The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Remember: Jake is still very young

*Buzzsaw*

I love his physical game, but I want him to become more than just a Cal Clutterbuck.

It would be nice to see him drive the offense a bit more and use his speed to power to the net.

He's most likely still adjusting and possibly playing it safe right now (in hopes of making the team). As the year goes on, we'll see a slow but steady improvement in his offensive production. I feel like 20-30 points is where he'll end up this year.

Watch @ 2:14, that acceleration is why we drafted him.

We'll see a steady improvement this year and just watch, he'll break out a lot like Horvat did last year.

He's most likely still adjusting and possibly playing it safe right now (in hopes of making the team). 

We'll see a steady improvement this year and just watch, he'll break out a lot like Horvat did last year.

Oh I agree. Right now he seems to still be learning positioning. I don't think his coach in Calgary was too good at teaching solid structure and positioning. I think that's why we're seeing McCann excel quicker. He had that solid coaching on the Greyhounds.

My point was it would easy for him to settle into an energy role where he just hits all shift long. He has more skill than that, and I hope he starts being able to show it.

Just wanted to say, for any of those who felt disappointed the kid hasn't had a goal yet... or who feel his progress isn't as fast as McCann...

Jake Virtanen's birthday is August 17... only one month before the September 15th deadline for 18 year old qualifying for the draft.  That is about as young as you can take a draft.

The kid is still very wet behind the ears.

Yet we are seeing him already as a real physical force... and you can't teach his instincts to play that way... Kassian never showed this kind of hitting ability, very few players have the knack, the timing, and the speed to be right on top of the opposing defensemen the way Jake has been.

And his hits are HEAVY... he has the instinct to plant his legs, and direct his energy just perfectly.

He just PUNISHED the opposing defense all tonight... And I love his meanness...  Eller took a run at him, and he came right back and NAILED him. 

I think the words gonna get around the league fast... Don't mess with big Jake.

I think McCann is great, and I don't want to take anything away from him, but Virtanen is going to be a freakin' MONSTER.

You look at his size right now, at just barely 19, and you gotta think he is going to be at 215 for playing weight in a couple years.  I think he has a lot of room to develop his upper body strength.  And when he does that, he will be real chore for opposing defensemen to handle.

I am so happy Vancouver has a player of this kind of dimension... he brings something to the table in the way of skill and physical presence which the Canucks have lacked for a long time.

Lucic with brains and Stamkos light.

...and Howe.

I don't think that anything that you say is debatable, the problem is do you want to pidgeonhole Jake into this sort of player or do you let him explore his full potential and allow him to become the offensive player that he can become? Sending a player back to junior has NEVER hurt a single player ever, in fact it's helped more players achieve their potential that it should be a no brainer for us to send players back. Unfortunately people in Canucksland seem to want instant gratification even at the expense of our best prospects.

I agree that it wouldn't impede his progress. But at the same time I'd rather have Jake playing with and be mentored by the Sedins rather than playing with a bunch of kids in Calgary. Now I know I say it like it's not a positive thing but it's a fact; play with the best players in the world, or play with teenagers.

I don't think a single person has been disappointed with Jakes game away from the puck , given his icetime, but he's not ready and has a lot to learn in terms of being an offensive force. For the first time in years , Jake has a good situation to return to on the Hitmen as they will finally be forced to utilize him fully in an offensive role and he has a good playmaker to play with.

In terms of forechecking  Jake has been everything this team has needed and more, our own Michael Ferland basically. But at 6th overall, don't we want more from him? He has shown he has the capability of being an elite goal scorer at the junior level with his fantastic wrist shot. So don't we want to develop more of that side to his game than the fast hard hitting side that you can get in most rounds in the draft? He's the highest pick that this team has selected since the Sedin's and his development should be handled with utmost care. Just because he's not ready at 19 doesn't diminish his ranking or his ability as a prospect. The Canucks and in turn , Jake Virtanen, are far better off letting him marinate in junior. Kassian was rushed and we tried to force him into a player he clearly wasn't when he was obviously not ready. Don't make the same mistake with Jake..

