The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

WD is out of his depth

Canucks Curse

15 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Check out NHL.com stats page.  You can filter it to get ice-time per game back far enough for it to matter.  It wasn't until 05/06 (Sedin's 5th year with the team) that Henrik was getting more than 4th for centers.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player

I think they developed just fine.

Someone is telling Whoppers. Nice try though...

Vancouver Canucks (2000–Present)[edit]

2000–2005[edit]

The 2000–01 NHL season was Henrik's first for the Canucks. His debut was the team's first game of the campaign on 5 October 2000, a 6–3 loss to the Philadelphia Flyers.[15] With the game, Henrik and Daniel became the fourth pair of twins to have played in the NHL.[15] Three days later, Henrik assisted on Daniel's first career NHL goal in a 5–4 win against the Tampa Bay Lightning.[16] The goal tied the game at 4 with 1:26 left in regulation.[16] In a 5–2 win against the Toronto Maple Leafs on 16 October 2000, Henrik scored his first NHL goal and added an assist on Daniel's second career goal.[17] Henrik tallied 29 points over the course of the campaign—second among team rookies to Daniel's 34 points.[18] He and Daniel played primarily on the Canucks' third line.[19]

Henrik improved to 36 points in his second NHL season; he finished with five goals in his last six games, taking his season total to 16.[20] In the opening game of the 2002 Stanley Cup playoffs, Henrik scored the overtime winner against the first-seeded Detroit Red Wings to put the Canucks 1–0 ahead in the series; it was his first NHL playoff goal.[21] Detroit went on to eliminate the Canucks in six games en route to winning the Stanley Cup.[22] During the 2002–03 season, Henrik suffered a sprained left shoulder that forced him out of three games.[23] He had sustained the injury during a game against the Edmonton Oilers on 14 December 2002.[24] Henrik also missed a game on 23 February 2003 because of a hand injury.[25] He played 78 games during 2002–03 and finished the campaign with 39 points.

After their third NHL season, Henrik and Daniel were re-signed to one-year, US$1.125 million contracts on 29 July 2003.[26] The Sedins began the2003–04 season on a line with first-year player Jason King.[27] The trio were named the "Mattress Line" (two twins and a King) and formed the Canucks' second scoring unit until King was reassigned to the team's minor league affiliate midway through the season

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

Someone is telling Whoppers. Nice try though...

Vancouver Canucks (2000–Present)[edit]

2000–2005[edit]

The 2000–01 NHL season was Henrik's first for the Canucks. His debut was the team's first game of the campaign on 5 October 2000, a 6–3 loss to the Philadelphia Flyers.[15] With the game, Henrik and Daniel became the fourth pair of twins to have played in the NHL.[15] Three days later, Henrik assisted on Daniel's first career NHL goal in a 5–4 win against the Tampa Bay Lightning.[16] The goal tied the game at 4 with 1:26 left in regulation.[16] In a 5–2 win against the Toronto Maple Leafs on 16 October 2000, Henrik scored his first NHL goal and added an assist on Daniel's second career goal.[17] Henrik tallied 29 points over the course of the campaign—second among team rookies to Daniel's 34 points.[18] He and Daniel played primarily on the Canucks' third line.[19]

Henrik improved to 36 points in his second NHL season; he finished with five goals in his last six games, taking his season total to 16.[20] In the opening game of the 2002 Stanley Cup playoffs, Henrik scored the overtime winner against the first-seeded Detroit Red Wings to put the Canucks 1–0 ahead in the series; it was his first NHL playoff goal.[21] Detroit went on to eliminate the Canucks in six games en route to winning the Stanley Cup.[22] During the 2002–03 season, Henrik suffered a sprained left shoulder that forced him out of three games.[23] He had sustained the injury during a game against the Edmonton Oilers on 14 December 2002.[24] Henrik also missed a game on 23 February 2003 because of a hand injury.[25] He played 78 games during 2002–03 and finished the campaign with 39 points.

After their third NHL season, Henrik and Daniel were re-signed to one-year, US$1.125 million contracts on 29 July 2003.[26] The Sedins began the2003–04 season on a line with first-year player Jason King.[27] The trio were named the "Mattress Line" (two twins and a King) and formed the Canucks' second scoring unit until King was reassigned to the team's minor league affiliate midway through the season

Good to know, as stats sometimes only tell part of the story.  However, Henrik still wasn't getting 3rd most minutes, according to NHL.com.  If you have evidence to the contrary, take your beef up with them.

Sedins were at least a full year older than Virt was on their respective debuts, and they are also higher picks (so, more skill and higher expectations).  Yet the Sedins still had to settle for lesser minutes than their teammates.  As they should.  While they develop.

2 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Good to know, as stats sometimes only tell part of the story.  However, Henrik still wasn't getting 3rd most minutes, according to NHL.com.  If you have evidence to the contrary, take your beef up with them.

Sedins were at least a full year older than Virt was on their respective debuts, and they are also higher picks (so, more skill and higher expectations).  Yet the Sedins still had to settle for lesser minutes than their teammates.  As they should.  While they develop.

Don't think they were quite built like Jake is now either....    Sedins were given quality minutes and opportunities from the get go.  Many people questioned the quality spots that they were given. Sure paid off.  

I just hope Jake and McCann are given similar opportunites. So far not so much.... Hopefully more soon.    Horvat seems to have been developed nicely. Love seeing him given some 2nd line responsibilities , even it is a bit premature. I think it is going to speed up his development....

