The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Recall Biega and Gaunce

Blackberries

I do worry about that defence going up against the two best players in the world right now. Seguin and Benn are going to absolutely shred our bottom-4.

Edler - Tanev

Sbisa - Weber

Hutton - Biega

Bartkowski was brutal as was Sbisa in the last game with a few bad turnovers, and Hutton is showing the occasional sign of a rookie. This is when Edler really needs to step up and single-handedly shutdown the Star's top line or they'll run all over us. Need another big game from Miller.

I do worry about that defence going up against the two best players in the world right now. Seguin and Benn are going to absolutely shred our bottom-4.

Edler - Tanev

Sbisa - Weber

Hutton - Biega

Bartkowski was brutal as was Sbisa in the last game with a few bad turnovers, and Hutton is showing the occasional sign of a rookie. This is when Edler really needs to step up and single-handedly shutdown the Star's top line or they'll run all over us. Need another big game from Miller.

Last night on the post-game show on TSN 1040 one of the commentators said that Weber looked pretty good with Hutton. The other guy pointed out that everyone has looked good with Hutton. Yes, he has made a few mistakes, as has Tanev, Edler, and every other defenceman in the league. Overall, he has been amazingly good and has not been shredded by anyone. Admittedly he does not spend a lot of time up against the other team's top forwards but he does face them sometimes and has done very well.

Seguin and Benn are obviously very good players but I expect Hutton to hold his own when he goes up against them. I admit that I would have concerns about Sbisa or Weber or Biega against those guys, however. But it will be mostly Edler and Tanev.

I would have Gauncer in for Baers this game and have Baers in for Arizoners I think we're going to need more defense against the Stars

The best defence is attack, as the Habs found out.

I am not against Gaunce for Sven though because I just think Gaunce will be better for us at both ends.

hows jake not ready hes got nhl size body elite skating. he got 8 hits plus one, one assist in habs game finally getting proper minutes plus he had a few chances to score by blowing by hab dmen if not for price he would have scored.  are you a homer or just clueless about what your talking about 

McCann had a great game against the Habs. IMHO Virtanen did as well. His physical play set the tone for much of the game and he had a big part in the win. I question whether he has anything to be gained back in the DUB.

To replace Prust and Hamhuis??

(not sure whether Hamhuis was a healthy scratch last night)

Whatchutalkinbout Willis, it was a maintenance day. Sometimes it is good to give veterans a night off cuz you know, they get old n' tired n' stuff...especially 8 games into the regular season. :rolleyes:

Prust is no Adam Oates but two of his four assists were sneaky and perfect passes that set up McCann's goals so more credit needs to be given to him.

Yeah, he's made some nice passes this year, including some that didn't go in. I just don't think Gaunce is gonna be a significant downgrade offensively, and I think McCann's ability to find open ice + finish could make a lot of passes look good.

There is some speculation in the VanCityBuzz as follows:

Chris Higgins provided an update on his foot injury this morning:

“It feels like it’s good now,” he said. “I can’t play until the 30th, so shortly after that we’ll make the decision.”

Speaking only a few minutes later, Trevor Linden was asked about Higgins status: “He’s a bit away.”

Sounds to me like Linden’s trying to buy some time.

That “can’t play until the 30th” was also a little fishy, so I had our news team do a little research. Intrepid reporter Rob the Hockey Guy determined the October 30 game is the 11th game of the Canucks season, meaning Higgins was likely placed on LTIR without anyone knowing.

Interesting. Hadn't read that until now. Fits much more with what we've seen on the roster. The salary tracking websites had Vancouver over the cap and then assumed Bachman was on emergency recall. But like I've been saying for a while, the way he was added didn't fit within the rules set out in the CBA (for emergency recall). So something didn't pass the sniff test.

But Higgins specifically stating that he couldn't return until October 30th is pretty much him confirming he was placed on LTIR. The question I'd want to ask is when? Because if they filed paperwork early enough, then they wouldn't have needed to waive Corrado (because he'd have fit under Higgins' LTIR cap exception and within the roster limit). So did he Canucks waive him unnecessarily? Probably we'll never know, especially since they essentially "hid" the LTIR filing (until Higgins' revelation).

Anyway, I'll try to get back to being positive and just enjoy the fact that we're able to see Gaunce play tonight because of LTIR.

Whatchutalkinbout Willis, it was a maintenance day. Sometimes it is good to give veterans a night off cuz you know, they get old n' tired n' stuff...especially 8 games into the regular season. :rolleyes:

Hamhuis is out for more than "maintenance", he's out with a lower-body although apparently not really serious but obviously needs to be worked on

Interesting. Hadn't read that until now. Fits much more with what we've seen on the roster. The salary tracking websites had Vancouver over the cap and then assumed Bachman was on emergency recall. But like I've been saying for a while, the way he was added didn't fit within the rules set out in the CBA (for emergency recall). So something didn't pass the sniff test.

But Higgins specifically stating that he couldn't return until October 30th is pretty much him confirming he was placed on LTIR. The question I'd want to ask is when? Because if they filed paperwork early enough, then they wouldn't have needed to waive Corrado (because he'd have fit under Higgins' LTIR cap exception and within the roster limit). So did he Canucks waive him unnecessarily? Probably we'll never know, especially since they essentially "hid" the LTIR filing (until Higgins' revelation).

Anyway, I'll try to get back to being positive and just enjoy the fact that we're able to see Gaunce play tonight because of LTIR.

They put Higgins on IR on the 6th. Since they have to be on LTIR for 10 games and 24 days, the math works. They must have filed later and kept it quiet to avoid criticism about losing Corrado unnecessarily. Corrado's lack of play and his conditioning assignment makes criticism less likely from fans now.

Moving forward, I am glad Gaunch finally gets to play.

if he was on rockets  he could win   a memmorial cup  and play big minutes, i do like him up in bigs but i wont be sad if he plays another yr in dub playing 23 mins a game  with better coaches than hitmen 

If he was that good he would have made the big team

Archived