The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NBA Discussion

BoKnows

• 5 weeks later...

Player leaves game at half time, and goes home.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nba/rockets-drama-kevin-porter-jr-leaves-arena-christian-wood-refuses-to-sub-in-after-assistant-john-lucas-calls-out-players/ar-AASlDFf?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

It was a regulation six-game slate on the first day of the NBA's 2022 schedule. 

There were two game-winners, one showdown in Salt Lake City between contenders and, of course, drama. The last bit came courtesy of the Houston Rockets, who were hosting the reigning MVP Nikola Jokic and the Denver Nuggets at the Toyota Center. 

The 124-111 final score line doesn't illustrate the gulf between the hosts and the visitors. 

NBA League Pass: Sign up to unlock live out-of-market games (7-day free trial)

The Nuggets led by as many as 31 points and held a 77-55 lead at intermission, which is reportedly when the Rockets drama went down.

What was the Rockets' halftime drama? 

Assistant coach John Lucas wasn't happy with the team's performance, and his outburst at halftime led to unexpected reactions by the players, as reported by The Athletic's Shams Charania.

Charania further reported that "Wood was benched to start the loss to Denver after missing a mandatory COVID-19 testing window. Lucas called out entire team at halftime, and focused on Wood's effort level. Porter had a heated exchange with the longtime assistant, and drove out of [the] arena at halftime."

Wood was reportedly late to warmups. He came off the bench after having started all of his previous 34 games this season. He played eight minutes in the first half Saturday and went 0 for 4 from the field. 

Following the halftime confrontation, he informed coaches that he had no desire to play in the second half. 

What was the postgame reaction to the Rockets' drama?

According to The Athletic's Kelly Iko, the Rockets have spoken to Porter since the incident and the guard is apologetic for his overreaction. 

"We had a spirited debate," Rockets head coach Stephen Silas said during his postgame media availability. "I have certain demands of this team as far as playing hard. . . . I wasn't satisfied with the effort."

This loss is the Rockets' seventh in a row and their 11th in 13 games since a seven-game winning streak in late November and early December. 

Rockets upcoming schedule

Despite their 10-27 record as of Jan. 1, these Rockets have already etched their name in NBA history. 

image.png.48997b75f512bc95e61a2c89cd9de1a3.png

It was a regulation six-game slate on the first day of the NBA's 2022 schedule. 

There were two game-winners, one showdown in Salt Lake City between contenders and, of course, drama. The last bit came courtesy of the Houston Rockets, who were hosting the reigning MVP Nikola Jokic and the Denver Nuggets at the Toyota Center. 

The 124-111 final score line doesn't illustrate the gulf between the hosts and the visitors. 

NBA League Pass: Sign up to unlock live out-of-market games (7-day free trial)

The Nuggets led by as many as 31 points and held a 77-55 lead at intermission, which is reportedly when the Rockets drama went down.

What was the Rockets' halftime drama? 

Assistant coach John Lucas wasn't happy with the team's performance, and his outburst at halftime led to unexpected reactions by the players, as reported by The Athletic's Shams Charania.

Charania further reported that "Wood was benched to start the loss to Denver after missing a mandatory COVID-19 testing window. Lucas called out entire team at halftime, and focused on Wood's effort level. Porter had a heated exchange with the longtime assistant, and drove out of [the] arena at halftime."

Wood was reportedly late to warmups. He came off the bench after having started all of his previous 34 games this season. He played eight minutes in the first half Saturday and went 0 for 4 from the field. 

Following the halftime confrontation, he informed coaches that he had no desire to play in the second half. 

What was the postgame reaction to the Rockets' drama?

According to The Athletic's Kelly Iko, the Rockets have spoken to Porter since the incident and the guard is apologetic for his overreaction. 

"We had a spirited debate," Rockets head coach Stephen Silas said during his postgame media availability. "I have certain demands of this team as far as playing hard. . . . I wasn't satisfied with the effort."

