The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Do Benning and Linden have what it takes to move the Sedins on time?

Ilya Mikheyev

But at one point Bieksa was a great top four defender. At one point Bertuzzi was a power forward without comparison.

The Sedins are first line players for this season, but in all honesty, that is pushing it. They are too old and have too many miles on them to carry this team beyond this season. Anyone who believes the contrary is wallowing in willful ignorance.

thanks for analyzing me...i never knew i was wallowing in willful ignorance...i knew i was stupid and dumb, but not ignorant...

I don't know if people noticed of not but the Canucks are not exactly the model franchise when it comes to treating loyal players right in the late stages of their career. Linden was basically forced into retirement. Naslund was basically sent walking papers which basically killed his passion for the game (see Naslund in a Rangers uniform), Ohlund and Salo was discarded like trash. So for once, I honestly hope the Canucks can just do the right thing by the Sedins. Especially after all these tow have done on and off the ice as a Canuck. There is the business side of things true but business side of things do not mean it is the right thing.

Why don't we get back to the subject of trading the Sedins...

So the Canucks won tonight. The Sedins were again the top line, though McCann kind of makes the 4th look like the second line.

So the Canucks seem to have a 2C in McCann any time the organization deems him ready. Henrik however, is in a league of his own.

In the supposition that the Canucks don't make the playoffs in 2018, that the Sedins, at the end of their contract, have agreed to be traded and the monitory worth in cap is not an issue; solely as trade value:

What are the Sedins worth?

Would they be worth more traded individually?

What would Henrik be worth to a playoff team?

What would Daniel be worth to a playoff team?

Not up to us. The Sedins have gone to the moon and back for this team. The only way they are moving is if they ask. 

Don't kid yourself...they have been PAID well for everything they have done  And they have been good. The Canuck organization owes them nothing. They struggled to become what they are, and were given every opportunity to succeed by the organization and the city. They have not taken any home town discounts to this point.

Don't kid yourself...they have been PAID well for everything they have done  And they have been good. The Canuck organization owes them nothing. They struggled to become what they are, and were given every opportunity to succeed by the organization and the city. They have not taken any home town discounts to this point.

Need to get your facts straight. Sedins have given Vancouver a discount before.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/210246-staying-put-sedin-twins-re-sign-for-5-years-in-vancouver

After months of speculation the Sedins finally chose to stay with the Canucks as they each inked a 5 year deal worth 6.1 million dollars Wednesday.  Negotiations had been halted in early March when Henrik and Daniel were looking for long term 12 year contracts to keep them in Vancouver for a long time.  However GM Mike Gillis flew to Sweden recently and placed the final offer on the table that helped keep the Sedins in Vancouver.

The Sedin's chose to take less money as reportedly they could have received at least a half a million more had they stayed on the open market.  Their choice to take a hometown discount is good news for the Canucks as that leaves the door open for them to try and sign a top six forward or a puck moving defensemen, two area's the Canucks need to address. 

"Daniel and Henrik Sedin are this club's offensive leaders and players we want to build around," said general manager Mike Gillis in a statement. "Their level of performance in every area of the game is exceptional; both Daniel and Henrik are committed to winning and we want them to succeed as Vancouver Canucks."

"We spent the last 24 hours with Daniel and Henrik going over all the options that they have," their agent JP Barry told Vancouver's CKNW on Wednesday. "The more they analyzed things, the more they truly wanted to remain in Vancouver. They're happy that this deal got to the range that it was fair."

Henrik and Daniel both had stellar seasons last year finishing fittingly with 82 points each to lead the team.  The Sedins have been with the Canucks since they were drafted second and third overall in 1999.

Another article for those who don't believe the twins have given Vancouver discounts.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Canucks+Vancouver+lucky+have+Sedins+hometown+discount/9114506/story.html

Canucks, Vancouver lucky to have Sedins, hometown discount or not

Securing services of splendid Swedes until 2018 key for franchise’s future

BY CAM COLE, VANCOUVER SUN COLUMNIST NOVEMBER 2, 2013

Read more:http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Canucks+Vancouver+lucky+have+Sedins+hometown+discount/9114506/story.html#ixzz3q7WWDdVj

VANCOUVER — It’s probably not a stretch to surmise that one of the things the Vancouver Canucks were eager to learn, when GM Mike Gillis interviewed candidates for the head coaching job over the summer, was what outsiders thought of the team.

No one knows exactly what opinion the successful applicant gave, though we can guess.

But Gillis said Friday that it was John Tortorella’s impassioned confirmation of what the Canucks already believed about Henrik and Daniel Sedin that convinced the club it had to lock up the twins for the foreseeable future.

By signing them to palatable, four-year, $28-million contract extensions that kick in next season (they’ll be 37, going on 38 when the deals expire after the 2017-18 season), Gillis has all but guaranteed that they will finish their careers with the same team that drafted them.

