The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gaglardi closer to winning Cup than Aquilini

rizzuto&hatoum

People really make too much out of one game.

Had we won everyone would be talking about how well the rebuild is going and how close we are to being back on top.

I don't take anything from 3 on 3. I would say these teams played pretty evenly during 60 minutes of regulation.

Yup. Agreed... Some people don't understand 82 game seasons. 

Hopefully we bounce back with the win tomorrow night. 

At least we're grabbing those loser points. 

Check it out, according to many, the Canucks aren't even supposed to compete. Yet here they are, basically stealing points out of games. They currently have a tendency to collapse in the third but that is correctable. They're still taking a point in Dallas. Those single point TO losses are the difference between the teams that make the playoffs and the teams that don't.

It's only the second game with all the rookies in plus Gaunce, minus Prust and Hamhuis. In time, this team will dominate and I hope this is bumped so you can eat your words.

Said with the best interest of the franchise.

We aren't stealing points out of these games we are losing points out of them. Losing in OT to Dallas after having a 3-1 lead in the third is NOT "stealing" a point ffs. These single point games that should have been wins but werent cause of third period collapses good very well make the difference by spring. 

Maybe you can argue that Dallas has a better shot than us, for they're still pretty far from a cup.  That defense is pretty far from a contending one.    They are a poor man's Pittsburgh Penguins, lots of firepower on the top line, but not much depth and a worse defense than Pittsburgh.

They might make the playoffs often but they are bound to 1st and 2nd round playoff exits.  Unfortunately Seguin and Benn are in their prime but they don't have the supporting cast to win a cup now.  In 2-3 years, when they might finally get the right pieces, that duo won't be as dynamic.

The Stars looked very good last night.  Their goaltending is improved but not elite and their D is not as good as their forwards.  The addition of Sharp and Oduya helped a lot over last years team.  In short, they looked faster than the Canucks and their core is further along in their development than the Canucks.  Benn is 26, Seguin is 23.  I think it was a case of the Stars having good speed especially in the offensive zone that eventually paid off as the game wore on. I think we're just going to have to accept that some teams are ahead of the Canucks in their rebuild.

Are we seeing a pattern of fading in the 3rd against good, fast teams?

If you mean are they more likely to win a cup in the next few years than the Canucks, then the answer is "yes".

They have 2 of the top forwards in the league, like we have had for years - but theirs are just hitting their prime, while ours are slowly regressing.

Their D may not look like much now, but they have a lot of young guys who are developing nicely. Klingberg is only 24, and already one of the best offensive D-men in the league. They also have Jokipakka (24), Nemeth (23), Johns (23), Oleksiak (22), Lindell (21), Honka (20), Prapavessis (19)... Besides the revelation of Hutton, our collection of young D is light years away from that. It can't compare.

However, there are still big questions over the Stars' goaltending. We definitely have them beat there now, and in the future. If they manage to get better-than-average goaltending some time in the next few years, they have a real shot at contending. But if they don't, they won't.

So we started 5 rookies, a sophomore, have two highly rated goaltending prospects in our organization and you think Dallas has a brighter future. Why? Because they have a few forwards and almost nothing on the back end.... -

"Alec, I'l take "pffft whatever" for $500"

I don't think Aqua cares. He bought the Canucks for all the property that was attached to the sale so he could build high risers on that land. He's made 10's of millions from real estate attached to purchasing the team while Gaglardi will lose 10's of millions on losses from Dallas Stars hockey team.

Dallas is off to a great start, but that doesn't mean that they are headed for future greatness quicker than the Canucks. I really can't see any team but Blackhawks winning a Cup with Niemi in the net. If Dallas can somehow scoop a top notch goaltender they might have something. Until then they'll be lucky to win a round or two in the playoffs.

The Canucks have Demko in the pipeline. does Dallas have anyone to get excited about?

LOL at the threads popping up around here lately...This one takes the cake.

The Canucks have made it to game 7 since the Aqs have taken over....How far has Dallas gone lately?

After watching the game the other night, there is no way that Dallas has the Defense to win a 7 game series past the second round.

Why do people on CDC feel the need to constantly bash management, coaches and pick one or two scapegoats from the players that die on the ice for us night after night... Strange crowd in Van.

LOL at the threads popping up around here lately...This one takes the cake.

The Canucks have made it to game 7 since the Aqs have taken over....How far has Dallas gone lately?

After watching the game the other night, there is no way that Dallas has the Defense to win a 7 game series past the second round.

Why do people on CDC feel the need to constantly bash management, coaches and pick one or two scapegoats from the players that die on the ice for us night after night... Strange crowd in Van.

yes.  Dallas plays a one way game.  Our fans just want a cup.

Archived