The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Justin Trudeau Sworn In As Canada's 23rd Prime Minister

DonLever

Who knew that judging someone by their character and not by trivial physical characteristic would be non-PC. 

who knew that things like disabilities, cultural/race affiliations, gender, etc. are "trivial"? 

If a male MP was more qualified for a position, but was overlooked due to his gender.... that's a step backwards in equality, but apparently a step forward for political correctness. 

equality does not exist - and the pursuit of it undoubtedly requires "systemic manipulation." there is a such thing as positive discrimination -- have you ever heard of employment equity? or affirmative action? these are fundamental elements of almost every developed society--even capitalist ones which celebrate the individual before the community--and they are COMPLETELY antithetical to equality in the literal sense. it's inequality to PROMOTE balance and equality

don't be afraid of the 'political correctness' boogeyman

I personally can care less about race, gender, sexual orientation, etc.  I just want the best people to be the one in charge. Whether it ends up as cabinet being all women because they're the most qualified and experienced people around, or just all old white dudes... whoever is best for the job should get the job. 

are you implying that people in charge DO NOT want the best people beside them? and that they are willing to overlook shortcomings in exchange for, what, tokenism? if that isn't the implication, then i'm really confused about what your point is

has it occurred to you that maybe being a woman or being a person of (whatever) ethnicity is part of what makes the individual 'best' for the jobs in question? i mean, it's not like these appointments are just like ghetto youth and nursing students being placed in the senate... they all seem highly qualified and experienced in their fields, as far as i have seen. and besides, your estimation of what makes someone qualified to be considered 'the best' is never quantified. and that makes sense, because that would be very difficult to do considering this is a discussion based on POLITICS and GOVERNING, not a 100m dash. 

In other news, the interim leader of the official opposition is a woman.  Is this a first in Canada?

Nope. Just recently the interim leader of the Ndp was a woman. She lost her riding however in this election. We have also had a female PM although it was only for a short time after Mulroney stepped down.

1st thing this douche does is expand government reach by bringing back long form census to pry into your life.

Did you even know the purpose of the census?

Unlike Harper, this government wants to plan action based on facts, not on ideologies or beliefs. If a government does't even know the basic demographics of its citizens, how can they pretend to be serving them properly?

I remember when the Greens were irrelevant...

Making gains is always a good thing. At least the party is gaining not declining like the ndp.

The Greens are still pretty irrelevant. One trip to Paris because Trudeau is a nice guy doesn't mean anything.

And if the Liberts get more votes they will be at the cost of the Cons. When Cons con hard, they go liberts.

Did you even know the purpose of the census?

Unlike Harper, this government wants to plan action based on facts, not on ideologies or beliefs. If a government does't even know the basic demographics of its citizens, how can they pretend to be serving them properly?

There is a legal threat that comes with that census form...

It's the only way people will fill it out.

The "threat" isn't that bad. A small fine at worst.

It's enough to get 90% of citizens to fill it out though.

See, $h!t like this is exactly why libertarians dislike the idea of government so much...in order to achieve their goals they will use some sort of force to coerce you into complying, failure to do so will result in punitive action taken.

Whereas in a market environment, one is given an incentive to part with their personal information...just look at the success of Google and Facebook with all the information they can get without ever resorting to using any form of violent action!

See, $h!t like this is exactly why libertarians dislike the idea of government so much...in order to achieve their goals they will use some sort of force to coerce you into complying, failure to do so will result in punitive action taken.

Whereas in a market environment, one is given an incentive to part with their personal information...just look at the success of Google and Facebook with all the information they can get without ever resorting to using any form of violent action!

What incentive do you suggest? It can't be monetary, which is the only thing that would likely work.

Clearly having the government be able to do it's job better is not enough incentive.

Just checking in on this, still boggled how you don't see the difference between public/private.

And weird that you're all 'look how great the libertarian party did' when I thought you hated government...?

It's the only way people will fill it out.

The "threat" isn't that bad. A small fine at worst.

It's enough to get 90% of citizens to fill it out though.

But the fact you are forced to or face punishment isn't exactly a good idea. Its like Australia forcing people to vote or potentially giving them tickets if they don't. Not very democratic or free. Know what I'm saying?

Just checking in on this, still boggled how you don't see the difference between public/private.

Still boggled how you don't see the difference between forced/voluntary,

And weird that you're all 'look how great the libertarian party did' when I thought you hated government...?

There is an inverse correlation between the size of government and how much I hate it...if the government is small enough, there come a point where it is not worth hating anymore and just live with it, and the Libertarian Party gives a good idea of the amount of government I am willing to tolerate.

Still boggled how you don't see the difference between forced/voluntary,

There is an inverse correlation between the size of government and how much I hate it...if the government is small enough, there come a point where it is not worth hating anymore and just live with it, and the Libertarian Party gives a good idea of the amount of government I am willing to tolerate.

I get it, I'm just ok with being required to do some things in order to live in a relatively safe, civil society. Your dreamland is fantastic in theory, but it's just that.

But the fact you are forced to or face punishment isn't exactly a good idea. Its like Australia forcing people to vote or potentially giving them tickets if they don't. Not very democratic or free. Know what I'm saying?

Some things have to be enforced by law in order to create a society.

People should have the right to not vote, which they do. Filing out a census is more in line with doing your taxes. You can choose not to do it, but you're gonna face penalties.

Archived