And once again, as they did in their current contracts, the Sedins — who won back-to-back Art Ross Trophies in 2009-10 and ’10-11 (and Henrik the Hart, as well, in the first of those years) — signed for about $3 million per season under the average of the top 10 salaries in the NHL.

Hometown discount? What else would you call it?

“People who know us know that money is a small part of the whole negotiation,” said Henrik. “We’ve always loved it here, our families love it here, and that’s a major thing. To be part of a great team for the next couple of years, that was the most important thing to us.

“If you go UFA (unrestricted free agent), you’re maybe going to get better money somewhere else, but that was never part of the discussion.”

Could the Canucks have done it on some other day, when Pavel Bure wasn’t upstairs at Rogers Arena waxing poetic on the glory of having his number retired here Saturday afternoon, prior to the game against the Toronto Maple Leafs?

Possibly.

But as much as the Bure ceremony is about tying up a loose end from the past, securing the services of the splendid Swedes closes what might have been a gaping hole in the club’s future.

Every quality the Canucks have or hope to have is embodied by the red-headed doppelgangers from Ornskoldsvik, who might actually be those “better people than they are players” you always hear about.

And they’re damned good players.

Tortorella hadn’t been on the job very long before he knew it in his heart.

“Just in the short time I’ve been with them, before they even step on the ice, how they handle themselves ... and with some of the kids we’re hoping come through, to have them here showing the way as far as the process of being a pro, we couldn’t be happier,” said Tortorella, who took the opportunity to get something off his chest about the external perception of the twins.

“You know what bothers me the most about the reputation of these two guys — and I’m not sure who started it, but our league is so neanderthal in their thinking that it sticks — is when they call the Sedins soft,” he said.

“In our league, I think we act like idiots sometimes ... I’ve been dying to talk about that. These aren’t soft people, soft players. I’ve had the honour, in the short time I’ve been with them, to be up close and see how hard they work, and see what they do on the ice. It pisses me off, the reputation that’s still out there, and it’s so undeserved and so disrespectful.

“They play underneath the hash mark, in the tough areas. I just think there’s people pop off who don’t have a clue what they’re saying and then it sticks. You watch how hard they play on the boards, how they protect pucks, you kind of get lost with their skill and you think that’s what they’re about — it is so wrong, because they do so many little things.”

Gillis said the club has been working on the deal for four months, and that the negotiation with agent J.P. Barry “was probably as smooth as it could possibly have been with two players of this kind of profile.

“These two guys are the pillars of our hockey team, incredible people in the community, they give back all the time and set an example for all of us.”

If there was a hurdle, it was trying to figure out what the salary cap would be in years to come and how to leave room, after the Sedins got paid, to surround them with good teammates.

“We want to win, that’s the bottom line,” said Daniel, who entered the weekend 10th in league scoring, three points behind his brother, who was fourth. “You realize as you get older, your chances are getting slimmer and slimmer, so we want to have a good team around us, and I think we do.”

Replacing the twins through free agency, Gillis admitted, “would have been impossible. You’re talking about two players, not one. To try to find two players in free agency that understand what it means to play here in Vancouver and who would work with us to try to maintain a really competitive (supporting cast), it would be impossible.”

There were plenty of smiles in the Canucks’ room.

“People see them on the ice, the give-and-gos, those plays, the skill set they’ve got. But they’re such great persons outside the ice, they work so hard, they’re so likeable. Everybody’s really happy,” said Alex Burrows, who knows as well as anyone how much the Sedins are worth as linemates.

“And one thing great about it is I’ll never be the oldest guy on the team.”

“There’s so many intangibles with the twins,” said defenceman Kevin Bieksa. “Sure, they contribute every game offensively and they’re leaders, but just their calm demeanour, I think, is contagious. It has been for me, and I think also for Burr and ... well, Alex Edler is already pretty calm, borderline sleeping, but guys like Kes (Ryan Kesler). It calms us down, just to see how even-keeled they are throughout a game, and throughout a season.

“It’s changed my approach to the game.”

Until then-GM Brian Burke made the deal that allowed the Canucks to get both brothers in the 1999 entry draft, “we expected to be on different teams,” Henrik said Friday.

“It has always meant a lot to us,” he said, to play together.

“Now we’re sitting here, 13-14 years later, and we’re still on the same team. That’s unheard of, but it says a lot about the organization, too. They’ve done a lot for us, throughout the years. There’s been a lot of times when they could have gone in a different direction, and they didn’t. We’re very fortunate to be here today.”

Vancouver — the city, never mind the team — is lucky to have them.

