The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Markstrom, Gaunce and Biega assigned to Comets.

Ossi Vaananen

I'm not sure if this is right but I think when a player is on a conditioning stint they still count towards the 23 players so there is technically 3 goalies on the roster and would rather have a back up then a spare D.

14 + 3 + 6 = 23

Quote didn't show but this is to answer Ossi's question

With Gaunce going to Utica the Canucks have only 13 forwards. So, even counting Markstrom, they have only 22 players on the active roster and would have room for Biega (assuming Sbisa is on IR).

But they have the guys fhey need for Saturday morning and will, I assume, call up a D after than (maybe Biega, maybe Pedan).

With Gaunce going to Utica the Canucks have only 13 forwards. So, even counting Markstrom, they have only 22 players on the active roster and would have room for Biega (assuming Sbisa is on IR).

But they have the guys fhey need for Saturday morning and will, I assume, call up a D after than (maybe Biega, maybe Pedan).

Well I hope Higgins gets plugged into the mains 5 mins before taking the ice, because we can't afford another conditioning game, in the show. A huge blunder by JB.

Your right I accidentally included Prust when I was doing my math.

What sucks is that I think Gaunce has been more effective in the line up than Sven. Heck, he's even already had a goal.

Gaunce was effective; but in a very different way.  His goal was just a workmanlike goal with a friendly bounce & you cannot count on a ton of those. He's defensively responsible. He's big & wins board battles. He can take draws and is owrth noting he is left handed. Medium term I think that makes him a near perfect match to play on a line with Sutter, probably with Hansen on the other side? A near perfectly balanced match up line!

Baertschi on the other hand brings what none of those guys have: the dynamic ability handle and control the puck. What gets missed is his corsi % is positive even though his lines have not scored a lot. Because shooting %'s have been unsustainably low? The law of averages says that will turn around. We are handling the puck and playing in the offensive end a lot, Sven helps carry and maintain the puck into that end, when he is on the ice.

Sven is here to help the team score, which will happen, and Gaunce will be more so to prevent goals.  

I am still mystified at all the love Markstrom is getting here. To me he has still proven nothing at the NHL level and rushing him back into the lineup to play the second of back to back afternoon road games is, to me, foolhardy, especially considering that Bachman played well in his one and possibly only ever start as a Canuck and has a far better NHL record than Markstrom. Bachman will not play any more games for the Canucks unless we sustain a goalie injury no matter how good or bad Markstrom plays which I vehemently disagree with. I really wish my team was a meritocracy. 

What sucks is that I think Gaunce has been more effective in the line up than Sven. Heck, he's even already had a goal.

That's because you, like many, are blinded by shiny objects. Baertschi is the new whipping boy because he is viewed as being gifted opportunity while other apparently have to work harder than he does. Which is totally untrue but generally perception is considered reality so I get it. However, we all need to start supporting Baertschi a hell of a lot more. The guy still has untapped potential. So what if he is given every chance to succeed. If he doesn't tap into that potential, then he will be sent packing. There is precedent with Vey.

Well I hope Higgins gets plugged into the mains 5 mins before taking the ice, because we can't afford another conditioning game, in the show. A huge blunder by JB.

I don't know if it was a a blunder, but playing Higgens instantly brought the flavor of boring hockey back to the ice.   I'm thinking Higgens missed so much time, after being off all summer, he's lost a step because of his age. The youth has been served and Hansen is flying. That leave Higgens gonzo in my eyes.

I don't know if it was a a blunder, but playing Higgens instantly brought the flavor of boring hockey back to the ice.   I'm thinking Higgens missed so much time, after being off all summer, he's lost a step because of his age. The youth has been served and Hansen is flying. That leave Higgens gonzo in my eyes.

It's one game.....

Archived