The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDC Short term memory

MLT

You all seem to have some memory loss. I see everyone complaining everywhere about how the young guys are being under used. Does nobody remember how Horvat was introduced to the league? He was used VERY sparingly at the beginning of last season, even up until the 3/4 mark. It was prob thanks to this that he was so effective in the second half, and that his confidence was so high in the playoffs. 

Believe it or not WD knows more about hockey, and about rookie development than all you hacks. He is developing his young players properly. Slowly, as to limit their mistakes. 

These kids are not used to playing this many games in such a short span of time. They need to be introduced slowly or they'll have no gas left by late December. 

You all seem to have some memory loss. I see everyone complaining everywhere about how the young guys are being under used. Does nobody remember how Horvat was introduced to the league? He was used VERY sparingly at the beginning of last season, even up until the 3/4 mark. It was prob thanks to this that he was so effective in the second half, and that his confidence was so high in the playoffs. 

Believe it or not WD knows more about hockey, and about rookie development than all you hacks. He is developing his young players properly. Slowly, as to limit their mistakes. 

These kids are not used to playing this many games in such a short span of time. They need to be introduced slowly or they'll have no gas left by late December. 

It's funny because a lot of the people complaining about the youngsters not getting enough ice time are the same ones who claim that the Oilers have "ruined" their prospects...

TBH, the Canucks are doing better than I expected so far this season. Willie deserves props, if anything.

I wouldn't go so far as to say CDC members are hacks for their opinions. May be a surprise but there are a lot of knowledgeable hockey fans and people who played, coached, managed in hockey and some at the highest levels so I wouldn't write off and generalize CDCers as hacks lol.

But for the most part the appraoch by WD I have no issue with, some players are able and thrive however on monstrous minutes and getting into every game.

Nobody objected to Horvat's less ice time because he was not amongst 3 other kids. With Baertschi, McCann and Virtanen, we cant afford to give them 7 minutes a night. Its not practical. That is a full line on the bench. Add that to the fact that Horvat was coming off injury, making it more imporant to ease him in.

Referring to McCann and Virtanen, I was hoping that they would see plenty of ice for their 9 games so that a PROPER evaluation of their situation could be made at that time. But now, particularly in Jake's case, I don't think the Canucks will have much idea of what they have by the 9 game point. He hasn't had enough TOI to get into the action. No panic from me because I don't care one iota about the standings. I just want what's best for the kids because they are the players here that really matter.

Watch this place explode when Virt gets sent back to Junior when Higgins returns from injury,

and then McCann gets sent back to Junior and Vey is recalled from Utica

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSpqR7sWl0u75cx41MyPMX

This is what I have foreseen.  Hutton may also get sent back to Utica.

This place gets really bad when Bartshci, Vey and whoever gets the icetime from the kids do not perform well.

Worse, when kids from other Canadian market teams do perform well because they're getting all the puff offensive opportunity in the world handed to them.

Canucks will have a tough time making sure the fans are appeased while we go through this transition, but I'm under no illusions here.  And I fully expect the team to remain mediocre enough in the standings regardless, justifying whatever approach is taken.

All that I care about is that what's done by the Canucks now leads to the Canucks winning the cup later.  I don't care about rookies on other teams.  I don't care about who gets what icetime during another meaningless season.  I don't care if the fans get upset during a transition phase.  Just come up with a plan to win the bloody cup, and then do it.  Because we are overdue.

I think what the issue is for most of CDC is that when the vets aren't doing much they are still rewarded with ice time, yet when the younger ones create chances, energy, draw pentalties, or hits they seem to get benched in favour of the vets that appear to be lacking those attributes. That's at least how I interpret it.

Or it's just people on CDC pushing for young rookies to step up into big roles when they are not ready. We need to have patience when developing these guys - that means sending them back to junior or playing them limited minutes in the NHL. 

That's just it isn't it? It's always black and white. Either the kids don't play at all or people want them playing 1st line top PP top PK. Debating here is such a pain because people always choose one extreme or the other. We aren't asking them to play 20 minutes, we just like to see them, I don't know play more than a shift in the third...

I think the biggest difference between this year and last year is the veterans. Last year Horvat had this exact same treatment, but it wasn't as noticeable because the veterans were playing remarkably well. This year, it's the same treatment with Jared, Jake, and Sven, but it's more noticable because A. There's three of them. B. The vets have not performed that well, so the kid's limited minutes are far more noticable. Especially Jared's, he's out performed half the team including Horvat in his limited role. He's made rookie mistakes yeah, but he's really been up to the task. Compare that with Vrbata or the Twins, who have under performed, especially in key situations. I think that's why people are mad right now. When Horvat was sheltered, we were still a good team. This year, the vets haven't been up to par.

Not true, Horvat played with Dorsett and Kenins and they had a regular shift, if you remember WD was getting mad props because he ran 4 lines during the entire game. Horvat was getting between 12-14 minutes every game and the players that picked up extra time did so on special teams. 

This year WD has changed his philosophy and is limiting the rookies play, probably because he has so many in the forward position. However, this year he is playing his vets way to much and to no avail, they're 2 games below .500 and soon to be 3. So the question is, should he manage his lineup the way he is and be a team that ends up .375-.425 or develop the "Young Guns" and sit around the same winning percentage. The later option also lets you deal guys like Hansen, Higgins and maybe Vrbata and get some picks in return. Also, here's another issue, you get 9 games with Virt's and McCann why would play a kid 5 minutes in one of those crucial 9, those kids should be in for at least 15 minutes to truley assess what they can do in all situations. 

There is no magic to this kids, what is the mandate of the owners? they want to win now or so we hear. But the Canucks are a "Cap-Strapped" team who at best can make the playoffs but will get bounced 1st round because of the style they play. So they need to do two things; reduce their cap and change the style they play(infuse speed, physicality and up their skill level on lines 2 and 3). This can be done only one way for this team-YOUTH, and in Baertschi, McCann and Virtanen, they meet all aspects of what this team needs, all for 2.75 million, a quarter mil. less then Hansen. Hutton has been nothing short of remarkable for this team and Bartkowski has up'd our speed/transitions for 2.6 mil., 500k less then Sbisa. The Canucks are on the right track but the kids need to play not sit in order to develop. If they get these kids quickly intergrated they can move assets to bring other guys like maybe J.Faulk from Carolina or a JVR from TO. These types of players fit the age profile and skill profile that the Canucks could be in the market for. 

Apparently CDC smokes too much.

giphy.gif

I will say this regarding not overplaying young talent.  It may be prudent to protect Hutton's minutes, but not at the expense of Edler.  Edler will also have no gas in the tank if he plays 29 minutes a night.

As for Virtanen.  If you dress him, play him.  You only have 9 games to decide if he stays.  If he stays past 9 games by all means protect his minutes.  IMO that wasted one of the games to see if he is going to stick this season.

Archived