The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sbisa put on IR

Outsiders

We haven't drafted a quality d-man like him for something like 10 years. I get your point for sure but I'd look for other options that's not trading r best young d-man. The Canucks last d-man that was drafted n played a solid all around game for the Canucks was the late LB  R.I.P now that's a hella long time is it not????

No argument here. Our best between the LB year (2005) and Hutton (2012) was Corrado, and he couldn't make the team this season.

Just as worrying though is that none of our 1st round picks between LB and Bo (2013) have solidified a spot on the roster (Grabner, White, Hodgson, Schroeder, Jensen and Gaunce)

You're missing a lot of interaction CS

Those are what rumours have as available D men, for cap reasons, lack of production or roster space needed.  For various reasons these are the names on rumour mills as veteran D men available.

Where as the youngsters that are rumoured to be available by contrast are being dangled for a kings ransom, again Fowler as per rumours who murray has starting at a Top Prospect/1st to start and even then with the preference to send him east.

That's why those veteran names are up there, we have needs for younger players/prospects of the top 4 potential, not vets.  Yet that's what's available.

It all boils down imo to us simply riding out the injury bug because we don't need old stop gaps, Schenn age sure; but the rest not so much.  And I don't think we can feasibly play in the market for the younger D men/prospects rumoured to be available right now without creating more holes in our org.

This is the joy of retooling...a lot of maintaining the status quo

Yeah I have read a few more pages of the thread.  Did miss some items.  I also agree, quite heavily, that we don't engage in stop gap fillers or rentals to prop us up artificially. 

Especially because Hamhuis is apparently also back.? Part and parcel I am surprised that some of the names on your list are rumours.  Maybe I've also missed dialogue elsewhere. Others like Wideman or Russell are actually pretty logical names to be out there. Even Fowler to an extent. But not all.

Now, as to us. We are currently in the business of building. So I do disagree that we should not acquire young parts we know we need. We clearly need size and physicality, a bone crunching crease clearer, on our D. Will that be Pedan? Tryamkin? We stilldo not know... And we absolutely need help on the right side of our D. Injuries or no! It would not hurt, at all, if we found a right handed twin to Hutton for example. A guy who can handle the puck and jump into plays from either side of the pond. Hamhuis and Bart are both UFA this year, so we need Pedan PLUS? There is lots of scope to suggest improving our  young D, in particular the right side of our D, is the critical element to our long term health!

There are young guys that could conceivably be out there. Jordan Schmaltz may never see the light of PP time in St Lou if, as u would expect, Shattenkirk, Parayko and Pietrangelo remain in their long term plans. They are all right side D. Doubt Schmaltz would even cost you Vrbata? With Petrovic & EKBLAD handling size and physical play; would Florida give up Gudbranson to make a play at FINALLY playing in the play offs before someone hands Jagr a cane? Or Petrovic who would be cheaper and exactly the 3rd pairing big nasty D we need! I'll call him DD I like him so much! Jersey, Carolina, hell even Philly are as heavily tilted in D prospects as we are in forward ones???

As much as canucks would love a young top for D man we’re best on not giving up the assets required.

Firstly we are really not strong enough in youth depth to be freely moving them yet.   Yes it’s nice we finally have a prospect pool but we also have an aging old core that were hanging on to.  We have a turnover rate with what… 3-4 years remaining, we NEED to hold on to these prospects.  We aren’t in a position to move out those youth yet.  A team like the Kings, or Duck, or Hawks, can afford to move out their top prospect because their core is locked up long term. They have 6+ years before they need to replace their player so it gives them time to sell off and then restock. 

Secondly, young top D aren’t moved that often, teams tend to want to hang on to that player type.  If they are moving them there’s usually an underlying reason.   

The best move right now is for us not to try and take a short cut to speed things up but instead it’s to keep going down the path of drafting and developing our own D. This year our main focus should be drafting D and I’m sure JB is scouting all options.  As I’ve mentions in other threads, the D prospects are look pretty good this year and if JB can pick up a few more picks in the top 60, it would greatly change the outlook on our D prospect pool.     

