The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Can Ryan Miller continue his Elite play?

Sedin Brothers

no reason why miller cant keep up his play his knee looks fully healed from last yr.  Once  markstrom is back from a conditioning stint we wont need to burn out miller that way miller will be fresh  for playoffs. If benning upgrades our defense at deadline  with a top four right handed dman we will give up less shots against. 

no reason why miller cant keep up his play his knee looks fully healed from last yr.  Once  markstrom is back from a conditioning stint we wont need to burn out miller that way miller will be fresh  for playoffs. If benning upgrades our defense at deadline  with a top four right handed dman we will give up less shots against. 

Yup. games played will be a big factor. Hopefully Markstrom is up to it.

WE can only hope Travella  : )

I see him normailzing to a .915, maybe .920 save %. In the upper half of starting goaltenders. 

He, and the defense, (mainly Edler, Tanev, and Hutton) have looked better than I anticipated so far. Some upgrades on the middle are helping too. (Sutter, McCann in and Vey, Bonino out)

Yes, but only if he gets more time off to recover.

Anyone who has been at athletic into their late '30s understands the body just does not heal as fast when you hit 35.

Small strains which a younger body would shrug off turn into serious injuries when they are not given time to recover.

Miller had the whole summer to get himself back into fighting shape, that is why he has played so well to start the season. 

But he needs to have his backup spell him out at regular intervals... personally I think 2 games for Miller, 1 game for his backup is the best ratio.  He shouldn't play more than 55 games this year.

I don't think this is just another hot start, only to be followed by more mediocre numbers. I think Miller is actually playing better this season. He seems more comfortable, more confident, and frankly more competent. And that's spectacular!

But as always, any goalie's stats are not entirely in their control. The team in front of Miller will have a great deal of impact on his stats, possibly as much as his own play. Simply put, if they want Miller to keep looking good the team needs to keep helping him have the opportunity.

I wouldn't imagine so. Miller is only facing an average of 28.55 shots per game. Currently only 10 teams give up fewer shots on average than we do. It seems like our D is currently doing a good job keeping shots to a normal amount. Any less would actually likely hurt Miller's stats as the number of goals scored would likely remain relatively the same but with fewer saves to bolster his SV%.

(Fun fact: Both Buffalo and Carolina are among the teams giving up an average of fewer shots against per game than Vancouver. Both have lost more games than they have won and both have given up at least 7 more goals than Vancouver in the same number of games played. Fewer shots don't necessarily equate with better defense, or vice versa.

Bonus fun fact: Only 5 teams have allowed fewer goals against than Vancouver. That's a major improvement, thus far at least, over last season when we were 12th in the league for the most number of goals against.)

Archived