The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sbisa put on IR

Outsiders

With Sbisa out; we're ok short term   Left side D rolls Edler, Hutton, Bart. That's actually pretty good!

The fair question is who slots in with Tanev, Weber? I guess the obvious answer is Biega or Fedun > RHD.

I wonder if they bring up Pedan though? What they like about Sbisa is that he serves up hits, physical play and does not mind offsetting any attempts to intimidate our team.. Pedan does some of those things better?

Andersson, Clendenning, Bo Sang all let go in the off season or traded.

Kind of worried about our already questionable D, even more worried about what kind of possible knee jerk moves could be made by our management at the 11 game mark with Hammer and Sbisa down

Ryan Stanton for a 5th in 2017

I'm not suggesting that we go overspend right this very second. But at some point, we're going to likely have to make a trade if we want to have a competitive D-core in 2-3 years (short of getting VERY lucky drafting/developing) and it's not ever going to be cheap.

This is another reason I like the idea of Schenn (though we'd have to dump salary elsewhere). He'd make for serviceable, ready, NHL quality depth and would cost us next to nothing. NHL ready depth that we lack and a skill set that our D otherwise lacks. And if he can manage to turn things around...:towel:

I think we're largely on the same page here WH but I don't like the absolutes or hard line your taking. If he can improve the team whether it's next week, the deadline, next summer he should do it. And it will cost other assets. I think you'll agree that the D is the area that needs the most shoring up. 

That said, I hold out hope that once we ditch Vrbata, Hamhuis, Higgins and Prust for picks that we can somehow parlay some of that and our 1st (and/or a prospect) in to Chychrun this draft ::D

I am not taking a hard line.  I am simply saying if we lose Gaunce or Shinkaruk to grab a top 4 D prospect while still shedding LW vets we're adding by subtraction and creating holes elsewhere is all.

Yes we NEED those desperately.  But we can obtain them via the draft or next season via rookies.  Or even free agency if we have the cap space.

Creating holes in our NHL ready prospects to fill a hole isn't going to help us much in the future

I am not taking a hard line.  I am simply saying if we lose Gaunce or Shinkaruk to grab a top 4 D prospect while still shedding LW vets we're adding by subtraction and creating holes elsewhere is all.

Yes we NEED those desperately.  But we can obtain them via the draft or next season via rookies.  Or even free agency if we have the cap space.

Creating holes in our NHL ready prospects to fill a hole isn't going to help us much in the future

Agreed, but you're the one who keeps mentioning Gaunce and Shinkaruk (the 'holes') :P

Agreed, but you're the one who keeps mentioning Gaunce and Shinkaruk (the 'holes') :P

Yes.  i AM mentioning them.  Again JR, as per reports.  THAT + is the starting point for D prospects or players such as Fowler.  I mention them because after them and maybe Jensen...we have absolutely nobody in the forward position who is NHL ready worth speaking of

So yes.  I am going to mention them.  Because Higgins, Prust, Dorsett...they're not getting us anyone near or comparable to a Fowler or top 4 D man or prospect under 25

Racks up some points and gets injured. Shame. If Hamhuis isn't ready to go against Philly this is going to be a joke.

Giroux + Voracek VS

Hutton - Weber

Bartkowski - Biega

Ouch.

I know Sbisa's only really our 5th defenceman but this just shows the importance of depth defencemen. In my books, Weber has been a fantastic 6th-7th defenceman and great injury fill in but Bartkowski has been pretty rubbish and Biega is a bad call-up to have. At least with Corrado we had stability and consistency on the blueline, far better than Biega.

This team desperately needs another top-4 defenceman, now with more urgency on the right hand side thanks to the emergence of Hutton.

Corrado wasn't good enough. His camp was subpar and his performance in the preseason was below average. And now, he's been sent to the Marlies on a conditioning stint.

Don't be a champion for mediocrity.

Just saying as per rumours and reports, that the price for young D men with the potential we need of the top 4 variety will be priced starting at one of our better young prospects.  gaunce, Shink etc as a starting point.  As per reports and rumours for what's available.

Then we have to factor in the market that says older players like Wideman, Beauchemain, Carle, MacDonald, Russel and Schenn and Polak are all available as well.

It's a buyers market for older players but a sellers market for what we need moving forward.  Not saying we should jump in at all, the exact opposite as a matter of fact.

But that prices might be more than we could capably or should capably try to play with and instead should just ride it out 11 games in.

Why is Beauchemin on the market?  If I were Colorado that comes later, at the deadline. He's helping them atm.

But also FTR why bring up names like Russell, Wideman?  They would help us! But we are not doing so well we should be paying good assets for older or rental D men. Some of the other vets mentioned less so.

Maybe a flyer on a near freebee like Schenn.  He could add, minus some speed, what Sbisa brings and even more nasty from the right side of our D if we could squeeze in his cap.

Why is Beauchemin on the market?  If I were Colorado that comes later, at the deadline. He's helping them atm.

But also FTR why bring up names like Russell, Wideman?  They would help us! But we are not doing so well we should be paying good assets for older or rental D men. Some of the other vets mentioned less so.

Maybe a flyer on a near freebee like Schenn.  He could add, minus some speed, what Sbisa brings and even more nasty from the right side of our D if we could squeeze in his cap.

You're missing a lot of interaction CS

Those are what rumours have as available D men, for cap reasons, lack of production or roster space needed.  For various reasons these are the names on rumour mills as veteran D men available.

Where as the youngsters that are rumoured to be available by contrast are being dangled for a kings ransom, again Fowler as per rumours who murray has starting at a Top Prospect/1st to start and even then with the preference to send him east.

