The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Idea for Re-alignment post Expansion (If it happens)

Frogger009

Just kicking around an idea for re-alignment here as most people say Quebec would be a problem with the current East/West set up, unless Detroit or Columbus moves back to the West.

Basically is this,

Each conference has 4 divisions, maybe as follows (just an idea, obviously could differ)

West

Div 1 - Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, San Jose

Div 2 - Los Angeles, Anaheim, Las Vegas, Arizona

Div 3 - Dallas, Colorado, Nashville, St.Louis

Div 4 - Winnipeg, Chicago, Minnesota, Columbus

East

Div 1 - Toronto, Detroit, Montreal, Boston

Div 2 - Ottawa, Quebec, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia

Div 3 - New York, New York, New Jersey, Buffalo

Div 4 - Washington, Carolina, Florida, Tampa Bay

So each division would be paired with a partner division from their conference which would rotate on a 3 year cycle (like the NFL)

Schedule - 6 games against Division = 18, 4 games against partner Division = 16, 2 games against everyone else = 48, Total = 82

Playoffs would be top 2 teams in each division play in round 1, Round 2 the winners play the winner of their partner division (so it changes every year), Round 3 the winners play the other remaining conference team, then the Stanley Cup Finals. 

Basically, this could foster great division rivalries, gives some different playoff scenarios as the partner division changes each year and would cut on travel because it is division heavy.

Cheers

Breaking up the Cali teams?

Ott sits in between Tor and Mtl yet you want to break them up?

Back to the drawing board
Or maybe colouring book

Like I said, an idea of divisions. If not SJ, who comes up north? Arizona and LV are both farther south. And in the east, do you split up Montreal/Boston? if you take Detroit out for Ottawa sure but that leaves Quebec as the lone Canadian team in that division. It's the concept I was talking about, not the exact Division organization. 

:lol:

Calm down
I don't see 4 team divisions working. Though I do like the math.  The travel thing is only an issue in the West. I don't think the NHL really cares about the West that much.
Geographically speaking Det would move back to the West but the NHL has already promised them the East. 
I fully expect an unbalanced alignment because of TV.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.  ::D 

:lol:

Calm down
I don't see 4 team divisions working. Though I do like the math.  The travel thing is only an issue in the West. I don't think the NHL really cares about the West that much.
Geographically speaking Det would move back to the West but the NHL has already promised them the East. 
I fully expect an unbalanced alignment because of TV.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.  ::D 

I apologize for the snapping, it's this place I tell you. I have never been on a forum before where every second post has some snarky remark, comment or "How is this even a thread" post, granted yours wasn't too bad but its cumulative really. Just want to discuss some hockey. 

I apologize for the snapping, it's this place I tell you. I have never been on a forum before where every second post has some snarky remark, comment or "How is this even a thread" post, granted yours wasn't too bad but its cumulative really. Just want to discuss some hockey. 

no worries  
I deserved it   lol
I just don't see those teams I noted being separated.  

It will be very interesting to see how the NHL resolves this if Que and LV are awarded the franchises.

West

East

I would say go back to 6 divisions.

Pacific- Anaheim, Arizona, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, San Jose, Vancouver

Midwest- Calgary, Colorado, Edmonton, Minnesota, Winnipeg

Central- Chicago, Columbus, Detroit, Pittsburgh, St. Louis

Atlantic- Boston, Buffalo, Montreal, Ottawa, Quebec, Toronto

Metropolitan- New Jersey, NYI, NYR, Philadelphia, Washington

Gulf- Carolina, Dallas, Florida, Nashville, Tampa Bay

I think we'd be more likely to be looking at this, under your model:

West

Div 1 - Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Seattle(expansion 2019)

Div 2 - Los Angeles, Anaheim,  San Jose, Las Vegas(expansion 2017)

Div 3 - Dallas, Nashville, St.Louis, Arizona (or possible relocation to KC)

Div 4 - Winnipeg, Chicago, Minnesota, Colorado

East

Div 1 - Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Quebec(relocation from Fla)

Div 2 - Boston, Columbus, Detroit,  Buffalo

Div 3 - New York, New York, New Jersey, Washington

Div 4 -  Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Carolina,Tampa Bay

no worries  I deserved it   lol
I just don't see those teams I noted being separated.  

