The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Justin Trudeau Sworn In As Canada's 23rd Prime Minister

DonLever

Trudeau publicly promised that his Cabinet would be 50% men, 50% women. That means he chose by gender, not qualification. 

I don't see a huge issue with it. More than one person can be qualified to do a job and there's something to be said for equal representation...

Hey that's great, the libertarians.  Awesome thumbs up.  Plus 1 to you

This is a thread about the swearing in of THE GOVERNMENT OF CANADA not the fringe party coalition of never wills.

If you've an issue with who he chose and why please do discuss it more than simply a broad  blah blah gender equality is wrong 50/50 blah blah blah.

If you look at the credentials of who he chose and then figure out the why you'll see by and large his cabinet is actually quite a shade more qualified for their positions than the last decade of governance has been, and that includes both genders

Edit** here's a link to the full list.  Check the qualifications of those posted before passing such judgement.

As well and please do understand the reason i am asking, what IF the Libertarian party had formed government.  Please do let us know who would be sitting in cabinet and how qualified they'd be in comparison to those chosen today 

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/full-list-of-justin-trudeau-s-cabinet-1.3300699

No.  It doesn't.

Yes, it does...

No it doesn't.

Yes, it does...

I don't see a huge issue with it. More than one person can be qualified to do a job and there's something to be said for equal representation...

I am not saying the people he appointed are not qualified...I am saying there likely was some gender based discrimination against the people who were the MOST qualified. Every male you hire you have to hire one female. So say hypothetically the first 15 people hired were all the same gender, males or females - then that means out of the remaining 15, even if you're the most qualified, you could simply be ruled out by gender... which is obviously sexist. Sure he could've miraculously ended up with a 50/50 split, but likely some people were excluded to reach that perfect 1:1 XX:XY ratio. 

This is a thread about the swearing in of THE GOVERNMENT OF CANADA not the fringe party coalition of never wills.

Yes, the next band of thieves and robbers setting up shop.

If you've an issue with who he chose and why please do discuss it more than simply a broad  blah blah gender equality is wrong 50/50 blah blah blah.

What I am saying is when choosing a Cabinet, gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, regional identification or whatever one chooses should not be an issue or come into account. It should be based on merit...

If you look at the credentials of who he chose and then figure out the why you'll see by and large his cabinet is actually quite a shade more qualified for their positions than the last decade of governance has been, and that includes both genders

I would agree with you on this point, but it still doesn't mean that this group of 30 are qualified to "govern" over the personal lives of 35 million individuals in this patch of political geography.

Yes, it does...

Yes, it does...

I am not saying the people he appointed are not qualified...I am saying there likely was some gender based discrimination against the people who were the MOST qualified. Every male you hire you have to hire one female. So say hypothetically the first 15 people hired were all the same gender, males or females - then that means out of the remaining 15, even if you're the most qualified, you could simply be ruled out by gender... which is obviously sexist. Sure he could've miraculously ended up with a 50/50 split, but likely some people were excluded to reach that perfect 1:1 XX:XY ratio.  

it's a government job after all, not science, aerospace, medicine
. It doesn't take lot of training to be a public official. There are tons of qualified people to do that, and having gender equality when majority of college graduates in Canada are women doesn't bother me.

From what I've heard the criteria for picking cabinet ministers has always been fairly arbitrary and only loosely based on merit. It's not like other industries where there is an objective way to measure one's experience easily.  I'm sure some very qualified men and women would have been left off of this cabinet for completely arbitrary reasons, regardless of whether there was a quota or not.  It's not like hockey where you can measure someone's stats and objectively pick one player over another.  

"What I am saying is when choosing a Cabinet, gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, regional identification or whatever one chooses should not be an issue or come into account. It should be based on merit..."

Keeping in mind that all of the above can also mean more qualified for a job.

Our new defense minister is badass

col-sajjan-4.jpg

Sajjan was born in India, and his family immigrated to Canada when he was five years old. He grew up in Vancouver. Sajjan initially worked as an officer for the Vancouver Police Department. In 1989, he enlisted in the Canadian Army's Primary Reserve, and eventually joined the Army on a full-time basis. He deployed overseas four times in the course of his career: once to Bosnia, and three times to Afghanistan. In 2011, he became the first Sikh to command a Canadian Army regiment when he was named commander of the The British Columbia Regiment (Duke of Connaught's Own).[6][7]

this man has a legitimate beard.

this is no hipster.