This loss is the Rockets' seventh in a row and their 11th in 13 games since a seven-game winning streak in late November and early December. 

Rockets upcoming schedule

Despite their 10-27 record as of Jan. 1, these Rockets have already etched their name in NBA history. 

The team will play a majority of its upcoming games — seven of nine — on the road. A look at its next five games:

Date Opponent Time (ET) National TV
Jan. 3 at 76ers 7 p.m -
Jan. 5 at Wizards 7 p.m -
Jan. 7 vs. Mavericks 8 p.m -
Jan. 9 vs. Timberwolves 7 p.m NBA TV
Jan. 12 at Spurs 8:30 p.m

• Upvote 1

Lebron -"some else has no place in the game"

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nba/wizards-announcer-apologizes-for-his-kevin-porter-jr-remark/ar-AASvcO7?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

On Wednesday night, NBA broadcaster Glenn Consor made a controversial remark while calling the Rockets-Wizards game.

After Kevin Porter Jr. hit a crucial shot for the Rockets late in the game, Consor made a comment about the guard’s father

You’ve got to give credit,” Consor said on the broadcast. “Kevin Porter Jr., like his dad, pulled that trigger right at the right time.”

Porter Jr.’s father, Bryan Kevin Porter Sr., pleaded guilty to first-degree manslaughter in a shooting of a 14-year-old girl in 1993. The fact that Consor said “pulled the trigger” on the broadcast didn’t sit right with just about every fan who watched last night’s game, and rightfully so.

On Thursday morning, Consor opened up about this situation. He apologized to Porter Jr., saying he thought he was the son of former Washington player Kevin Porter.

“Please allow me to take this opportunity to sincerely apologize to Kevin Porter Jr., his family and the Rockets organization for the comments I made during last night’s game,” Consor said. “I mistakenly thought that Kevin was the son of former Washington player Kevin Porter and was unaware that the words I choose to describe his game-winning shot would be in any way hurtful or insensitive. I have reached out to Kevin to personally apologize and hope to be able to talk with him soon.”

FIbhoq0UUAMKnBf?format=jpg&name=900x900

Consor has received a lot of criticism over the past 12 hours. LeBron James called out Consor on Twitter, saying there’s no place in the NBA for him.

Porter Jr. has not yet commented on this unfortunate situation."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So re tweeting vaccine misinformation is ok, as long as Lebron is doing it; but getting some one's parentage wrong, then apologizing for it equals " no place for that guy in the NBA".

Hypocrite.

I didn't necessarily love Memphis dishing Valanciunas at the time, but man Jaren Jackson Jr. is an absolute force. Great move to get him into the lineup.

Not to mention Ja will be an MVP someday soon. Bring this team back to Vancouver....

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Caboose said:

I didn't necessarily love Memphis dishing Valanciunas at the time, but man Jaren Jackson Jr. is an absolute force. Great move to get him into the lineup.

Not to mention Ja will be an MVP someday soon. Bring this team back to Vancouver....

Can’t believe it’s been 21 years since they left Vancouver, only here from 1995-2001 a short existence on the West Coast..

Nikola Jokic 49 point triple double including the game winning assist on a cross court pass for a corner 3. This guy has been keeping Denver in the race all year.

The west is going to be a bloodbath if the Clippers and Nuggets get healthy by the play ins.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Van40 said:

Warriors were 16.5 pt favorites against the Pacers today and lost the game in ot. Pacers were down all 5 starters and still got the W. 

Canadian Chris Duarte had 27 points! 

Pacers just beat the Lakers in LA the previous night as well(Caris Levert had a 22 point 4th Quarter) 

West FC:

Nikola Jokic

Brandon Ingram

Andrew Wiggins

West BC:

Steph Curry

Ja Morant

East FC:

Joel Embiid

Giannis

Jimmy Butler

East BC:

Fred Van Vleet

DeMar DeRozan

Not really any rhyme or reason, just voting for players I like.