It will be very interesting to see how the NHL resolves this if Que and LV are awarded the franchises.

Frogger009 and Shift-4...sounding like an old married couple.  Glad peace has been restored.

Like the way Frogger009's number work on the division re-alignment, though I think I would get tired of seeing the Flames, Oilers and Sharks 6 times a year.

West

Div 1 - Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Las Vegas

Div 2 - Los Angeles, Anaheim, San Jose, Arizona

East

Div 1 - Detroit, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Boston

Div 2 - Ottawa, Quebec, Montreal, Toronto

Just kicking around an idea for re-alignment here as most people say Quebec would be a problem with the current East/West set up, unless Detroit or Columbus moves back to the West.

Basically is this,

Each conference has 4 divisions, maybe as follows (just an idea, obviously could differ)

West

East

So each division would be paired with a partner division from their conference which would rotate on a 3 year cycle (like the NFL)

Schedule - 6 games against Division = 18, 4 games against partner Division = 16, 2 games against everyone else = 48, Total = 82

Playoffs would be top 2 teams in each division play in round 1, Round 2 the winners play the winner of their partner division (so it changes every year), Round 3 the winners play the other remaining conference team, then the Stanley Cup Finals. 

Basically, this could foster great division rivalries, gives some different playoff scenarios as the partner division changes each year and would cut on travel because it is division heavy.

Cheers

I like it, but a few tweaks.

West:

Division 1. Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg.

Division 2. Los Angeles, San Jose, Anaheim, Las Vegas

Division 3. Arizona, Dallas, Colorado, Minnesota

Division 4. Nashville, St. Louis, Chicago, Columbus

East:

Division 1. Quebec, Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto

Division 2. Detroit, Boston, Buffalo, New York Rangers

Division 3. Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, New York Islanders, New Jersey Devils

Division 4. Washington, Carolina, Tampa Bay, Florida.

I like it, but a few tweaks.

West:

Division 1. Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg.

Division 2. Los Angeles, San Jose, Anaheim, Las Vegas

Division 3. Arizona, Dallas, Colorado, Minnesota

Division 4. Nashville, St. Louis, Chicago, Columbus

East:

Division 1. Quebec, Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto

Division 2. Detroit, Boston, Buffalo, New York Rangers

Division 3. Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, New York Islanders, New Jersey Devils

Division 4. Washington, Carolina, Tampa Bay, Florida.

I'd prefer the quoted Vancouver div over yours. San Jose is closer to us than Winterpeg and within the same time zone. Actually, I prefer the quoted divs overall,  theyre closer together and better time zone wise. 

8 divisions is a bit ridiculous don't you think

Agreed.  I like it the way it is now, but it would be even better with two 16-team conferences.

Ultimately though, I have a feeling that the playoffs will get expanded to 20 teams once the league expands.  The potential added playoff revenue will be impossible for the league to ignore.  Add four more wildcard spots and have a mini-playoff round to get down to 16.  Sort of like baseball, but probably best of 3.  I have no evidence or source on this, just a prediction.

Agreed.  I like it the way it is now, but it would be even better with two 16-team conferences.

Ultimately though, I have a feeling that the playoffs will get expanded to 20 teams once the league expands.  The potential added playoff revenue will be impossible for the league to ignore.  Add four more wildcard spots and have a mini-playoff round to get down to 16.  Sort of like baseball, but probably best of 3.  I have no evidence or source on this, just a prediction.

I hope not. Right now just over 53% of teams make the playoffs, with 20 out of 32 it increases to almost 63%. It would cheapen the regular season. 

Archived