Yes, the next band of thieves and robbers setting up shop.

What I am saying is when choosing a Cabinet, gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, regional identification or whatever one chooses should not be an issue or come into account. It should be based on merit...

I would agree with you on this point, but it still doesn't mean that this group of 30 are qualified to "govern" over the personal lives of 35 million individuals in this patch of political geography.

How do you know it isn't already based on merit? You're so quick to make an accusation but then you rely on conjecture to make it (which is something you can't control because none of us know how Trudeau actually handpicked the people)

The number 30 was probably chosen to make a nice round number, like 20. In addition, the positions themselves were not determined by gender.

In the real world, getting hired is pretty arbitrary. You could be the right person at the right time - but not necessarily 'the most qualified ever'. 

To say that Trudeau was being 'sexist' is the wrong word to use. Every gender almost always has someone that can represent a specific area.

I'm sure the Sikh guy who is now Minister of Defense may not necessarily be the most decorated, but it's a great choice, given the fact that his credentials seem to indicate that he'd know his role better than most. The fact that he's a different ethnic is a bonus.

Are you gonna say that Trudeau is being racist too for selecting a Sikh? That's how off-base your comments are.

The point is that many very qualified female MPs may have been deprived Cabinet posts because of his policy.

Why should a less qualified man get a job because he is a male simply to fill a gender quota?

And you think Tim Moen is qualified to run a country based on this campaign quote?

LPC-poster-for-Fort-McMurray-Athabasca.j

And you think Tim Moen is qualified to run a country based on this campaign quote?

Yes, because he want to devolve power back to the level of the individual because libertarians think you alone are the one most qualified to govern yourself.

How do you know it isn't already based on merit? You're so quick to make an accusation but then you rely on conjecture to make it (which is something you can't control because none of us know how Trudeau actually handpicked the people)

Because this is politics.

I'm sure the Sikh guy who is now Minister of Defense may not necessarily be the most decorated, but it's a great choice, given the fact that his credentials seem to indicate that he'd know his role better than most. The fact that he's a different ethnic is a bonus.

Are you gonna say that Trudeau is being racist too for selecting a Sikh? That's how off-base your comments are.

He ticks many political boxes...

1.) He's a foreign-born immigrant,  which is an important demographic perspective to have represented in Cabinet
2.) He's a visible ethnic minority...

3.) ...from a unique religious minority.

I like that because it's a bold response to all of the ugly xenophobic identity politics the Conservatives played this election. Although he isn't Muslim, it's  big move.

4.) He's not only is a Cabinet Minister from Western Canada, but also from the third city, Vancouver...which is a Liberal island in a provincial sea of Conservatives...aka regionalism

5.) As for the fact that he volunteered to be deployed on 4 separate combat operations, I don't know his views to judge what his geopolitical opinions are...being a Liberal I'll place a bet on being dovish, even though he was a commissioned officer and rising to become the CO of his regiment, being a combat veteran is no guarantee of being more or less gung-ho about using military action...  

Personally this was the highlight for me today:

Canada's Environment Minister Is Now Minister of Environment and Climate Change

November 4, 2015 // 03:30 PM EST

Canada's new Prime Minister Justin Trudeau was literally sworn in today, and already he's shaking things up. His new cabinet, announced Wednesday morning, is 50 percent women. Oh, and the government's Ministry of Environment is now the Ministry of Environment and Climate Change.

Considering how little the previous government appeared to care about climate, the change is a pretty big deal.

Prime Minister Trudeau announced both the cabinet positions and title change at an event in Ottawa, and appointed Ottawa Centre Member of Parliament Catherine McKenna to the new Climate Minister role.

That Canada now has a Ministry of Environment and Climate Change is a clear sign the new government doesn't plan to follow in the footsteps of its predecessor, which cut funding for environmental research, and was notorious for censoring scientists and scientific research.

McKenna has a busy few weeks ahead of her; she will be leading the Trudeau government's delegation to Paris for the 2015 United Nations Climate Change Conference, which kicks off at the end of month.

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/canada-new-trudeau-cabinet-minister-of-environment-and-climate-change

Why not make the cabinet 50% heterosexual and 50% homosexual?  

Or 25% hetero, 25% homo, 25% bi, 25% trans?  It's 2015.  

Because homosexuals, etc, do not account for 25%/50% of the population.

Conservatives will complain about all the minorities and women in there. Oh well. Cons will con.

Archived