The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Stone suspended two games for illegal check to head

poetica

Agreed. I was blown away that Zetterberg didn't get a phone call. Not only was the principle point of contact the head, but he actually jumped off the ground to hit him. Seemed like a pretty clear headshot/charge to me.

His elbow isn't exactly tucked into his side either... All the mechanics are there for a suspendable hit, if it had been more on target then it could have had serious injury consequences.

In a contact sport with hitting, intent to hit isn't the issue.  It's the intent to hit the head whether or not the hit was illegal which is, and I doubt he did.  The penalty seemed to be enough, but the league suspended him 2 games and it's not the end of the world.

Fixed that for you. The only way intent matters is if there is intent to hit illegally (not specifically the head or otherwise). We certainly know it wasn't accidental because Stone admitted he was trying to hit Ferraro, so from there it's purely about the mechanics of the hit and if they were illegal or not. If it's illegal, then headshot, injury, severity, etc. just figures in how bad the punishment is.

Archived