That's why those veteran names are up there, we have needs for younger players/prospects of the top 4 potential, not vets.  Yet that's what's available.

It all boils down imo to us simply riding out the injury bug because we don't need old stop gaps, Schenn age sure; but the rest not so much.  And I don't think we can feasibly play in the market for the younger D men/prospects rumoured to be available right now without creating more holes in our org.

This is the joy of retooling...a lot of maintaining the status quo

Yes.  i AM mentioning them.  Again JR, as per reports.  THAT + is the starting point for D prospects or players such as Fowler.  I mention them because after them and maybe Jensen...we have absolutely nobody in the forward position who is NHL ready worth speaking of

So yes.  I am going to mention them.  Because Higgins, Prust, Dorsett...they're not getting us anyone near or comparable to a Fowler or top 4 D man or prospect under 25

You've seen reports specifically naming Gaunce/Shink? I must have missed that news line.

So (not that I necessarily want to trade them) you don't think guys like Boesser or Cassels could draw some significant interest as well? 

I think you're assuming when I said 'parlay some of our LW depth...' you thought I meant a very direct prospect for prospect trade when I'd imagine something a little more scenic would be required. Getting smaller returns for say Higgins and Prust and packaging those with something else might get us closer to where we're hoping to get is all I'm saying.

And while I'm sure CDC will lynch me for even mentioning it... But with Hutton's so far excellent play, if he continues on this trajectory, you don't think a package of say a 2nd/high 3rd (from moving Prust/Higgins), Hutton, Jensen and our 1st could get us a pretty darn good young D...? Or maybe with some combo with the return of Vrbata/Hamhuis and Hutton +? I mean I love Hutton but if we could parlay him in to a true #1D without really creating any significant holes...

Of course all of that will depend highly on how our other existing D are developing, who Benning is targeting at the draft and if they can 'replace' other existing, currently higher value forwards etc.

I'm glad Benning's keeping track of all that and not me :lol:

You've seen reports specifically naming Gaunce/Shink? I must have missed that news line.

So (not that I necessarily want to trade them) you don't think guys like Boesser or Cassels could draw some significant interest as well? 

I think you're assuming when I said 'parlay some of our LW depth...' you thought I meant a very direct prospect for prospect trade when I'd imagine something a little more scenic would be required. Getting smaller returns for say Higgins and Prust and packaging those with something else might get us closer to where we're hoping to get is all I'm saying.

And while I'm sure CDC will lynch me for even mentioning it... But with Hutton's so far excellent play, if he continues on this trajectory, you don't think a package of say a 2nd/high 3rd (from moving Prust/Higgins), Hutton, Jensen and our 1st could get us a pretty darn good young D...? Or maybe with some combo with the return of Vrbata/Hamhuis and Hutton +? I mean I love Hutton but if we could parlay him in to a true #1D without really creating any significant holes...

Of course all of that will depend highly on how our other existing D are developing, who Benning is targeting at the draft and if they can 'replace' other existing, currently higher value forwards etc.

I'm glad Benning's keeping track of all that and not me :lol:

You sir are insane and yes they're getting their ropes and pitchforks ready now

That's the kind of thinking that keeps setting this club back, shows amazing potential.  Trade him.

No reports naming those two specifically, but reports stating NHL ready prospects or youth in return for established young NHL dmen of the top 4 variety.  If gaunce and Shink aren't those in our club who is?  Because that leaves Hutton, Horvat and McCaan/Virtanen which is just more addition by subtraction which is pointless.

Your scenario of higgins prust etc and parlaying that return is the only way i see us feasibly moving up to getting what we need, because I cannot foresee any possibility of us losing our youth and somehow gaining from it without creating mroe needless holes

All the pizza haters must be pretty happy today. But  We just got a lot weaker In front of the net though.

The only real positive from this injury is the time.  We are going to the East coast for a while so we don't exactly need to have a net clearer but once we get back to Western Conference games we are going to be in a lot of trouble

You sir are insane and yes they're getting their ropes and pitchforks ready now

That's the kind of thinking that keeps setting this club back, shows amazing potential.  Trade him.

No reports naming those two specifically, but reports stating NHL ready prospects or youth in return for established young NHL dmen of the top 4 variety.  If gaunce and Shink aren't those in our club who is?  Because that leaves Hutton, Horvat and McCaan/Virtanen which is just more addition by subtraction which is pointless.

Your scenario of higgins prust etc and parlaying that return is the only way i see us feasibly moving up to getting what we need, because I cannot foresee any possibility of us losing our youth and somehow gaining from it without creating mroe needless holes

That's the thing with those moves. They either define you as the move that made your club or the one that sank it . Benning's got a very risk filled job :lol: 

As good as Hutton looks, he still looks an awful lot like a good #2/#3 guy at his peak IMO. And that's great, but it's not a #1D. If you can parlay him in to a #1D, don't you take that risk? Especially if you feel confident to back fill in those #3-#5 guys with your scouting acumen?

Trade Hutton hells no man yous hella crazy......

Just spit ballin' sport ;) I love the kid and hope we can keep him an Benning finds another way to get us a solid #1D prospect. Just trying to show WH that there more than one Shink/Gaunce to skin a cat.

We haven't drafted a quality d-man like him for something like 10 years. I get your point for sure but I'd look for other options that's not trading r best young d-man. The Canucks last d-man that was drafted n played a solid all around game for the Canucks was the late LB  R.I.P now that's a hella long time is it not????

Archived