The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NBA Discussion

BoKnows

1 minute ago, Sikhguy23 said:

Leave me alone dude, I'm preparing for my move to Connecticut for residency lol :gocan:.

Why would I do that?

The MJ-LeChina debate is over, the fat lady hath sungeth. The Last Dance series is proving we have forgotten more iconic moments from MJ than we have had in the totality of LeChina's career. The only people claiming LeChina is better are people who people who are under 30, and never saw Jordan play. Anyone born 90s onwards shouldn't even have an opinion on this topic. It would disqualify my opinion as well but I am good with that because I know far too many LeChina fanboys my age. As Shaq said recently MJ is the only '10', there is no '9', rest are 7's and 8's. LeChina was never in the discussion, it was never even a conversation until LeChina and his fanboys in the media began pushing the topic. 

Good luck with your residency. 

Yeah, this Lebron v Jordan thing is, in my opinion, not even a debate. For those that ever watched the two (or in experts case, played against the two), know that Jordan was superior in virtually every way.

A few years ago, I think it was Barkley who said, after the Cavaliers lost in 4 straight to the Warriors, that if there was ever a debate, it ended there. Jordan was never a "no show" in a Finals. Not at any point in his career. Take away how liked or not liked they were by teammates, or who did more off the court, Jordan was on a whole other level. He transcended the game. He brought it to a level no other player had done before or since.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I'd put Iverson and Duncan ahead of Lebron.

19 minutes ago, Monty said:

I'm probably in the minority here, but I'd put Iverson and Duncan ahead of Lebron.

Bigs have a disadvantage cause they can't create much and most can't defend the perimeter. Their impact isn't the same as wings. 

And LOL on Iverson. Great player but he was tiny and had many limitations. Couldn't defend to save his life. 

1 hour ago, Van40 said:

Bigs have a disadvantage cause they can't create much and most can't defend the perimeter. Their impact isn't the same as wings. 

And LOL on Iverson. Great player but he was tiny and had many limitations. Couldn't defend to save his life. 

All fair. Think my opinion has more to do with player preference, especially on Iverson. Had the pleasure of seeing the 76ers play the Clippers back in 1997 in Los Angeles. Man, Iverson absolutely owned the court. Was unreal to see him play.

Edited by Monty
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Monty said:

All fair. Think my opinion has more to due with player preference, especially on Iverson. Had the pleasure of seeing the 76ers play the Clippers back in 1997 in Los Angeles. Man, Iverson absolutely owned the court. Was unreal to see him play.

He was pure entertainment when he got caught on fire. Each basket felt like a circus shot cause he was so tiny. Barely 6 feet and he was scoring over near 7 footers with ease. So fun. 

2 hours ago, Van40 said:

Bron needs another ring or two for a legitimate argument as the best. Winning with 3 different teams would be something. 

@Toews LJ my guy but right now MJ resume is stronger and the mythology of course is at it's peak. 

Yes, Jordan's resume is just far too strong. The standard he set is almost unfair for anyone to cross. There is some mythicism to it all, I agree. KAJ's longevity, an unbeatable shot should be put him in the discussion but he too has been shut out of it for the most part. I think your guy can go toe to toe with anyone but I can't put him next to MJ. Even the eye test, he is simply the most complete basketball player I have ever seen, the athleticism, the shooting, finishing at the rim, the relentless energy on defense. I needed Youtube to get a full appreciation of Michael Jordan, to me he is the greatest athlete of all time. 

Gotta say, I never was much into basketball, even when the Grizzlies were here. Went to a couple of games.  Might have had something to do with the league crippling us with restrictions on 1st round picks, and the few high picks we actually made never really playing above their pay grade, the complaining about the weather, etc etc.. And of course the losing. 

But watching The Last Dance, man I wish I would have watched some of those Bulls runs live to see the way he could just decide he was going to win a game and then backed it up. I've watched Lebron. The guy is superhuman, but nothing compares to Jordon. Lebron may be the nicer guy, who I'd like to hang out with, but I've never seen such a driven athlete as MJ.  The documentary interviewer asked him in the last ep if he thought he'd traded a reputation as a "nice guy" for being a winner.  He couldn't answer other that to repeat how hard he helped the team win and actually teared up and had to leave the set.  I think its because he knew it was true. I don't know many athletes who are willing to do that, give up all pretense of being regarded as a nice person in order to put a team on your back.

