The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dispelling six myths about Sven Baertschi - Pass it to Bulis

Zuongo

http://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bulis/dispelling-six-myths-about-sven-baertschi-1.2102909?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Interesting read. I realize the majority of this forum dislikes Sven, but thought articles like this highlighting what 'good' attributes he brings could be worthwhile to share.

....And why he might not be as bad as what you make him out to be. 

I don't mind if he slips under the radar, as long as the coach trusts him and he is actually playing well, regardless of what fans see. I can see him developing into the kind of player who puts up 40-50 points without ever being that noticeable on the ice, because of his style. He could be one of those players whose value isn't readily apparent until they aren't playing.

There is no way he passes waivers. He lit up in Utica and then had an excellent preseason. Now in the NHL he has only put up 4 helpers, but has also contributed an excellent corsi and possession game. Besides, he is making the team better by playing for us. Chris Higgins probably wouldn't be any more exciting, while only being slightly better defensively and also a weaker possession player.

He has played well enough so far to earn him more than a measly 12 games. You don't give up on a player who is improving, plays a strong possession game, and is generating chances only 12 games into his first season with your team. That's idiotic asset management.

If developed properly and deployed against the right competition during his development he will be come a star, as he obviously has the skill.

He's getting better, and that's all the fans can should be concerned about.

We have to realize that it's a team game, it's a long season, and we're all in this together.  So relax.

Wished we'd gotten to see him in playoffs more..ie when the chips are down so to speak.Then we'd get a better read on his compete level. That being said I'd rather have Cracknell's toughness in the playoffs

We need the right mix in the playoffs..I think him Vrbata, McCann, and the Sedin's are 5 skill guys  and I think Baers is a bit more expendable to the other 4. Unless he really racks up the points and shows us we can trust him to help us score..I think even Gaunce has more net presence than Baers.

But  his upside is still good.

A few critiques on the article:

1.  Possession is a team metric, not an individual one, and corsi isn't a really good measure of individual possession, even if you want to do it.  Especially with a few amount of games.  Bearcheese is a good passer and playmaker though, and you can tell that right away.

2.  I've said before that top-6 and bottom-6 should be eliminated and we should run a 4-line team.  WD would ultimately prefer that, but reality is that we cannot play all forwards equally as of yet.  As for Bearcheese, as well as the rest of our younger forwards, it isn't about top-6 or bottom-6, it's about deploying them in situations that give them the most success.  WD has been doing this well so far as Canucks coach.

3.  Winning puck battles is vital to the game of hockey.  If you don't win them, you don't get possession or hold it.  There are many ways to win puck battles though, and Bearcheese so far hasn't fared well in strength and balance battles, but has made high iq plays effectively.  I think Bearcheese should focus on his strengths and develop his stick checking skills and reduce his decision making time.  This will make him a more effective 2-way player in more of a current Detroit-style mold, which is highly -regarded here.

4.  Sheltering is another term for proper deployment.  If WD isn't deploying his players correctly, then he isn't doing his job.  By no means should this be used for or against Bearcheese.  All teams need to do this and all players, especially the younger ones, are impacted by it.

5.  I think Bearcheese is being handled by WD better this season than Vey was last season.  He's had to earn his role, while Vey was gift-wrapped his at the start.  The question is if Bearcheese improves with us, and so far he has.  All we can do is hope that continues.

6.  There is a fairly good chance that Bearcheese would clear waivers, so Tony G might be right, but by no means should the Canucks put him on waivers.  The NHL needs all the talent it can get to keep the game as entertaining as possible, so that means Bearcheese needs to be developed as expertly as possible in the NHL. 

These are minor, but valid, critiques.  There's nothing wrong with the article overall, but I felt that some things needed to be cleared up. 

Bearcheese will hopefully become a great NHLer one day.  The Canucks will be a big part of that process I believe.

Teams need a mix of skill and grit. He brings more of the former and is still young. People here lack patience and have trouble grasping that not every player is going to be a physical grinder.

He's got plenty of time to get 'Sedin toughness' in his game, but he's never going to be... say Bertuzzi

I for one have been disappointed in Sven thus far. I think he has all the tools to be an effective player but he seems to be scared of getting loose pucks and when he does have it he is capable of making a nice play but seems to force the puck a little to often.  He seems to lack that shiftiness and vision that Pat Kane or Johnny Hockey have (undersized playmakers) to make incredible plays with such little room. The speed is there, the hands are there, I just don't see that extra gear in him that will elevate him to an effective everyday top 6 forward. I hope I'm wrong.

6.  There is a fairly good chance that Bearcheese would clear waivers, so Tony G might be right, but by no means should the Canucks put him on waivers.  The NHL needs all the talent it can get to keep the game as entertaining as possible, so that means Bearcheese needs to be developed as expertly as possible in the NHL. 

Difficult to make direct comparisons between forward/defenceman but if FC didn't make it through waivers I don't see why people think SB would.   

Understandable and I agree, that simple saucer pass in tight last night was nice to see. He did just turn 23 so I'll be patient, he has as much upside as the likes of Palat, Tatar, Toffoli, Hoffman, Craig Smith, etc. have shown so far in their young careers. 

No way you give up on Baer at this point, when he is playing well.  This sheltered minutes term is a moot point. This is called proper deployment knowing your players' strengths and weaknesses.  You deploy a defensive player in the D-zone and offensive player in the O-zone more, doesn't make either any less valuable. 

I like Sven.

A little softer than I'd like him to be, but all the offensive tools are there.

Sven, and McCann, appear only behind the Twins in capacity to handle the puck.  Does he get knocked off the puck from time to time?

Sure. He'll improve there. He adds an element we did not have last year behind the first line.

i think he's also doing and looking better now playing with Hansen on his opposite wing. The key Is there is a heavy fore checker on every line. Let Sven handle the puck not the guy who has to retrieve it.

Sven just happens to be more of a project than anyone else on the roster - which is not a big deal (someone has to be).   The team can afford to take their time with him, shelter him and use other players when they see fit -  they have the depth of forwards (and young forward) assets - and whether or not Baertschi turns out and reaches his potential the team will be fine.

The idea that he is 'driving possession' however is a real stretch.  Wagner is overstating that and underplaying his situational / in context usage - doesn't appear to have much of a grasp of underlying numbers.

Baertschi's corsi on is +3.11 playing the softest minutes on the team.  That's not really very impressive / 'play driving' - and the eye test confirms it.   He's also playing with very strong two way wingers who inflate his possession numbers when they share those soft minutes with him.   Baertschi has been the quietest presence on the team - but that's ok.  Expecting him to 'drive possession' at this point is not very realistic, and his game without the puck is simply not strong enough to do so.

The criticisms of Baertschi may be too strong and not that fair, but Wagner's counterpoint isn't entirely on balance either.

May be soft but he's got some skill and can complement a tough guy like Horvat quite nicely. I like that line of Hansen, Horvat and Baertschi - very nice 3rd line and hopefully they can have some more success. When Higgins comes back I wouldn't mind seeing Baertschi play with him though.

Archived