The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

suggestions for game day experience

demonis

hi all

my father is flying to Vancouver from overseas and I wanted to take him to the Canucks game. We are big hockey fans, although I go to see Canucks live only occasionally, and he had never been to an NHL hockey game before. I wanted to give him the best experience including the pre game skating, show etc. Maybe a couple of beers in some sports bar near the arena. Was hoping to get some suggestions or tips. What was your best game day experience?

Also what time do they open gates at the arena?

thanks in advance

Here's my game day experience -

• I wake up early to go to the airport. 
  • Hop on an airplane to Vancouver.
  • Arrive in Vancouver, pass through Customs, get on the train to go downtown. 
  • Arrive downtown.  Check into the hotel, shop, and eat.
  • Get ready for the game.  Arrive, drink, and enjoy!

There's nothing really exciting to my game day experience, but I absolutely love going to Canucks games!

Go shotgun a few Lucky's under a bridge with the street life.

Smoke a huge doobie.

Casually drink at least 4 more Lucky's and smoke another doobie.

Don't eat.

Puke once then chug another beer.

Buy a pretzl.

Drink more beer.

Scream for 2 and a half hours.

Eat everything within a mile radius.

Slam more beers, then go on CDC and tell us what happened at the police station.

Smoke a huge doobie.

Don't eat.

Buy a pretzl.

Drink more beer.

Slam more beers, then go on CDC and tell us what happened at the police station.

Complain that event staff had it in for you despite sitting quietly and cheering respectfully only when everyone else was.

Get down there early to catch all the pregame stuff .  Doors are open at 6 or 6:30.

a cheap place to park is in Chinatown on keefer.  It's just on the other side of the soccer field from the stadium and is only a few bucks unlike everything else there at $20-$30

there are good eats and pints all over, use urbanspoon or zomato to find things near the stadium. I quick cheap eats ar sw hat you crave, try the Costco cafeteria across from the gate near the sky train.  Hotdog and a pop $1.50.  Not getting that deal inside the stadium. 

Smoke a huge doobie.

Don't eat.

Buy a pretzl.

Drink more beer.

Haha, after the first 2-3 steps in your list, do you still remember that you have a game to go to?

On a separate note, any good sports bar near the arena?

Thanks all for suggestions!

Get down there early to catch all the pregame stuff .  Doors are open at 6 or 6:30.

Thanks. When does pregame warmup starts? About 6:30 or earlier? This is definitely a must see for us, don't want to miss that. 

Here's my game day experience -

• I wake up early to go to the airport. 
  • Hop on an airplane to Vancouver.
  • Arrive in Vancouver, pass through Customs, get on the train to go downtown. 
  • Arrive downtown.  Check into the hotel, shop, and eat.
  • Get ready for the game.  Arrive, drink, and enjoy!

There's nothing really exciting to my game day experience, but I absolutely love going to Canucks games!

Ya, nothing really exciting about hopping on a plane and flying to a great city?

I'm not a drinker so I'm not sure where the best watering holes would be, but there seems to be a lot of options downtown for food and drink. Of course, they also have some good options inside Rogers Arena too, but that could be a bit pricey. What we usually do is head right for the Canucks Store once inside, I believe doors open at 6:00. Rogers Arena now has metal detectors at the door, just a heads-up. The Canucks Store gets packed pretty quickly, so if you're looking for souveniers, it's good to get this done first. Then head down to ice level and watch the pregame skate. Lineups are common during intermissions (washrooms, beer, food), so prepare for that. A walk around the concourse is good too, as they have displays and some interactive things to do. Just make sure you're in your seats when the players hit the ice and Mark Donnelly does the anthem. Hope you and your Dad enjoy the game. Go Canucks!

I usually head downtown around 4. First stop is Moxies on Georgia. Get a seat that overlooks the street. Great for people watching. The place gets busy around 5 so I'll be sure to order food before then. After a plate of wings, calamari and 3 pints of cold beer, I'll head to the gate where the team store is located.  Browse the overpriced team merchandise, and end up buying something. The Nuck hat selection is amongst the best you will ever see. By the time I'm finished there. The warm up is about to start. I'll usually try to stand just above the benches so I have  a good vantage point for both teams. Game time means two beers in my hands and a bag of peanuts with me until the final whistle. After the game I like to enjoy a beer or two at the fine establishment of the #5 Orange.  

Haha, after the first 2-3 steps in your list, do you still remember that you have a game to go to?

On a separate note, any good sports bar near the arena?

Well, I'd still remember...

Shark club is very close. Almost impossible to get in close to game time though, so show up early after going through the first 2-3 steps. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

* sigh * ... 30 days till I can see them in Anaheim. Few years ago I took my sister and bro-in-law (visiting from England) to a Ducks-Flames match. Their first ever hockey game.  They were bored and cold, so we left after 2 periods with score at 1-1.  On drive home, listening on car radio, IIRC, Calgary scored 3 goals and Ducks 2.  Ah well.

Archived