The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Value of) Madison Bowey

Mr.53

I don't think anyone is shocked to hear, we need help on the back end. Our defence is weak and our prospect pool isn't the strongest back there either. Ben Hutton has shown to be a quality two-way rookie. After him we have some decent prospects like Brisebois and Subban, but not much. Don't get me wrong, I like what we have. However, after losing both Adam Clendening and Frank Corrado, we are in need of right handed defencemen, and a quality one at that.

I have long been a fan of Madison Bowey. 20 years old, he is a great all around player on the backend. 6'1, 200+ pounds he has NHL size too. He is a great skater, moving fast forwards as well as laterally, and has a powerful acceleration to boot. Since being drafted, he needed to work on using his speed and size to add a physical element to his game. Over the years, he's figured it out, making him a dynamic defender. He has good QB ability, able to dish tape to tape passes accompanies with a strong shot. Good vision and IQ when it comes to positioning. He was captain of the Kelowna Rockets who won the WHL championship too.

All in all, Bowey is a beast. I think he is the real deal and will be a force in this league. Fits what the Canucks need majorly, and the idea of Bo leading the forwards and Bowey leading the D for years to come is definately something worth turning heads over.. This is probably more of a pipe dream than anything. But what do you think his value is to us? Would you be willing to break the bank or no? I'm not saying we have top notch forward prospect depth but we have a strong group of kids.

Not including McCann, Virtanen, Horvat, Baertschi, who have made the team,

Shinkaruk Cassels Boeser

Gaunce Vey Jensen

Stewart Zukenov Grenier

I would be willing to part with some of that depth to pick up Bowey.

I'd honestly give Shinkaruk, Jensen, and a high draft pick. It's a very steep price, but you have to give to get, and I think Bowey has legitimate top pairing potential in his future. You guys think this is a fair deal? Too high or too low? I know it probably won't happen but just for conversation sake. I'm honestly curious.

Hahah...good luck with that!

The only way Capitals are going to part with Bowey is if 1) it is a deal they just can't say no to, and 2) it helps them win now (they have a 2-year window here to do damage). A mixed bag of maybes isn't going to even register for them.

The Canucks won't get him, because teams don't like giving up highly rated defensive prospects. After "losing" Green in FA, the Caps won't be looking to move Bowey.

Instead of trying to trade for a defensive prospect, perhaps the Canucks should stop trading their second round picks and draft their own (*cough* Andersson *cough*).

Do you honestly think a 30% shot at a Sbisa type player is better than a 50% shot at a top 6 forward?

I think drafting and developing your own defensive talent works better than trading for someone else's scraps (ie. Sbisa)

Hey guys, this is my first ever post/reply! I've been reading the forums for awhile now and decided to finally join the conversation.

Right-handed stud young defenseman are the rarest thing in hockey. In my opinion, Bowey is pretty much in the same tier as Jones.

But if there was a coaching dispute or he was not happy with management or something, the cost would be something like:

McCann + Subban + Boeser + 1st

I don't think anyone is shocked to hear, we need help on the back end. Our defence is weak and our prospect pool isn't the strongest back there either. Ben Hutton has shown to be a quality two-way rookie. After him we have some decent prospects like Brisebois and Subban, but not much. Don't get me wrong, I like what we have. However, after losing both Adam Clendening and Frank Corrado, we are in need of right handed defencemen, and a quality one at that.

I have long been a fan of Madison Bowey. 20 years old, he is a great all around player on the backend. 6'1, 200+ pounds he has NHL size too. He is a great skater, moving fast forwards as well as laterally, and has a powerful acceleration to boot. Since being drafted, he needed to work on using his speed and size to add a physical element to his game. Over the years, he's figured it out, making him a dynamic defender. He has good QB ability, able to dish tape to tape passes accompanies with a strong shot. Good vision and IQ when it comes to positioning. He was captain of the Kelowna Rockets who won the WHL championship too.