Virtanen is far better than Kassian in any aspect. Jake is stronger on the boards, skates faster, has a far more accurate and harder shot, more accurately timed body checks, significantly better skater in terms of speed and balance. These two are not comparable.

Jake is already better than Kassian and this is his first season at 19. His offensive and defensive awareness is much greater than Kassian's. We had to carry Kassian most of the time and he would only show up once in a while. Jake shows up and plays hard every night. He can handle the NHL. No worries there.

I certainly agree that Virtanen is ahead Kassian. His biggest advantage over Kassian is his attitude. As canucksnhl points out, Virtanen plays hard every night whereas Kassian was very inconsistent.

That said, however, I agree with Robongo. Virtanen is playing pretty well, but he is not creating many scoring opportunities. I don't think he is playing well enough to justify burning up a year of his entry level contract and bringing him a year closer to ultimate free agency. Why take a marginal year now and give up a year down the road when he will be at his peak performance level.

I certainly agree that Virtanen is ahead Kassian. His biggest advantage over Kassian is his attitude. As canucksnhl points out, Virtanen plays hard every night whereas Kassian was very inconsistent.

That said, however, I agree with Robongo. Virtanen is playing pretty well, but he is not creating many scoring opportunities. I don't think he is playing well enough to justify burning up a year of his entry level contract and bringing him a year closer to ultimate free agency. Why take a marginal year now and give up a year down the road when he will be at his peak performance level.

What I saw in Calgary led me to believe it better for Virtanen to stay in Vancouver. He has to play TOI of 10  minutes. Passing judgement is way to quick. He had some excellent shifts against Dallas.

These were my thoughts until last night but last night I saw a big improvement. I think he is beginning to settle down and play his own game now.

However I will not be moaning at whatever decision coaches and management make for him (or the others) This is a long game we are playing and it is important not to put ourselves or the rookies under unfair pressure.

He is improving for sure. He's getting more comfortable but I wonder if it might be too late. Baertschi hasn't impressed me as much as I thought he would, but the Canucks will have to allow him a longer look than Virtanen due to the waiver eligibility and the 2nd rounder they gave up for him. I thought Gaunce was impressive in last nights game and showed maturity to his game that I would be hoping Virtanen would develop under Travis Green if that opportunity arises. If Virtanen is sent back to Juniors then I am guessing Gaunce will get his spot.

The way I see it right now, even though Virtanens play has marginally improved over the past 2-3 games the role he would offer the team this year could be filled by someone else. Keeping McCann gives Willie more flexibility with his lines in terms of where Sutter plays. If Sutter is needed on the Sedin line then McCann can easily slot into the third line center role. Hutton has made this team, in my mind the kid has top pairing potential. He will become an outstanding defensemen, which is really exciting!

If any of them will be sent down/back to juniors I think it will be Virtanen. I think it was Willies post game interview after the detroit or montreal game and he spoke of both McCann and Virtanen and the way he worded his answers it felt like Virtanen has the highest risk of being sent down.

I'm just hoping the right decision for Jake and the Canucks is made, like I said in my last post, he is probably the most important prospect moving forward other than Horvat. I just hope they do what is right.

Kassian couldn't pull off that hit on Nichushkin in a million years.  Too slow.  That's why he turned into a playmaking winger.

I think people are missing something on the ELC issue.  Namely, the 2nd contract.  Let's say Virtanen has a Dustin Brown-type progression instead of Alex Ovechkin. In that case, his 2nd contract will be low, ala Dustin Brown's, and his cap hit will allow us to spend on other needs, such as it worked for LA.

However if Virtanen progressed like Ovechkin, then yes, you would need to account for his huge 2nd contract, and we'd have an instant 'win now' window on our hands.  Nice problem to have, but perhaps a bit unrealistic.

If things go as they should, free agency shouldn't even be a factor.  Teams generally never let these player types reach free agency until they're out of gas.

Tone it down a bit..you actually compared Jake to Howe..LOL.

No, I usually write:

...and Hutton.

And Hutton is impressing the heck out of me and everyone who watches Canucks hockey including other teams' broadcast.

So...

...and Howe.

Archived