Another article for those who don't believe the twins have given Vancouver discounts.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Canucks+Vancouver+lucky+have+Sedins+hometown+discount/9114506/story.html

Canucks, Vancouver lucky to have Sedins, hometown discount or not

Securing services of splendid Swedes until 2018 key for franchise’s future

BY CAM COLE, VANCOUVER SUN COLUMNIST NOVEMBER 2, 2013

Read more:http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Canucks+Vancouver+lucky+have+Sedins+hometown+discount/9114506/story.html#ixzz3q7WWDdVj

VANCOUVER — It’s probably not a stretch to surmise that one of the things the Vancouver Canucks were eager to learn, when GM Mike Gillis interviewed candidates for the head coaching job over the summer, was what outsiders thought of the team.

No one knows exactly what opinion the successful applicant gave, though we can guess.

But Gillis said Friday that it was John Tortorella’s impassioned confirmation of what the Canucks already believed about Henrik and Daniel Sedin that convinced the club it had to lock up the twins for the foreseeable future.

By signing them to palatable, four-year, $28-million contract extensions that kick in next season (they’ll be 37, going on 38 when the deals expire after the 2017-18 season), Gillis has all but guaranteed that they will finish their careers with the same team that drafted them.

And once again, as they did in their current contracts, the Sedins — who won back-to-back Art Ross Trophies in 2009-10 and ’10-11 (and Henrik the Hart, as well, in the first of those years) — signed for about $3 million per season under the average of the top 10 salaries in the NHL.

Hometown discount? What else would you call it?

“People who know us know that money is a small part of the whole negotiation,” said Henrik. “We’ve always loved it here, our families love it here, and that’s a major thing. To be part of a great team for the next couple of years, that was the most important thing to us.

“If you go UFA (unrestricted free agent), you’re maybe going to get better money somewhere else, but that was never part of the discussion.”

Could the Canucks have done it on some other day, when Pavel Bure wasn’t upstairs at Rogers Arena waxing poetic on the glory of having his number retired here Saturday afternoon, prior to the game against the Toronto Maple Leafs?

Possibly.

But as much as the Bure ceremony is about tying up a loose end from the past, securing the services of the splendid Swedes closes what might have been a gaping hole in the club’s future.

Every quality the Canucks have or hope to have is embodied by the red-headed doppelgangers from Ornskoldsvik, who might actually be those “better people than they are players” you always hear about.

And they’re damned good players.

Tortorella hadn’t been on the job very long before he knew it in his heart.

“Just in the short time I’ve been with them, before they even step on the ice, how they handle themselves ... and with some of the kids we’re hoping come through, to have them here showing the way as far as the process of being a pro, we couldn’t be happier,” said Tortorella, who took the opportunity to get something off his chest about the external perception of the twins.

“You know what bothers me the most about the reputation of these two guys — and I’m not sure who started it, but our league is so neanderthal in their thinking that it sticks — is when they call the Sedins soft,” he said.

“In our league, I think we act like idiots sometimes ... I’ve been dying to talk about that. These aren’t soft people, soft players. I’ve had the honour, in the short time I’ve been with them, to be up close and see how hard they work, and see what they do on the ice. It pisses me off, the reputation that’s still out there, and it’s so undeserved and so disrespectful.

“They play underneath the hash mark, in the tough areas. I just think there’s people pop off who don’t have a clue what they’re saying and then it sticks. You watch how hard they play on the boards, how they protect pucks, you kind of get lost with their skill and you think that’s what they’re about — it is so wrong, because they do so many little things.”

Gillis said the club has been working on the deal for four months, and that the negotiation with agent J.P. Barry “was probably as smooth as it could possibly have been with two players of this kind of profile.

“These two guys are the pillars of our hockey team, incredible people in the community, they give back all the time and set an example for all of us.”

If there was a hurdle, it was trying to figure out what the salary cap would be in years to come and how to leave room, after the Sedins got paid, to surround them with good teammates.

“We want to win, that’s the bottom line,” said Daniel, who entered the weekend 10th in league scoring, three points behind his brother, who was fourth. “You realize as you get older, your chances are getting slimmer and slimmer, so we want to have a good team around us, and I think we do.”

Replacing the twins through free agency, Gillis admitted, “would have been impossible. You’re talking about two players, not one. To try to find two players in free agency that understand what it means to play here in Vancouver and who would work with us to try to maintain a really competitive (supporting cast), it would be impossible.”

There were plenty of smiles in the Canucks’ room.

“People see them on the ice, the give-and-gos, those plays, the skill set they’ve got. But they’re such great persons outside the ice, they work so hard, they’re so likeable. Everybody’s really happy,” said Alex Burrows, who knows as well as anyone how much the Sedins are worth as linemates.

“And one thing great about it is I’ll never be the oldest guy on the team.”

“There’s so many intangibles with the twins,” said defenceman Kevin Bieksa. “Sure, they contribute every game offensively and they’re leaders, but just their calm demeanour, I think, is contagious. It has been for me, and I think also for Burr and ... well, Alex Edler is already pretty calm, borderline sleeping, but guys like Kes (Ryan Kesler). It calms us down, just to see how even-keeled they are throughout a game, and throughout a season.

