The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Which retired Canucks live in Vancouver... Which current Canucks will do so?

person314

Sedins will probably live here but spend summers in Sweden as they already do. Virtanen will probably stay because this is his home town. Hamhuis will probably stay in BC but might move up north. I could see Horvat staying as well if he turns out the way we expect him to. Sbisa likely to stay here as well I think. 

The first question is a factual inquiry, the second is looking for what people think.  For retired Canucks, I only know for sure about Linden, McLean, Ronning, Smyl, and Geoff Courtnall (who is currently dating Sarah McLaughlin!?!?).  Who else still calls this place home?

For current Canucks, who do people think will stick around (or return, if traded) after they hang em up?  Obviously, this is purely speculative, with a range of certainties from the wildly speculative (eg. McCann... a few years ago we might have been saying Hodgeson was a likely 'yes') to the relatively knowable (Sedins).  Does Burrows stay?  Does Hammer return after being traded (and does Juice come back?)?  Does Horvat follow Linden as adopted son and future mayor?

Honestly curious why this is of interest to you?

The Sedins are definitely staying here. I suspect Hamhuis will retire in Smithers, he seems to be fond of that place and it's not terribly far from Vancouver. I'd wager on Burrows moving back to Montreal. 

As for the younger players, it's too hard to tell right now.

Honestly curious why this is of interest to you?

No particular reason... I saw the video on the CDC homepage about Burrows and "My hometown", and I had recently seen the story on him getting older but still contributing in different ways, and something about his absolute dedication to this team, and I was wondering whether he would stay here or go back to Quebec, because on the one hand, yah, he's been SO devoted to the Canucks (die-hard play, salary cuts to stay here, etc), but on the other hand, he's just so Quebecois in a way, and you know how they can be.

And I guess that just got me curious about how common it is for guys to stay.  Like, whether it was something that just a few guys who really either a) fell in love with the city b) are originally from here, or c) are adopted favourite sons a la Linden, OR, is it pretty typical for guys to stick around.

No particular reason... I saw the video on the CDC homepage about Burrows and "My hometown", and I had recently seen the story on him getting older but still contributing in different ways, and something about his absolute dedication to this team, and I was wondering whether he would stay here or go back to Quebec, because on the one hand, yah, he's been SO devoted to the Canucks (die-hard play, salary cuts to stay here, etc), but on the other hand, he's just so Quebecois in a way, and you know how they can be.

And I guess that just got me curious about how common it is for guys to stay.  Like, whether it was something that just a few guys who really either a) fell in love with the city b) are originally from here, or c) are adopted favourite sons a la Linden, OR, is it pretty typical for guys to stick around.

Thanks!

Was just going to say Jyrki....I believe North Van if I remember correctly.  He is such a great guy, really involved in community events, etc.  Love him.

Yup he does saw him at Lions Gate Hospital  one time did not it was if because i was not born in that era. The only reason i knew it was him was  from his global bc interview a week after

Archived