But if there were some players to go after, NSH has 3 right handed shots in their top 4.  Ellis would be the cheapest of the group to go after. 

Hamhuis and/or Vbrata would look like attractive trading pieces going back the other way.  Heck trade them both while retaining cap, 

Hammer and Vbrata for Ellis + conditional pick (1st if Hammer resigns, 2nd if he doesn't).  Ellis leaving meaning more money to re-sign jones who is RFA at the end of the year. 

There are young guys that could conceivably be out there. Jordan Schmaltz may never see the light of PP time in St Lou if, as u would expect, Shattenkirk, Parayko and Pietrangelo remain in their long term plans. 

I think they might actually move Shattenkirk to make room. He's on an expiring (next year if I recall) contract. He's only 26...I'd entertain making a move for him next summer once we've got pieces from Moving Vrbata, Hamhuis, Higgins and Prust to play with.

I think they might actually move Shattenkirk to make room. He's on an expiring (next year if I recall) contract. He's only 26...I'd entertain making a move for him next summer once we've got pieces from Moving Vrbata, Hamhuis, Higgins and Prust to play with.

You and smithers joe.

I'm curious to see what Shattenkirk would fetch on the open market via trade. He might be the closest thing to a Franchise defenceman who can be aquired via  trade

That's the thing with those moves. They either define you as the move that made your club or the one that sank it . Benning's got a very risk filled job :lol: 

As good as Hutton looks, he still looks an awful lot like a good #2/#3 guy at his peak IMO. And that's great, but it's not a #1D. If you can parlay him in to a #1D, don't you take that risk? Especially if you feel confident to back fill in those #3-#5 guys with your scouting acumen?

But one teams 3rd pairing guy, say Nick Leddy, is another teams top pairing guy?

Look, if we had more PMD lefty prospects behind Hutton an easier case could be made. Lets just say we should probably make a move from where we do have strength to fill in if we lose a guy?

We have that in LW, perhaps centre prospects? Potentially we can move Hamhuis because Hutton is coming on? We definitely have that in one of Burrows, Hansen or Higgins, because we have a prospect who can jump in...

But one teams 3rd pairing guy, say Nick Leddy, is another teams top pairing guy?

Look, if we had more PMD lefty prospects behind Hutton an easier case could be made. Lets just say we should probably make a move from where we do have strength to fill in if we lose a guy?

We have that in LW, perhaps centre prospects? Potentially we can move Hamhuis because Hutton is coming on? We definitely have that in one of Burrows, Hansen or Higgins, because we have a prospect who can jump in...

Just spit ballin' sport ;) I love the kid and hope we can keep him an Benning finds another way to get us a solid #1D prospect. Just trying to show WH that there more than one Shink/Gaunce to skin a cat.

I'd fire the coach first personally? If they don't make strides to a cup...

Kirky is a keeper if I'm running that team.

Racks up some points and gets injured. Shame. If Hamhuis isn't ready to go against Philly this is going to be a joke.

Giroux + Voracek VS

Hutton - Weber

Bartkowski - Biega

Ouch.

I know Sbisa's only really our 5th defenceman but this just shows the importance of depth defencemen. In my books, Weber has been a fantastic 6th-7th defenceman and great injury fill in but Bartkowski has been pretty rubbish and Biega is a bad call-up to have. At least with Corrado we had stability and consistency on the blueline, far better than Biega.

This team desperately needs another top-4 defenceman, now with more urgency on the right hand side thanks to the emergence of Hutton.

what have you been watching the past 2 seasons?  Biega has been better than corrado hands down and he showed it again in the preseason.  Corrado can't even get into a terrible leafs lineup for crying out loud :rolleyes: 

People are over-reacting to this sbisa injury like crazy, wow!  Biega can fill in just fine while he's gone, heck I'm gonna even predict that we will be just as good if not better.  We'll miss his physical game but biega can bring a bit of that.

Archived