“It’s changed my approach to the game.”

Until then-GM Brian Burke made the deal that allowed the Canucks to get both brothers in the 1999 entry draft, “we expected to be on different teams,” Henrik said Friday.

“It has always meant a lot to us,” he said, to play together.

“Now we’re sitting here, 13-14 years later, and we’re still on the same team. That’s unheard of, but it says a lot about the organization, too. They’ve done a lot for us, throughout the years. There’s been a lot of times when they could have gone in a different direction, and they didn’t. We’re very fortunate to be here today.”

Vancouver — the city, never mind the team — is lucky to have them.

of course we're glad to have them!  I have trees in my yard planted in their honor.  What's your point?

Need to get your facts straight. Sedins have given Vancouver a discount before.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/210246-staying-put-sedin-twins-re-sign-for-5-years-in-vancouver

After months of speculation the Sedins finally chose to stay with the Canucks as they each inked a 5 year deal worth 6.1 million dollars Wednesday.  Negotiations had been halted in early March when Henrik and Daniel were looking for long term 12 year contracts to keep them in Vancouver for a long time.  However GM Mike Gillis flew to Sweden recently and placed the final offer on the table that helped keep the Sedins in Vancouver.

The Sedin's chose to take less money as reportedly they could have received at least a half a million more had they stayed on the open market.  Their choice to take a hometown discount is good news for the Canucks as that leaves the door open for them to try and sign a top six forward or a puck moving defensemen, two area's the Canucks need to address. 

"Daniel and Henrik Sedin are this club's offensive leaders and players we want to build around," said general manager Mike Gillis in a statement. "Their level of performance in every area of the game is exceptional; both Daniel and Henrik are committed to winning and we want them to succeed as Vancouver Canucks."

"We spent the last 24 hours with Daniel and Henrik going over all the options that they have," their agent JP Barry told Vancouver's CKNW on Wednesday. "The more they analyzed things, the more they truly wanted to remain in Vancouver. They're happy that this deal got to the range that it was fair."

Henrik and Daniel both had stellar seasons last year finishing fittingly with 82 points each to lead the team.  The Sedins have been with the Canucks since they were drafted second and third overall in 1999.

Well, what is written above may be true, and if so it means there is one team in the NHL that was willing to ...grossly may be too strong...overpay them. So if they did give the Canucks a half million discount....good for them!  But there are likely 28 teams that would agree that the Canucks were generous. The sooner we have 14 million to spend on someone else the better.  I think they are great guys and also have given some unexpected stability.  So far their resigning has not been as painful as I expected, thank god. 

Sedin's game is skill and possession and neither has ever been the fast skater or possess the heavy shot, so they will still impact the game. It's whether their body will stand up to all those hits in the corners they take as they age. But I would like our franchise players to be able to retire as a Canuck. As they get older, if they moved to the second line and continued to mentor the youth would be good.

I think we have a good young group and even though the Sedins don't win the cup in Vancouver, I still believe the Canucks benefit most by not trading them. Players like Horvat, McCann, Baertchi, Gaunce would all benefit more developmental wise when they have good players to look up to and that fact can't get underestimated. The Oilers had so many low draft picks year after year and without the proper tutelage, they still consistently sunk down to the bottom of the standings.  Sidney Crosby had Lemieux, Naslund had Messier, Sedins had Naslund and Sundin, Lidstrome had Yzerman, Zetterberg and Datsyke(sp?) had Lidstrome. Vancouver needs the Sedins.

Yeah, if the Sedins were moved, the only choices would be the off season at the draft to a contender with alot of money coming off the books or the last year of their contracts at the deadline. $14 mil. No one has $14 mil in space lying around and are serious contenders. And even if they were, we would still have to take salary back and more than likely it would be a contract or two which they don't want to move because it would be an integral piece to a potential cup run.

That all being said, the thing about the Sedins NMC is they can be traded. The clause says they can only be traded together. Not separately. Maybe a 3 team trade of some sort? Yeah, I don't know. Too complicated. I think they deserve a cup though. They have worked their butts off for this team, year in and year out!!!!

nice job cherry picking what I said and taking it completely out of context lol

"Did Detroit trade away Lidstrom and Yzerman? Did Colorado trade away Sakic? Sedin's are at that level for our organization."

I'm not cherry-picking. Yzerman and Sakic are way more to Detroit and Colorado than the Sedins are to Vancouver. They're a different calibre of player. Plus, the state of Detroit when Yzerman retired was completely different. Dats was already 27 and they went to the 3rd round the year after Yzerman, then a cup. 

You suck. Your retard. Your stupid.

Good point. 

Archived