The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sbisa put on IR

Outsiders

Pedan the next D call up?

I'd assume. Maybe Fedun...?

Thus lies the question

Who IS expendable?  We are I think almost to a member on this forum in agreement, nobody from our youth group, leaving who?  The significant issue falls that while we actually don't have a plethora of top 4 D men, either NHL ready or projected prospects, we have even less qualified depth at forward to secure someone who could be considered such.

There could be significant addition by subtraction in the near future.  I just hope that Lindenning maintains the status quo and allows for the team to sink or swim based on what's available instead of making trades

I think it's safe to say D.Sedin isn't going anywhere. Burrows can also play RW which we're going to need when we move Vrbata. I doubt Dorsett's going anywhere soon. They're also unlikely to be giving up on Baer so soon. Higgins is obviously the odd man out there as good and useful as he is. Prust is likely gone by the deadline, if not next year...

From there we've got Shinkaruk, Gaunce and Kenins in Utica.

I think it's safe to say that Higgins and Prust are on borrowed time but they'd likely be worth more at the deadline. Also neither, as you say, would be likely to fetch a quality top 4 (preojected or otherwise) D. There's need to be a sweetener.

Too bad.  I thought he's been playing well so far.

Edler-Tanev

Bartkowski-Weber

Hutton-Biega?

This D can user some help. Time to start talking to teams that are struggling & try to pick a D up via trade. Yes trade deadline is a better time usually but there are teams that need a shake up before that always. maybe we can package up a vet & prospect for a nice up & coming young D. 

I think it's safe to say D.Sedin isn't going anywhere. Burrows can also play RW which we're going to need when we move Vrbata. I doubt Dorsett's going anywhere soon. They're also unlikely to be giving up on Baer so soon. Higgins is obviously the odd man out there as good and useful as he is. Prust is likely gone by the deadline, if not next year...

I think it's safe to say that Higgins and Prust are on borrowed time but they'd likely be worth more at the deadline. Also neither, as you say, would be likely to fetch a quality top 4 (preojected or otherwise) D. There's need to be a sweetener.

Maybe we have to throw in a Hunter +(maybe a draft pick) with a Higgins to get a nice D?

Which brings us back to how viable it is for us to be shipping out a Gaunce or Shinkaruk to possibly plug a hole on our back end with a young questionable prospect or established older veteran.

While we've done ok at the 11 game mark, I cannot fathom any reasonable scenario where we can claim it's in the organizations' best interests in shipping out young forwards +(+) for D prospects or older vets.

Can we see another 2nd leaving the club along side Dorsett Prust Higgins or someone?

Which brings us back to how viable it is for us to be shipping out a Gaunce or Shinkaruk to possibly plug a hole on our back end with a young questionable prospect or established older veteran.

While we've done ok at the 11 game mark, I cannot fathom any reasonable scenario where we can claim it's in the organizations' best interests in shipping out young forwards +(+) for D prospects or older vets.

Can we see another 2nd leaving the club along side Dorsett Prust Higgins or someone?

I got no problem with giving up a Gaunce for a Hutton or a Hunter & Higgins for a Hutton type. We are in need of a younger D prospect than a younger Forward prospect.

I doubt they move many/any more high picks short of a blockbuster. Who say's it has to be Guance or Shink? And who said anything about older vets?

If we're trading for D, it's for an early maybe mid 20's guy that can come up with the rest of the prospects to form the new core.

Short-term Biega is a quality fill-in guy. I thought he was excellent in that role last year. Kept things very simple and did not look out of place at all. Pedan and Fedun have also been very good for the Comets so far.

Quality depth is there, just not a lot of NHL experience, yet.

I doubt they move many/any more high picks short of a blockbuster. Who say's it has to be Guance or Shink? And who said anything about older vets?

If we're trading for D, it's for an early maybe mid 20's guy that can come up with the rest of the prospects to form the new core.

U have to give value to get Value...I'm sure if we want to offer Jensen instead the return would be equivalent to Jensen not Gaunce.

I actually snorted when I saw this. I typically would have said the same thing except I think Sbisa has been playing quite well lately (other than frequent bad deflections that end up scoring on us - which I attribute to bad luck more than anything).

Get off the coke, there Mike Richards.

The main issue with that is we're not getting anyone under the age of 25 with that potential for anything less than Gaunce or Shink as a starting point.

Best to ride the season out with who we have than it is to make moves for the sake of making moves.

U have to give value to get Value...I'm sure if we want to offer Jensen instead the return would be equivalent to Jensen not Gaunce.

The main issue with that is we're not getting anyone under the age of 25 with that potential for anything less than Gaunce or Shink as a starting point.

Best to ride the season out with who we have than it is to make moves for the sake of making moves.

I think you two are confused. I never said anything about value or that we could get Ekblad for Higgins + Jensen. But I'm not sure why you guys are assuming it would be Shinkaruk or Gaunce either. 

Archived