The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Jason Demers to have Player Safety hearing after elbow on former Canuck Nick Bonino

Odd.

Dallas Stars defenseman Jason Demers will have a hearing Friday with the NHL Department of Player Safety for a hit on Pittsburgh Penguins forward Nick Bonino during a game Thursday at Consol Energy Center in Pittsburgh.

Demers received a major penalty for elbowing and a game misconduct for the hit, which took place at 16:48 of the third period.

The following grounds are being considered for supplemental discipline: elbowing.

Dallas won the game 4-1.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=784457 

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/jason-demers-throws-arm-into-nick-bonino-s-head--video-023744640.html

Video:

Suspension worthy? I think it is. Maybe 1-2 games.

Not so much an intentional elbow but certainly reckless. Maybe one game, but I could see a fine or nothing as well because of the call on the ice.

Coach Johnston on Bonino: "I still have to talk to the doctors about a game situation but he was cleared for full practice today."

Looks like Bonino is cleared so there shouldn't be any injury factor. 

Not so much an intentional elbow but certainly reckless. Maybe one game, but I could see a fine or nothing as well because of the call on the ice.

Looks like Bonino is cleared so there shouldn't be any injury factor. 

What? He looked over his shoulder and then swung his arm back...

That was intentional, though I don't think he was looking to connect on the nose or try to really hurt Bonino.

Looked like he got clipped from someone up ice and was still pissed about it and took it out on Bonino.

What does Demers have to complain about? Don't see why he's yelling back. Suspend him for 8-10 games. That's exactly what they don't want hits to be anymore, shoulder on shoulder only. Obviously stops and looks and whales his elbow into Bonino's face. Poor Bones, NHL better not just slap Demers wrist, what an idiot.

What? He looked over his shoulder and then swung his arm back...

That was intentional, though I don't think he was looking to connect on the nose or try to really hurt Bonino.

Looked like he got clipped from someone up ice and was still pissed about it and took it out on Bonino.

Hence not an intentional elbow. Kind of like Kassian didn't intentionally high stick Gagner in the face, but it was reckless just the same.

Hence not an intentional elbow. Kind of like Kassian didn't intentionally high stick Gagner in the face, but it was reckless just the same.

It was an intentional elbow just didn't look like that part of the face was where he wanted to connect. I'm thinking he was aiming for the jaw as opposed to the nose. 

He got a game misconduct so I'd be ok with 1 game or a fine though. 

It was intentional. He may have not picked a specific part of the face, but he did a shoulder check, saw Bonino, and then deliberately got his elbow up to the height of Bonino's face so he has to own the consequences.

Deserves at least 1 game in my opinion.

Dallas Stars defenseman Jason Demers has been suspended for two games, without pay, for elbowing Pittsburgh Penguins forward Nick Bonino during NHL Game No. 93 in Pittsburgh on Thursday, October 22, the National Hockey League’s Department of Player Safety announced today.

The incident occurred at 16:48 of the third period. Demers was assessed a major penalty and game misconduct for elbowing.

Under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement and, based on his average annual salary, Demers will forfeit $36,559.14. The money goes to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.

For a full explanation of the decision, complete with video, please click on the following link.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=784491&navid=nhl:topheads 

Archived