The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Holy weak division Batman!

VIC_CITY

I remember when the NHL’s whole division structure changed. I thought how the hell are we going to make the playoffs with LA, SJ and Anaheim all in the same division? Plus those Oilers are bound to break out soon! Oh how things have changed (or stayed the same in Edmonton’s case).

I know we still have the majority of the season to play, but I can’t help but notice the way the Central is shaping up. A lot could change between now and the spring but with the way things are looking, the Central is going to be one hell of a dog fight.

So what does that mean for Vancouver? Well, if I was a betting man, I’d say that the chances of us grabbing a 7/8 seed could be pretty slim. At this point, only one team in the Central (Colorado) is under 500 and the defending Stanley Cup champs are sitting in 6th…check that…SIXTH PLACE in their division. Then you take a look at the Pacific division, where only two teams have records better than 500 and one of them (our Vancouver Canucks) owe a big thank you to everyone’s favorite “loser point”.

You’d have to think the divisions will somewhat balance out as the season continues. Calgary and Anaheim are far from last place teams. Heading into this season, Anaheim was considered a Stanley Cup favorite and after the year that Calgary had last year, plus the addition of Dougie Hamilton, they weren’t that far behind. In the Central division, we know Dallas has top end offensive punch but can their defense and goaltending keep this up? Can Winnipeg continue to build off last year and earn a playoff spot in 2016? In Minnesota, was Devin Dubnyk’s 2014/2015 season a fluke or will he come back with another Vezina caliber season?

A lot of questions are still left to be answered, but IMO the Canucks are going to have to beat one Californian team at the absolute minimum and more likely two if they have any hopes of making the playoffs. Of course I could be wrong. I could be jumping the gun since we’ve only played 13 games. Only time will tell…

Dallas
13103020104637+95-1-05-2-0-8-2-0Won 1

St. Louis
139311993631+54-1-15-2-0-7-2-1Won 1

Winnipeg
138411784035+53-2-15-2-0-6-3-1Won 1

Minnesota
117221673532+35-0-02-2-2-6-2-2OT 1

Nashville
117221653225+74-0-13-2-12-06-2-2Lost 1

Chicago
137511573332+16-1-11-4-0-5-4-1OT 1

Colorado
12471943336-32-4-12-3-0-3-6-1Won 1
 PacificGP W L OT P ROW GF GA Diff Home Away S/O L10 Streak

Los Angeles
128401682925+44-3-04-1-0-8-2-0Won 1

Vancouver
136341653829+92-3-34-0-11-04-3-3Lost 1

San Jose
126601253333E2-3-04-3-01-04-6-0Lost 1

Arizona
115511153032-21-3-04-2-1-4-5-1Lost 2

Edmonton
135801053641-53-4-02-4-0-5-5-0Won 1

Anaheim
12372821731-143-2-10-5-11-13-6-1Won 2

Calgary

I would agree with you about Anaheim, bit Calgary on the other hand is right where they should be.  A ton of comeback wins and games they wom last year they had no business winning.

Honestly, Calgary playing .250ish hockey is still pretty shocking.  Last year's team plus Doug Hamilton.  There's no way they should be below .500, which is still terrible.  It's damn near impossible to go 3-9-1 in today's NHL.  You have to almost be trying to lose.

Honestly, Calgary playing .250ish hockey is still pretty shocking.  Last year's team plus Doug Hamilton.  There's no way they should be below .500, which is still terrible.  It's damn near impossible to go 3-9-1 in today's NHL.  You have to almost be trying to lose.

They won a lot of games they shouldn't have last year. Poor puck possession team.

Sadly that ain't happening the way that Vancouver is playing now. We'll either just make the playoffs or get a draft pick just out of "blue chip" range (10-14).

And our historic picks in 10 - 14 place in 1st round are a mixed bag:

Cody Hodgson - 2008

Michael Grabner - 2006

Luc Bourdon - 2005

Brad Ference - 1997

Josh Holden - 1996

Mattias Ohlund - 1994

JJ Daigneault - 1984

Michel Petit - 1982

Garth Butcher - 1981

Richard Blight - 1975

Certainly more luck with the defensemen we picked (except Luc - what a loss he was, our "Hutton" of 10 years ago)

this. Chicago will have difficulty soon with kane and toews unless canadian dollar rebounds. 

I'm struggling to figure out what you mean by this comment. All NHL contracts are written in USD so the only differential there is in the NHL is at the Operating Budget level. And what with revenue sharing, again I don't think there's much difference in the USD/CND imbalance that affects how contracts are written in the NHL.

I'm struggling to figure out what you mean by this comment. All NHL contracts are written in USD so the only differential there is in the NHL is at the Operating Budget level. And what with revenue sharing, again I don't think there's much difference in the USD/CND imbalance that affects how contracts are written in the NHL.

if the Canadian dollar rebounds then the cap goes up as revenue sharing is in terms of USD if the dollar stays where it is at the will be little to no cap increase

I don't really agree with calling the Pacific a 'weak' division. It's more that it's a tight cluster of mediocre to dark horse contender teams.

Anaheim was the only true contender coming into the season, but they stumbled so hard out of the gate that it'll take them a long time to get back to sitting comfortably. Some would put LA in the true contender category, but imo that's based mostly on their success over the last few years. Beyond the fact that they missed the playoffs last year, their loss of depth players and the off-ice drama has had a serious effect. I'd consider them in the range of San Jose and Vancouver, bubble contenders. Some would argue Calgary is the same, but we're seeing their true colours now: absolutely mediocre. And Arizona and Edmonton seem to have finally turned the corner from being pushovers (remains to be seen how much the CM injury hurts the Oil).

Anyhow, my point is there's no real lightweights, and only one ~contender~. Contrast that with the Eastern divisions: the Metro has Philly, Carolina, NJ; the Atlantic has Toronto and Buffalo.

But yeah, the Central is a juggernaut and I'll be surprised if they don't take both the Western wildcards. Vancouver, San Jose and LA will be battling for #2 and #3 in the end is my prediction.

It must suck to be an Avalanche fan these days.

Canadians are largest market per capita by far. 

Canadian teams are most profitable. 

Canadian fans pay in cdn

Canadian teams subsidize poor US teams

league salaries are in usd

Archived