The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Can Ryan Miller continue his Elite play?

Sedin Brothers

Without a doubt. People are looking at the Canucks D, and are questioning if Miller can continue his hot streak that he showed for many years before being bounced around teams.

The Canucks have allowed more shots on goal than any other team. Problem? Not for Miller, who made a living saving an average of 34.7 shots per net in his time in Buffalo. The results? The improbable run in the playoffs until they met Carolina, many playoff appearances, a Vezina trophy, and was widely regarded as a top 3 goalie.

When he moved to St. Louis, he played with a great D and didn't get many shots on him - that's not his game. As a goalie, Miller is the Class A example of a player that is so fundamentally sound and when he gets 30+ shots on him he's a brick wall.

He's also the MVP on a team that is leading in the Pacific.

Can he keep it up Nucks fans? Conversely, if he does keep it up, do we play Markstrom much? Is it very important to develop him this year?

I'll reserve judgement as he was off to a hot start last season as well.  I've been a big Lack supporter on these boards, but I have to say that Miller is playing great.  Last season Miller was very inconsistent with a shutout one game and getting pulled in the next.  This season so far he has been very consistent!   Our 2 losses were by a single goal and he has kept us in many games we didn't deserve to be in.  My hope is this is the Miller we get all season.  But only time will tell.  Go Miller the Pillar! 

Yes, Miller can and will. A big reason for the goalie performing well is usually the team playing well in front of him. That says a lot about team systems and style of play. We have a decent head coach with great assistants. As long as Miller stays healthy I think he'll continue to play well.

Remember in the summer when JB said he had offers for Miller but didn't trade him? That was more to shut down the Miller hate in the media and fan base and to give Miller a confidence boost than anything else. Could very well be that there were no legit trade offers for Miller. Mgmt has to do those types of things in a market like ours. I think JB handled that splendidly. 

Edit: further to my point I said yesterday in gdt/pgt that Miller has been MVP of this team so far (or something to that affect) don't remember my exact words. Any ways heres hoping Miller keeps playing well and team has lot of success. 

HOw about the energy the youth has brought to this team. No longer stale and boring. Can't wait for next game.

Yes, he can. People are gonna turn on him the next time he has a bad game though, and he will have one eventually. But Miller did this all the time in Buffalo, I have faith in him here. However, this is very telling of how poor our defense is... That needs to be addressed badly. 

Yes, he can. People are gonna turn on him the next time he has a bad game though, and he will have one eventually. But Miller did this all the time in Buffalo, I have faith in him here. However, this is very telling of how poor our defense is... That needs to be addressed badly. 

I hope not HC20.0. I like to think this fan base is a mature and knowledgeable  fan base. Granted the kid we traded was a fan fav and many were disappointing seeing him gone to CAR but I think it's time to embrace MiIler. The fan base recognizes that, hence this thread. 

I hope not HC20.0. I like to think this fan base is a mature and knowledgeable  fan base. Granted the kid we traded was a fan fav and many were disappointing seeing him gone to CAR but I think it's time to embrace MiIler. The fan base recognizes that, hence this thread. 

I agree.  I was a huge Lack supporter, but he is gone and Miller is our goalie.  He has my full support!

CDC demonstrates their maturity real well. :rolleyes:

To be honest, I think the negative people just stand out like a sore thumb more and feel more of a desire to make threads about it to complain.... lol6

I see absolutely no reason why he can't as long as he stays healthy this year. Markstrom just needs 20-24 games minimum at strategic times to give Miller some good stretches of rest, like multiple 4+ days off throughout the year.

Miller is a great goaltender right now, just like he was when he signed here.

yup.  And it sounds like Miller is an honest team player too.  He will tell WD when he needs a break, and he's honest about it.  To me that shows Miller puts the team ahead of his PT

Without a doubt. People are looking at the Canucks D, and are questioning if Miller can continue his hot streak that he showed for many years before being bounced around teams.

The Canucks have allowed more shots on goal than any other team. Problem? Not for Miller, who made a living saving an average of 34.7 shots per net in his time in Buffalo. The results? The improbable run in the playoffs until they met Carolina, many playoff appearances, a Vezina trophy, and was widely regarded as a top 3 goalie.

When he moved to St. Louis, he played with a great D and didn't get many shots on him - that's not his game. As a goalie, Miller is the Class A example of a player that is so fundamentally sound and when he gets 30+ shots on him he's a brick wall.

Can he keep it up Nucks fans? Conversely, if he does keep it up, do we play Markstrom much? Is it very important to develop him this year?

1) The Canucks are 12th in SApG at 28.8 - so no they aren't allowing the most shots on average.

2) His numbers are already dropping off to similar levels as last year; however, the team is to blame as a whole. The late breakdowns and blown leads the past 7 games have hit his save pct hard going from .931 to just over .900

So just looking at these things I think we can say that his play can continue at the overall level we've seen so far. 

Don't know where this team would be without him.

Vancouver.;)

Correct!

I'll reserve judgement as he was off to a hot start last season as well.  I've been a big Lack supporter on these boards, but I have to say that Miller is playing great.  Last season Miller was very inconsistent with a shutout one game and getting pulled in the next.  This season so far he has been very consistent!   Our 2 losses were by a single goal and he has kept us in many games we didn't deserve to be in.  My hope is this is the Miller we get all season.  But only time will tell.  Go Miller the Pillar! 

His stats were also heavily deflated by a few first half season games where he was pulled. Aside from those off nights he was overall solid all year, despite in a new conference with a new defensive core and a new coach and a new team that was coming off a nightmare season. I know you are not supposed to remove games from stats, but anomalous nights can skew stats to paint misleading pictures, such as that he was subpar most of the year. He didn't have a large amount of bad nights, but there were enough really early pulls to tank his stats early in the year.

Honestly, before the season began I predicted his stats would be even worse this season and that Marky would take over (I forgot to post the rest of my predictions in the time capsule, but I'm man enough not to lie about them), but it seems so far I'm wrong. The team is so far outperforming my expectations, and so is Miller by regaining his form, and you will see no complaints from me!

Archived