53 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Don't think they were quite built like Jake is now either....    Sedins were given quality minutes and opportunities from the get go.  Many people questioned the quality spots that they were given. Sure paid off.  

I just hope Jake and McCann are given similar opportunites. So far not so much.... Hopefully more soon.    Horvat seems to have been developed nicely. Love seeing him given some 2nd line responsibilities , even it is a bit premature. I think it is going to speed up his development....

Apples and Orangutans. The Twins were 2nd and 3rd overall picks who had played professionally in Sweden before coming to Vancouver. They began their Canuck careers as 20 year-olds with pro experience.

19 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I get what you are saying, but the circumstances are different.  Sedins were expected to be stars, and the Canucks have been well rewarded for picking them #2,3.

I'm not yet sold on McCann.  He had a good start to the year, but IMO he has tailed off significantly, and as a result I have no problem with them reducing his minutes.  It's unfortunate that the first Sutter injury forced him to stay with the team instead of having him play in the WJC.   I have faith in what seems to be the plan with him... work on his conditioning so he can take the contact with the big boys out there.  No sense in breaking the kid before we find out how good he can be.

Virtanen will get there.  He's got good size, speed, and grit.  What he is missing in comparison to the Sedins when they were starting out are innate offensive talent and hockey IQ, so taking more time to develop him makes sense.  I'm ok with him getting 3-4th line minutes.  But. maybe reward him with some PP time when he's having a decent game.

2 hours ago, aliboy said:

Hey, Miller gets a win after a start and win by Markstrom! What was Miller's record in his previous 5 starts while Markstrom sat on the bench??

Yes I agree that a simple person would have said that Miller can`t play based on that stat. But an NHL coach looks at the big picture. Pretty hard for you to say that he screwed up on that one! I can`t believe the lack of respect for WD amongst some fans. His performace this year is coach of the year level!

21 minutes ago, coastal1 said:

Yes I agree that a simple person would have said that Miller can`t play based on that stat. But an NHL coach looks at the big picture. Pretty hard for you to say that he screwed up on that one! I can`t believe the lack of respect for WD amongst some fans. His performace this year is coach of the year level!

An NHL coach does what he needs to do to win, it's his job, a fan wearing rose colored glasses thinks everything he does is great.

1 minute ago, aliboy said:

An NHL coach does what he needs to do to win, it's his job, a fan wearing rose colored glasses thinks everything he does is great.

An idiot thinks everything the coach does is great. An informed fan looks at the overall results obtained with the resources available (how many rookies, how many injuries) and makes an assessemt of overall performance. To be in the playoff race, and develop  many young players (McCann, Hutton, Virtanen, Baertschi are all first year pros) and have so many key injuries (Hamhuis, Miller, Sutter..) is a masterful coaching performance.

Willie is certainly on the hot seat. But I figure he's going to remain a coach until at least next year. If the team, healthy, falters, he may be on the hot seat again, and not sure if he'll survive then. He needs to have a good season, or else he doesn't survive the year next season. 

I am not a Willy fan.

But Willy is not the central problem with our team. No coach could lead our team to a successful year this year.

Our team is very poorly assembled.  

We had years of poor drafting and years of giving NTC's out like candy.

Our GM made mistakes in getting Prust and Vrbata.  Both have major deficiences in their game. 

So although i am no fan of Willy, i am giving him a pass this year. Willy had next to nothing to work with so our poor season is on management.   I also do recognize that JB had his hands tied a bit with previous drafting and NTC's.

So actually i can give both JB and Willy a  pass this year.  Lets see how next year goes....

• 1 month later...
On 2016-02-10 at 2:06 PM, kingofsurrey said:

Horvat seems to have been developed nicely. Love seeing him given some 2nd line responsibilities , even it is a bit premature. I think it is going to speed up his development....

He was "developed" when we got him. With Willy though, Bo had to be stifled so that he could showcase Vey. Caliber players just need to play. Others never develop, or are too small.

12 minutes ago, snucks said:

He was "developed" when we got him. With Willy though, Bo had to be stifled so that he could showcase Vey. Caliber players just need to play. Others never develop, or are too small.

CapnAmerica_zpsb30a934a.gif

Willy coached this team to 100+ points last year..

I wont judge him until:

a) they have an NHL calibre defence.  This is the worst d core in the western conference.  Id keep Tryamkin and Hutton, everyone else is up for grabs.  On the whole the d core is butter soft, cant transition the puck, and generate pathetic amount of offence.  This hampers the team more than anything else

b)they dont have long term injuries to several key players.  I find it hard to believe they would be languishing in the basement if Sutter, Edler, Hamhuis and others werent injured for so long.

still dont like

a) his love of vey
b)line juggling

c)got out coached in the playoffs by a vet coach.  

If Willie pulls a Willie like this past November this coming mid November he will be ushered to the sidelines in short order fashion, especially if the team has no real injury player loss.

he needs to improve his line matching at home a balance to his line an player juggling(this seemed to hurt a few players autonomy this past year.

i understand somewhat his love of players he had coached before but still not a fan of throwing extra minutes at middle ing tweeners with limited upside.

He may surprise and do well but I think it is highly unlikely.the team he had for his 100 point season is a long way off comparison to this year but , no excuses next year he will be graded very hard .

Archived