The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Canucks win 4-1 against the Stinky Flyers.

Odd.

Jeff Paterson @patersonjeff 2h2 hours ago

maybe Horvat's like Luongo -- just doesn't do October. Didn't play last season due to injury. Didn't have much going this time around.

It's possible. Horvat didn't have a point in his AHL conditioning stint. Maybe he's a slow starter? Didn't look like it in preseason though...

I really like the lines. I feel like given the injuries the complement eachother well.

Sedin Sedin Vrbata - looked pretty good. Generated a lot of offense. Generally speaking Vrbata needs to bury some more chances, but they looked good. They are all offense, and I think some points are going to start getting buried real soon.

Burrows Sutter Virtanen - looked like a very tough line to play against. Always fast and in your face. Defensively responsible too. This could be a solid line for us.

Baertschi Horvat Hansen - Also looked very solid. Horvat and Hansen already have the speed, muscle, and chemistry to be affective. I like how Baertschi is coming along too. Also playing with 2 defensively responsible players should help him.

Dorsett McCann Cracknell - McCann should probably play 4c for much of this year. He gives the 4th line that little added bit of speed and offensive ability to make them an actual threat down the lineup. They other two also defensively responsible

Not bad out there. I like the way it's built, and I like the way they play. Each rookie is given 2 responsible defensive players to take some heat off, while the top line is all out offense. I think this could click.

Also. I like the Hutton Bartkowski combo. Thought they could work well together.

I love how every line gets me excited. Every season, there's some grinder lines on our team that does nothing but kill time and I'm just pretty much waiting for that shift to end  but this season, line after line, I'm excited to see who comes on the ice next. Every line has an element of excitement. 

I love how every line gets me excited. Every season, there's some grinder lines on our team that does nothing but kill time and I'm just pretty much waiting for that shift to end  but this season, line after line, I'm excited to see who comes on the ice next. Every line has an element of excitement. 

I miss the useless grinder lines! Bring back Marc Chouinard! ^_^

Jon Abbott @HockeyAbbs 1h1 hour ago

"Bo came up to me in the intermission and said I feel one coming, so he called that one" - Virtanen on Horvat predicting his 1st #NHL goal.

Bo is showing his leadership qualities already.  The kids respect the elders but you know it is Bo they idolize and will follow going forward. 

that's because Dorsett and Prust aren't really 4th liners

And Mats Lindgren and Chubarov. Those were the guys we used to get excited about. Now it's McCann, Jake, Hutton, Gaunce, Baerstchi, Horvat with Boesser, Shink and Cassels on the way 

What a turnaround 

I have twelve Darren Langdon jerseys from his single season in Vancouver. 

And Mats Lindgren and Chubarov. Those were the guys we used to get excited about. Now it's McCann, Jake, Hutton, Gaunce, Baerstchi, Horvat with Boesser, Shink and Cassels on the way 

What a turnaround 

Brandon Reid. 

NHL.com's summary:

Horvat put the Canucks ahead during a 4-on-4 situation after offsetting minor penalties to Giroux and Daniel Sedin. Hornet skated behind the net and out the other side, holding off defenseman Mark Streit up to right hash marks before spinning and sweeping a low shot past Nick Schultz's block attempt and Mason's right pad, just inside the far post.

that's because Dorsett and Prust aren't really 4th liners

Amen to that bro'

I watched Dorsett play all through his last NYR season (because AV was coaching) and I couldn't believe they let him go. Prust WAS a surprise though and I think Willie has obviously built up his confidence seeing how good a hockey player he is in practice.

Having said that I also feel the same about Cracknell. He keeps surprising me with some of the little things he does that seems to set him above 4th line grinder. One of the things I look for is how well a player "plays in" his team mates and each one of these three has that fine quality.

Sedin Sedin Vrbata - looked pretty good. Generated a lot of offense. Generally speaking Vrbata needs to bury some more chances, but they looked good. They are all offense, and I think some points are going to start getting buried real soon.

Burrows Sutter Virtanen - looked like a very tough line to play against. Always fast and in your face. Defensively responsible too. This could be a solid line for us.

Baertschi Horvat Hansen - Also looked very solid. Horvat and Hansen already have the speed, muscle, and chemistry to be affective. I like how Baertschi is coming along too. Also playing with 2 defensively responsible players should help him.

Dorsett McCann Cracknell - McCann should probably play 4c for much of this year. He gives the 4th line that little added bit of speed and offensive ability to make them an actual threat down the lineup. They other two also defensively responsible

Put higgins in for Cracknell and bam that line becomes a lot more dynamic with jared and chris. i think they can develop some nice chemistry too.

Congrats on first goal Jake! 

All this excitement is great but in all honesty, where would the canucks sbe if Hutton hadn't emerged like this? He is honestly the 4th best d-men right now. He wasn't even expected to make it. Imagine instead of him,  our 4-6 rotation consists of Sbisa, Barthowski, Weber. We would definitely have a few more Ls on the board. Hutton's play allows us to have a winning culture and a good environment for our other young guys as without him, our defence would be getting shellacked every night. There should be at most 2 of Sbisa, Weber, Barthowski playing per game. 

He's probably the 4th best D man in the Conference.

His recovery is just so damn fast, opponents are fooled time and again. He attacks like McDavid when he goes on these end to end mazy runs, his physicality increases every game, he's almost (almost) too quick to nail with a hit, impossible, if he sees it coming and low and behold he also seems to have a pretty good slapper. What did we do to deserve this guy, everyone is talking about McCann and Jake but we should be including our "quarterback prince" Ben Hutton

A week or two ago I compared him to Keith, without the scummy bits and I don't think that's any exaggeration. I also think Tanev has upped his game since Hutton came into the team (maybe he thinks "if this guy can attack I can too")

this is a very good year for the kids to play along side an with the Sedins as they are 35 now.It may be a big drop off to 36 as most do drop alot after 35 ,now the kids get to see smart hockey at its best an foster a nurturing aspect that will be long lasting it s impact.It s to bad Boesr could not be here to take advantage of this trade craft transfer.I think the kids did well last night real good.

I think the Sedins will be elite for another 3 years. It will be their gift to the Canucks Org. to see in all the young generation and then bow out gracefully at the top. I actually don't see much drop off year to year in their play, only in their point production.

He's probably the 4th best D man in the Conference.

His recovery is just so damn fast, opponents are fooled time and again. He attacks like McDavid when he goes on these end to end mazy runs, his physicality increases every game, he's almost (almost) too quick to nail with a hit, impossible, if he sees it coming and low and behold he also seems to have a pretty good slapper. What did we do to deserve this guy, everyone is talking about McCann and Jake but we should be including our "quarterback prince" Ben Hutton

A week or two ago I compared him to Keith, without the scummy bits and I don't think that's any exaggeration. I also think Tanev has upped his game since Hutton came into the team (maybe he thinks "if this guy can attack I can too")

I see a lot of PK Subban in him when he carries the puck, both will make mistakes but are confident enough to try things and create chances. 

Archived