All in all, Bowey is a beast. I think he is the real deal and will be a force in this league. Fits what the Canucks need majorly, and the idea of Bo leading the forwards and Bowey leading the D for years to come is definately something worth turning heads over.. This is probably more of a pipe dream than anything. But what do you think his value is to us? Would you be willing to break the bank or no? I'm not saying we have top notch forward prospect depth but we have a strong group of kids.

Not including McCann, Virtanen, Horvat, Baertschi, who have made the team,

Shinkaruk Cassels Boeser

Gaunce Vey Jensen

Stewart Zukenov Grenier

I would be willing to part with some of that depth to pick up Bowey.

I'd honestly give Shinkaruk, Jensen, and a high draft pick. It's a very steep price, but you have to give to get, and I think Bowey has legitimate top pairing potential in his future. You guys think this is a fair deal? Too high or too low? I know it probably won't happen but just for conversation sake. I'm honestly curious.

This is what you'd guys give up for Bowey?

I have watched him play in kelowna for a few seasons now, game in and out.  Guys a stud no question.  But seriously...come on.  He's still a raw prospect, he's still never played outside of the CHL for any serious amount of time and you'd be gutting the team's prospects just to pick up a maybe.

You look at any of those packages and add a surefire vet or eat some cap and you're looking at Pitts or Anaheims top D prospects as a return, not Bowey.  And even then I think some analysts would question the intelligence of giving up so much for a possibility

Many maybes for 1 maybe is still only a possibility

This is what you'd guys give up for Bowey?

I have watched him play in kelowna for a few seasons now, game in and out.  Guys a stud no question.  But seriously...come on.  He's still a raw prospect, he's still never played outside of the CHL for any serious amount of time and you'd be gutting the team's prospects just to pick up a maybe.

You look at any of those packages and add a surefire vet or eat some cap and you're looking at Pitts or Anaheims top D prospects as a return, not Bowey.  And even then I think some analysts would question the intelligence of giving up so much for a possibility

Many maybes for 1 maybe is still only a possibility

In terms of defensive prospects how many are better than Bowey?

Hanifin, Sanheim, Pulock, Pouliot, Theodore? Bowey is way up there, IMO.

Value for Bowey would be a Leon Draistal or a Jordan Eberle; we don't have the tools to impress capitals. I doubt they want Vrbata but stranger trades have taken place at deadline day; however, i doubt management move Vrbata, Look at last year, they refused to trade Mathias or Higgins, so why would this year be any different. 

Value for Bowey would be a Leon Draistal or a Jordan Eberle; we don't have the tools to impress capitals. I doubt they want Vrbata but stranger trades have taken place at deadline day; however, i doubt management move Vrbata, Look at last year, they refused to trade Mathias or Higgins, so why would this year be any different. 

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL, if the caps are doing well at the deadline, and Vrbata is having even an OK year he would fetch Bowey, or a first, and I definitely think the caps would have interest in Vrbata to put their offense over the top.

last year Vermette fetched a first.. and don't forget Paul fkn Gaustad got a first at trade deadline..

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL, if the caps are doing well at the deadline, and Vrbata is having even an OK year he would fetch Bowey, or a first, and I definitely think the caps would have interest in Vrbata to put their offense over the top.

last year Vermette fetched a first.. and don't forget Paul fkn Gaustad got a first at trade deadline..

I'll agree to some of this.  If Vrbata is having a solid season and is above the 20 goal mark  come mid Janurary and trending upwards towards the 60+ point mark.  ya he'd fetch a prospect that good from the right team

Bowey aint that though.

There is no way we can capably afford a prospect for so many parts on our own side; with where our team is, to make it palatable over simply drafting 2 or 3 of our own this year

loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool if you think Vrbata would fetch you Bowey lol seriously, you think Capitals didn't watch the playoffs last year and see Vrbata hiding from physical play?

Archived