Pavel Bure had a little of that attitude, although he wasn't as much of a leader.

Well NBA season is probably gonna be cancelled :( so most likely one less sports event, such a sad time, and not sure if NHL and NFL can even play, so gonna be a boring year till next year :(

2020 will go down as the worst year in history ( or atleast one of the worst years )

Edited by x00x

On 5/14/2020 at 11:18 AM, Monty said:

Yeah, this Lebron v Jordan thing is, in my opinion, not even a debate. For those that ever watched the two (or in experts case, played against the two), know that Jordan was superior in virtually every way.

A few years ago, I think it was Barkley who said, after the Cavaliers lost in 4 straight to the Warriors, that if there was ever a debate, it ended there. Jordan was never a "no show" in a Finals. Not at any point in his career. Take away how liked or not liked they were by teammates, or who did more off the court, Jordan was on a whole other level. He transcended the game. He brought it to a level no other player had done before or since.

Iverson was my favorite player by far.  I even watched a Raptors/76ers rematch recently on tv / 6' 170lbs. with the sickest crossover of all time.  Easily on of the best sub 6' guards of all time when he was in his prime.

As for Jordan, sounds like he was a helluva player but a PoS human, problem now is he isn't playing anymore.  

3 hours ago, x00x said:

Well NBA season is probably gonna be cancelled :( so most likely one less sports event, such a sad time, and not sure if NHL and NFL can even play, so gonna be a boring year till next year :(

2020 will go down as the worst year in history ( or atleast one of the worst years )

The NBA is very likely coming back. They can push the current season into September if they have to. Will happen without fans though. 

Don't think they care if the next the season starts around Christmas. 

On 5/16/2020 at 2:33 AM, shiznak said:

Anyone still questioning who is the GOAT in basketball?

I am! You realize the point of this documentary heck any documentary about any player is to show them with no faults, and hype them up. What did the beginning of the documentary prove? Jordan couldn't do it on his own. Jordan couldn't beat prime magic prime Isiah prime bird on his OWN. He didn't get his first 3 peat until you guessed it he got some help. Trade for Pippen, and a couple other trades. Got one of the greatest basketball minds to come coach. Arguably the 2 greatest players in the NBA at that time ( other players words) were on the same team, no $&!# they ripped the NBA apart. There is a lot more talent in the NBA today compared to back then, and the shut down defenders each team has, or how much more physically gifted the teams are nowadays..... The overall league talent level isn't even a comparison

• Upvote 2

I think with the evolution of sports, it's hard to compare these two. Comparatively, MJ was much better than his competition, whereas LBJ is better than his competition, but it's a lot closer. The growth of sports has led to even the lower-end players being much better and the gaps between skill that much smaller. So MJ stood out by being well ahead of the other players (Think Gretzky for hockey), but their dominance would not be the same today considering the overall talent increase.

To put it into numbers (very arbitrary); MJ might have been a 95, but his competition was 70s, whereas LBJ is a 90, but competition is in the 80s.

As for who is better? It is also arbitrary, as MJ is the more natural shooter, but LBJ has that drive and physically wills points on the board.

If there was one last shot to win a game, I would want the ball in MJ's hands.

59 minutes ago, Sikhguy23 said:

Arguably the 2 greatest players in the NBA at that time ( other players words) were on the same team, no $&!# they ripped the NBA apart. There is a lot more talent in the NBA today compared to back then, and the shut down defenders each team has, or how much more physically gifted the teams are nowadays..... The overall league talent level isn't even a comparison

Most people don't even acknowledge the first part. MJ and Scottie were the best/most complete wings in the game and were on the same team.

And the watered down league is one of the reasons Jordan came back in 95 cause he thought he could "steal" a chip. 

Bird, Rodman and few other stars of the 90s have mentioned how expansion weakened the league

• Huggy Bear 1