The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

This roadtrip likely a defining moment in this season

*Buzzsaw*

Lots of good signs from the Rookies, Miller has been playing lights out, but somehow the team doesn't have a lot of points.

They really need to put some 'W' markers on the board on this roadtrip, if they fall below 50% on it, they will be behind the 8 ball.

A little concerned about Miller, he has been playing a lot, and that usually is the point at which an older goalie gets injured... and if he goes down, the season could go into the toilet.  Hopefully he can get a couple quick wins, then pass the baton onto Markstrom and get some well deserved rest.

Good news is most of the injured guys are coming back and we have a lot of decent players down in Utica who can fill in if there are any other injuries.

But 7 games in a row on the road is a long stretch for a team which has not been firing on all cylinders.

Here's hoping the good signs which we have seen in the last few games become a consistent pattern and they put together a good string of wins.  I am personally optimistic... I think they have been playing better than their point total would suggest.

Pretty much my favourite part of being a Canucks fan..Can they beat the Leafs at the Air Canada centre ..?..Can they beat the Habs at the Bell Centre.?...nothing gives me more pleasure if we can beat those teams in their own barns.

I'm optimistic..all of a sudden it seems like we have depth,and can plug the holes with good players .

Lots of good signs from the Rookies, Miller has been playing lights out, but somehow the team doesn't have a lot of points.

They really need to put some 'W' markers on the board on this roadtrip, if they fall below 50% on it, they will be behind the 8 ball.

A little concerned about Miller, he has been playing a lot, and that usually is the point at which an older goalie gets injured... and if he goes down, the season could go into the toilet.  Hopefully he can get a couple quick wins, then pass the baton onto Markstrom and get some well deserved rest.

Good news is most of the injured guys are coming back and we have a lot of decent players down in Utica who can fill in if there are any other injuries.

But 7 games in a row on the road is a long stretch for a team which has not been firing on all cylinders.

Here's hoping the good signs which we have seen in the last few games become a consistent pattern and they put together a good string of wins.  I am personally optimistic... I think they have been playing better than their point total would suggest.

Yeah, they have! The Canucks also have one of the least regulation losses in the league which shows that this team can compete a full 60.

No question about it, this road trip is the real deal. We will get to see what this team really is; Miller and Mccann has helped this team lots, we all know Miller is going to burn out, it happens every year to him, The question this team will have to answer is what to do when Miller burns out, Is markstorm ready?

Furthermore, to me this year I feel the Sedins' have entered regression mode, the age is catching up and you can see they are really enjoying the company of the young guns, but it's like I said before the key to the playoffs is in the hand of the young guns not the veterans. The veterans when they get a chance fail to provide more then 3 goals, we seen it already this year. The young guys will be the key to the playoffs, it will be a interesting year, I feel playoffs will be achievable if Baerstchi plays the way he did last year. 

Hopefully everyone understands the Cracknell story is a similar story to Jeff Cowan and it will soon die out and we need Baertschi to get going offensively, but we also need stubborn Willie to let him play more then 10 minutes

Bah. Each season this early eastern road tip gets hyped up like this. I mean, anytime you go 0-7 it can tank your season, so it's a real concern, but the boys always seem to be up for this one. A lot of them are playing in front of family, against old teammates/friends/rivals they don't see very often, and there's the eastern media spotlight.

It's the little 2-4 game mini trips in the second half that define it for me. Those are the ones you sleepwalk into.

Typically they come home with wins, but also the injuries really start to roll in, during or after. That's what I'd worry about.

:wub: But, but, but we're tied for first place in our division?

Look > Miller has played lights out and has played a ton. It's fair to suggest we'll have to rely somewhat on Marky Markstrom at some stage. But we have at least 3 rookies, often 4 rookies, there will be nights this year (maybe even this road trip) with 5 & 6 rookies in the line up. So we've had some games we did not close out we could have won. That's just par in consideration!

The fact we're outplaying some teams and in position to win games with said young line up speaks to possibility more than despair!

I'd say pretty much every game on this upcoming road trip is an important and tough one aside from the Sabres and Leafs. Those two games, we should at least get a point or a win out of it.

LOL. I'd say those two games are the only ones that us fans need to be concerned about, knowing how the Canucks performed in the free point games last year.

I don't worry too much about the Leafs because we always seem to play well against them even though they suck (?) but I think we blew one of the games against the Sabres last season and the fans were mad.

The games thus far have yet to expose any critical weaknesses for the Canucks so I'm not worried at all about the road trip especially since most of the teams that we are playing are middle of the pack teams except for Montreal. I think we will do pretty well. 

The only concern so far has been in the third period with the lead but with Higgins coming back, we should do a better job of locking down the lead in the third. And as long as WD plays the simple strategy of playing every player, including the rookies at least 10 minutes each, the players should have enough left in the tank to preserve the lead. 

• 3 weeks later...
On November 1, 2015 at 11:27:44 PM, Honky Cat said:

Pretty much my favourite part of being a Canucks fan..Can they beat the Leafs at the Air Canada centre ..?..Can they beat the Habs at the Bell Centre.?...nothing gives me more pleasure if we can beat those teams in their own barns.

I'm optimistic..all of a sudden it seems like we have depth,and can plug the holes with good players .

As you can tell.......there's definitely been a reversal of fortune..

12 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Like I said, could be a defining moment.

It just may be and in a bad way too.

Although...it's early days and the team has been missing some important players.  Sutter, Prust and Sbisa are not top guys, but all have significant roles on the team.  The Canucks are thin on speed and ruggedness and it was far worse without these guys.

The revolving door of players and line changes is wreaking havoc on any chemistry the team might have.

The team defence is very weak, but perhaps JB can find a way to bring in some help.

I am hopeful that the Canucks can play better than what most have predicted, but if not, there should be a nice surprise in June.

Archived