The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

GDT: Around the NHL Week of October (19-23) 2015

I will never cheer against him.  He's such a classy player, who always stood up here.  But I must admit I'm happy the Ducks are doing so crappy.  Is chubby round head (I forgot the coach's name) on the hot seat?

Boudreau is definitely on the hot seat.

I wouldn't be surprised if they go back to Carlyle.

ya, they waited too long or they could have grabbed Torts!  ;)  what about Marc Crawford?  I don't get why he's not getting another look.

Marc Crawford can't leave his team in Zurich to coach in the NHL until season's end, it's in his contract. Guy Boucher made it clear that he's staying in Switzerland for the entire season back in June.

Habs are on a roll! 8-0-0 now.

Price is on his way to another great seasons, definitely the best goalie in the league right now.

1. Price

2. Lundqvist

3. Rinne

Top 3 goalies in the past 3-4 years

Not to take anything away from Price, but 4 of those 8 wins are against the Leafs, Sens, Pens and Sabres...to be blunt, those teams are all really awful. The shutouts of the Rangers and Blues are impressive to be sure, but the East seems to be full of poor teams, the Wings and Bruins aren't really that great either. Are there even six 'bad' teams in the Western Conference? I hadn't even mentioned the Jackets, another Eastern team that has been a disaster.

Not to take anything away from Price, but 4 of those 8 wins are against the Leafs, Sens, Pens and Sabres...to be blunt, those teams are all really awful. The shutouts of the Rangers and Blues are impressive to be sure, but the East seems to be full of poor teams, the Wings and Bruins aren't really that great either. Are there even six 'bad' teams in the Western Conference? I hadn't even mentioned the Jackets, another Eastern team that has been a disaster.

It's not just the number of wins. But the manner in which Montreal is winning. 

They've allowed 9 goals over 8 games and have scored 30.  For a differential of +21 (next closest team is Washigton at +11)

They haven't given up a 1st period goal and only given up 1 3rd period goal

They've trailed the other team for a grand total of 1:57 combined over 8 games

2 of the wins against the weaker teams you mentioned came with a backup goalie in  net who now has 2 NHL games under his belt

They've gone from being a weak possession team that relied on an all world goalie to a strong balanced team that doesn't rely nearly as much on that goalie

They're getting scoring from all 4 lines (Weise and Mitchell each have 3 goals, they would be leading the Canucks in goal scoring)

Most of these things aren't sustainable of course, and yes, the streak will end. But they just tied the record for the most consecutive regulation wins to start a season. What they've done so far is special. I don't see your need to try to discount it.

It's not just the number of wins. But the manner in which Montreal is winning. 

They've allowed 9 goals over 8 games and have scored 30.  For a differential of +21 (next closest team is Washigton at +11)

They haven't given up a 1st period goal and only given up 1 3rd period goal

They've trailed the other team for a grand total of 1:57 combined over 8 games

2 of the wins against the weaker teams you mentioned came with a backup goalie in  net who now has 2 NHL games under his belt

They've gone from being a weak possession team that relied on an all world goalie to a strong balanced team that doesn't rely nearly as much on that goalie

They're getting scoring from all 4 lines (Weise and Mitchell each have 3 goals, they would be leading the Canucks in goal scoring)

Most of these things aren't sustainable of course, and yes, the streak will end. But they just tied the record for the most consecutive regulation wins to start a season. What they've done so far is special. I don't see your need to try to discount it.

I am not 'discounting' it, but tempering it with some reasonable assessment of their situation. 

I am simply pointing out that most of the opposition (with a couple exceptions of which I took time to mention) have been mediocre.

Montreal is the best team in their division by a huge margin (even moreso than Tampa ATM)  and aside from maybe Washington in the Metro division, it would be hard to imagine another Eastern team beating them right now.

My main point is that it's not so much the impressiveness of Montreal that surprises me as much as the mediocrity of so many Eastern Conference teams this season  (Columbus, Pittsburgh, Detroit, Boston, even Toronto I expected more) 

Not to mention, it's still October. If the Habs are still this dominant in January, then we would be seeing something special.

Archived