The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NBA Discussion

BoKnows

Wade is getting criticized on social media for taking practice shots during singing of "O Canada".

Wade was in violation of the NBA rule book which reads in part: "Players, coaches and trainers are to stand and line up in a dignified posture along the sidelines or on the foul line during the playing of the National Anthem"

6 minutes ago, the last outlaw said:

Wade is getting criticized on social media for taking practice shots during singing of "O Canada".

Wade was in violation of the NBA rule book which reads in part: "Players, coaches and trainers are to stand and line up in a dignified posture along the sidelines or on the foul line during the playing of the National Anthem"

He stated that he didn't mean to be disrespectful. Nonetheless the outrage by fans was in the right.

MIAMI — Dwyane Wade promises to change his pre-game shooting routine after his behaviour during "O Canada" sparked outrage on social media.

The Miami Heat star has become Public Enemy No. 1 after video showed him shooting through the beginning of the national anthem for Saturday's game against the Toronto Raptors.

"I'm not a disrespectful person," Wade said Sunday. "So if anybody thinks I'm being disrespectful to a country, then they don't know who Dwyane Wade is."

Wade traditionally doesn't line up for the anthem until he hits his last shot, and blamed timing for his behaviour Saturday. When Canada's lone NBA franchise plays in Miami, the anthems start earlier than the regular schedule.

"It's something that I do before every game that I prepare for, and I've been doing it my whole career," Wade said. "So I understand whatever is said from that standpoint, but I'm not a disrespectful person. 

"It was no disrespect from myself. And if anybody feels like it was, please don't fill up my timeline with disrespectful comments, because that's not this guy right here. Find somebody else for that. But we'll adjust our pre-game routine for the next game."

The incident sparked outrage on Twitter. Toronto Mayor John Tory posted "Hey @DwyaneWade a Canadian invented the game. Respect the anthem. #WeTheNorth #RTZ."

Member of Provincial Parliament Mike Colle wrote a letter of complaint to commissioner Adam Silver.

To Wade's comments about not being a disrespectful person, former Ontario Premier Bob Rae tweeted: "Sure coulda fooled us!"

The Raptors went on to beat the Heat 95-91 to take a 2-1 lead in their best-of-seven second-round playoff series. Game 4 is Monday in Miami.

4 hours ago, the last outlaw said:

They need a rule for that?  Seriously?  Do they have a rule to not bring guns to practice?  Is there one to dress respectfully?  I appreciate how beautifully athletic many NBA players are, but they really have issues in their league.  Did Wade, even once, apologize and take responsibility?  

29 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

KD matches playoff career high with 41 points with his mom on the sidelines. 17 points in 4th quarter.

KD was on fire. He made Kawhi the 2 time dpoy look like a high schooler. 

• Upvote 1

It's like Dwayne Casey doesn't know what offense is.

If the 7 foot Noguiera has Wade or Dragic defending him on the switch, feed the big man in the post. Take advantage of your matchups. 

All of Casey's plays usually start 5 feet behind the 3 point line. Freaking useless. 

3 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

I honestly did NOT expect Lowry fouling out to be such a game breaker.

Because it brought DeRozan in.

Raptors basketball: Where your star players lose you games.