The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sbisa put on IR

Outsiders

The main issue with that is we're not getting anyone under the age of 25 with that potential for anything less than Gaunce or Shink as a starting point.

Best to ride the season out with who we have than it is to make moves for the sake of making moves.

Exactly. Especially considering the Canucks D is doing a fine job at the moment, there is no reason to start messing with something that's already working.

I think you two are confused. I never said anything about value or that we could get Ekblad for Higgins + Jensen. But I'm not sure why you guys are assuming it would be Shinkaruk or Gaunce either. 

Warhippy didn't, he said nothing of less value than Shink/Gaunce, doesn't necessarily mean it has to be them.

I think you two are confused. I never said anything about value or that we could get Ekblad for Higgins + Jensen. But I'm not sure why you guys are assuming it would be Shinkaruk or Gaunce either. 

Not saying you did JR, don't be defensive now.

Just saying as per rumours and reports, that the price for young D men with the potential we need of the top 4 variety will be priced starting at one of our better young prospects.  gaunce, Shink etc as a starting point.  As per reports and rumours for what's available.

Then we have to factor in the market that says older players like Wideman, Beauchemain, Carle, MacDonald, Russel and Schenn and Polak are all available as well.

It's a buyers market for older players but a sellers market for what we need moving forward.  Not saying we should jump in at all, the exact opposite as a matter of fact.

But that prices might be more than we could capably or should capably try to play with and instead should just ride it out 11 games in.

Exactly. Especially considering the Canucks D is doing a fine job at the moment, there is no reason to start messing with something that's already working.

Just read the rumour mill and if what is available for older players is on the market vs what Gms are asking for D youth it isn't worth it for us.

You're right in that I am not suggesting Gaunce or Shinkaruk be our trading point.  But instead that other GMs won't even pick up the phone if they or our 1st 2 rounds of picks aren't made available.

Going by what Murray was reportedly asking for Fowler, we aren't even in the same league as what he's supposed to be asking for his youth.  And this early in the season there's no question the asking price for youth on decent contracts will be high indeed.

Let's simply stay with what we've got and ride it out.  No point trading, dancing or even entertaining thoughts on young D at what it would possibly cost us

Not saying you did JR, don't be defensive now.

Just saying as per rumours and reports, that the price for young D men with the potential we need of the top 4 variety will be priced starting at one of our better young prospects.  gaunce, Shink etc as a starting point.  As per reports and rumours for what's available.

Then we have to factor in the market that says older players like Wideman, Beauchemain, Carle, MacDonald, Russel and Schenn and Polak are all available as well.

It's a buyers market for older players but a sellers market for what we need moving forward.  Not saying we should jump in at all, the exact opposite as a matter of fact.

But that prices might be more than we could capably or should capably try to play with and instead should just ride it out 11 games in.

Not being defensive, I'm just not terribly clear what your point is. I'm keenly aware of the value issue, I'm just not sure why Gaunce/Shinkaruk are the first names mentioned (and not just by you FWIW) ;)

Schenn's 26 BTW, not sure I'd classify him as 'old' :P

Also, ride what out? The organization needs more NHL calibre D-depth and more (any) potential top 4 D prospect depth. That's not something you 'ride out'.

Not being defensive, I'm just not terribly clear what your point is. I'm keenly aware of the value issue, I'm just not sure why Gaunce/Shinkaruk are the first names mentioned (and not just by you FWIW) ;)

Schenn's 26 BTW, not sure I'd classify him as 'old' :P

Also, ride what out? The organization needs more NHL calibre D-depth and more (any) potential top 4 D prospect depth. That's not something you 'ride out'.

Schenn is VERY attractive as a 5-6 no question.  Even at his cap.  

I stand by that though my man.  I don't see any GM wanting to trade off any D men 16 or under with solid cap hits for anything less than a starting point of Gaunce and or Shinkaruk and or +  It isn't in anyone's best interests to give away youth in this league.  And I say that not just for Vancouver, but all 29 other teams as well and their version of those prospects.

We DO need those D men in our system, but not at these reported prices.  Better to simply ride it out again this season until such time as we know where we stand in the seasons playoff race and possibly just draft a plethora this draft.

This is year 2 under benning, not interested in seeing him keep giving up pieces.  He's supposed to be the draft genius.  Rather see him do what he can via the draft as opposed to the trade.  As history shows, our history trading for D men is not very good at all

Sbisa has played well this year, probably his best game in a Canuck uniform against Arizona.

Bulldog is a solid defenseman, I feel comfortable with him coming in. His age and tools limit his high-end potential but he can play solid defensively, lay out some nice hits and eat-up 15 minutes per game no problem. 

wity prust and sbisa out around a month each we will  have time to make a few trades by then.  Once we are all healthy benning will have to move 1-2 vets  the biggest hole we have in line up is right shooting dmen.

our center depth is awesome 

sedin sedin sutter

baertchi horvat virtanen 

burrows mccann gaunce 

prust cracknell dorsett 

(higgins, hansen, jensen, vey, kenins, vrbata, hamhuis) should all be traded for picks or packaged for a right hand top four dman 

Racks up some points and gets injured. Shame. If Hamhuis isn't ready to go against Philly this is going to be a joke.

