywhere close to ready.  Not much movement, just working on his blocker and glove saves

I will be doing my best to attend to most of their practices at UBC throughout the season so hopefully I can add more in addition to the Twitter updates from the local reporters.

Thatta Boy!

it's really easy to blame the revolving linemates for horvat's lack of production, because we all want desperately for him to succeed, but the reality is so far this season his play has been lackluster. 

in the preseason he was great, but every since the regular season started he's been invisible offensively. defensively he's been ok, but in the offensive zone he's struggling big time to win battles and control the puck along the wall, and he hasn't been able to drive the net with possession. 

it's really easy to blame the revolving linemates for horvat's lack of production, because we all want desperately for him to succeed, but the reality is so far this season his play has been lackluster. 

in the preseason he was great, but every since the regular season started he's been invisible offensively. defensively he's been ok, but in the offensive zone he's struggling big time to win battles and control the puck along the wall, and he hasn't been able to drive the net with possession. 

I think Bo would agree with you too.  He's a class, stand up, take responsibility player, who would be accountable for his play.  He'll be our next number one centre and captain.  

I like these lines, and seem to be one of few fans who doesn't mind Vrbata with the twins.   It keeps our most consistent scoring line together while the 4 new forwards settle in with their line mates.  Hopefully Willie D keeps them together 3-4 games regardless of output so they can build some chemistry.  

Bo worked well with Kenins, also Hansen & Dorsett; because when he dumped the puck up ice in the corner, after a steal, they hauled ass and retrieved the puck. That's not Vrbta's game. Nor Baertschi.

They want and need to play with a guy who, like them, is carrying the puck over the blue line. Handling the puck, holding off pressure and buying them time and space to cut into scoring lanes. There is no sense having guys like them on the roster if our intent is to play dump and chase.

Exactly.  Bo needs wingers that go boldly into the o zone and are willing to do what it takes to get the puck to the net. 

I would like to see Baer play on a line with McCann and (one of defensively responsible vets).  McCann needs a playmaker who has speed.

Funny how the vets are so needed on these lines eh

I like these lines, and seem to be one of few fans who doesn't mind Vrbata with the twins.   It keeps our most consistent scoring line together while the 4 new forwards settle in with their line mates.  Hopefully Willie D keeps them together 3-4 games regardless of output so they can build some chemistry.  

hopefully JB trades Vrbe to Clumbus in a deal to get JJ, and we are jumping with bloody joy!  The twins can make a plug into a player, so it doesn't matter who they have on their wing.

The way I'm reading this discussion, there are 2 options.  One, each line does all things with a sniper, a play maker, and a fore checker.  Or, two, each line plays a role:  offense, match up etc.

Line up 1

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Baertschi Horvat Hansen

Higgins Sutter Vrbata

Dorsett McCann Virtanen

Line up 2

Sedin Sedin Vrbata.........offense / possession

Burrows Sutter Hansen........match up / shut down

Baertschi Horvat Virtanen.......offense / speed

Dorsett Cracknell Prust.......traditional 4th / physical energy line

I'm not exactly happy with either line up in it's entirety although with the players they have now, maybe a combination would be more effective.  Players could clearly be moved around and the finished product would depend on whether one or both of Virtanen or McCann stick.  As time goes on and the rookies, Horvat and Baertschi develop more closely into the players they project to be, we will know which of the veterans can or should be traded.  There are lots of moving parts and uncertainty which is why this is so difficult.

The way I'm reading this discussion, there are 2 options.  One, each line does all things with a sniper, a play maker, and a fore checker.  Or, two, each line plays a role:  offense, match up etc.

Line up 1

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Baertschi Horvat Hansen

Higgins Sutter Vrbata

Dorsett McCann Virtanen

Line up 2

Sedin Sedin Vrbata.........offense / possession

Burrows Sutter Hansen........match up / shut down

Baertschi Horvat Virtanen.......offense / speed

Dorsett Cracknell Prust.......traditional 4th / physical energy line

I'm not exactly happy with either line up in it's entirety although with the players they have now, maybe a combination would be more effective.  Players could clearly be moved around and the finished product would depend on whether one or both of Virtanen or McCann stick.  As time goes on and the rookies, Horvat and Baertschi develop more closely into the players they project to be, we will know which of the veterans can or should be traded.  There are lots of moving parts and uncertainty which is why this is so difficult.

I don't like Hanson in the top six and he's in both your options?

I don't like Hanson in the top six and he's in both your options?

Well, I said that I wasn't exactly happy with the line ups that I posted.

The first one, I was searching for a fore checking right winger and came up with Hansen.  I would prefer Viratnen but he's not ready for top 6 imo.

The 2nd one, line 2 and line 3 are interchangeable and ice time over a number of games may average out and be equal.  Line 2 is not necessarily the 2nd best line but they would go up against the Ovechkin line for example and face top 4 defenders.  As part of a checking / match-up line I think Hansen would be fine.

The post was just to bring together 2 schools of thought and to illustrate what they might look like.  It's just theoretical.  I guess I wasn't clear on that.

Archived