Giroux + Voracek VS

Hutton - Weber

Bartkowski - Biega

Ouch.

I know Sbisa's only really our 5th defenceman but this just shows the importance of depth defencemen. In my books, Weber has been a fantastic 6th-7th defenceman and great injury fill in but Bartkowski has been pretty rubbish and Biega is a bad call-up to have. At least with Corrado we had stability and consistency on the blueline, far better than Biega.

This team desperately needs another top-4 defenceman, now with more urgency on the right hand side thanks to the emergence of Hutton.

Schenn is VERY attractive as a 5-6 no question.  Even at his cap.  

I stand by that though my man.  I don't see any GM wanting to trade off any D men 16 or under with solid cap hits for anything less than a starting point of Gaunce and or Shinkaruk and or +  It isn't in anyone's best interests to give away youth in this league.  And I say that not just for Vancouver, but all 29 other teams as well and their version of those prospects.

We DO need those D men in our system, but not at these reported prices.  Better to simply ride it out again this season until such time as we know where we stand in the seasons playoff race and possibly just draft a plethora this draft.

This is year 2 under benning, not interested in seeing him keep giving up pieces.  He's supposed to be the draft genius.  Rather see him do what he can via the draft as opposed to the trade.  As history shows, our history trading for D men is not very good at all

I'm not suggesting that we go overspend right this very second. But at some point, we're going to likely have to make a trade if we want to have a competitive D-core in 2-3 years (short of getting VERY lucky drafting/developing) and it's not ever going to be cheap.

This is another reason I like the idea of Schenn (though we'd have to dump salary elsewhere). He'd make for serviceable, ready, NHL quality depth and would cost us next to nothing. NHL ready depth that we lack and a skill set that our D otherwise lacks. And if he can manage to turn things around...:towel:

I think we're largely on the same page here WH but I don't like the absolutes or hard line your taking. If he can improve the team whether it's next week, the deadline, next summer he should do it. And it will cost other assets. I think you'll agree that the D is the area that needs the most shoring up. 

That said, I hold out hope that once we ditch Vrbata, Hamhuis, Higgins and Prust for picks that we can somehow parlay some of that and our 1st (and/or a prospect) in to Chychrun this draft ::D

This team desperately needs another top-4 defenceman, now with more urgency on the right hand side thanks to the emergence of Hutton.

Benning on fone to Buffalo asking about availability of their new hotshot defenseman in Rochester ...... Bo Sang

Racks up some points and gets injured. Shame. If Hamhuis isn't ready to go against Philly this is going to be a joke.

Giroux + Voracek VS

Hutton - Weber

Bartkowski - Biega

Ouch.

I know Sbisa's only really our 5th defenceman but this just shows the importance of depth defencemen. In my books, Weber has been a fantastic 6th-7th defenceman and great injury fill in but Bartkowski has been pretty rubbish and Biega is a bad call-up to have. At least with Corrado we had stability and consistency on the blueline, far better than Biega.

In another thread, less than 5 minutes ago you were suggesting we have an AHL bottom 4 D.  Here Weber is a fantastic 6th or 7th D?

Here is your quote, not 5 minutes old.

Right now, without Hamhuis, our pairings look like this:

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Weber

Bartkowski - Biega

? Fedun ?

That's an all-AHL bottom-4 there. Hutton's been great so far but he's still just an 18ish minute guy, Weber should be the 6th defenceman, Bartkowski should be the first injury replacement and we really need a better 1st call-up from the AHL than bloody Biega who is useless.

In another thread, less than 5 minutes ago you were suggesting we have an AHL bottom 4 D.  Here Weber is a fantastic 6th or 7th D?

Here is your quote, not 5 minutes old.

Right now, without Hamhuis, our pairings look like this:

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Weber

Bartkowski - Biega

? Fedun ?

That's an all-AHL bottom-4 there. Hutton's been great so far but he's still just an 18ish minute guy, Weber should be the 6th defenceman, Bartkowski should be the first injury replacement and we really need a better 1st call-up from the AHL than bloody Biega who is useless.

he just regurgitates the gist of whatever media soundbite or opinion piece tumbled between his ears at that moment, and then proceeds to rape screen real estate with incomplete rosters and blocks of senseless text that all hinges on the original incorrect gist.

T_________T 

If fedun gets the call up, will he have go clear waivers to go back down? 

He would have cleared already when first assigned to Utica, so the 10/30 rule would be in effect. Meaning (if called up) he's waivers free until he reaches 10 NHL games or 30 days on the roster (cumulative) at which point his waiver status resets and he needs to clear again to be sent down.

Archived