The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Markstrom, Gaunce and Biega assigned to Comets.

Ossi Vaananen

I don't know if it was a a blunder, but playing Higgens instantly brought the flavor of boring hockey back to the ice.   I'm thinking Higgens missed so much time, after being off all summer, he's lost a step because of his age. The youth has been served and Hansen is flying. That leave Higgens gonzo in my eyes.

:rolleyes:

That's because you, like many, are blinded by shiny objects. Baertschi is the new whipping boy because he is viewed as being gifted opportunity while other apparently have to work harder than he does. Which is totally untrue but generally perception is considered reality so I get it. However, we all need to start supporting Baertschi a hell of a lot more. The guy still has untapped potential. So what if he is given every chance to succeed. If he doesn't tap into that potential, then he will be sent packing. There is precedent with Vey.

Well even if that was true, which imo it isn't, can you really say Gaunce hasn't worked his ass off for the kind of chance Baertschi and indeed Jake had handed to them?

Gaunce is blatantly a victim of his ability to pass waivers. 

Yes it was one game. So hes gonna play like last season when he's totally healed and up to speed? Big deal, make room for young guys on this team. Higgens is a boring hockey player.

I don't know if you've been watching lately, but McCann, Virtanen, Horvat, and Hutton have made the team. Why am I stating the obvious? Well, you seem to have forgotten in your post about it. We didn't sign Ricahrdson or Matthias. We traded away Bieksa and Kassian. We hardly signed anyone else.

Yet, because we have Higgins playing, we aren't making room for our youth? Despite everything we've done, are you saying we're all old and fat or something?

Why complain about one player when it's clear we're making strides to make room for our youth? Higgins may very well be gone next year with everything happening. Are you saying you don't have patience for 1 season?

I don't know if you've been watching lately, but McCann, Virtanen, Horvat, and Hutton have made the team. Why am I stating the obvious? Well, you seem to have forgotten in your post about it. We didn't sign Ricahrdson or Matthias. We traded away Bieksa and Kassian. We hardly signed anyone else.

Yet, because we have Higgins playing, we aren't making room for our youth? Despite everything we've done, are you saying we're all old and fat or something?

Why complain about one player when it's clear we're making strides to make room for our youth? Higgins may very well be gone next year with everything happening. Are you saying you don't have patience for 1 season?

No I can see why you think this. I think Higgens should go. He'll top out sooner than later and I think one of the younger guys will have to fight past Higgens ceiling. I'm saying they didn't go far enough and they should have gotten rid of Higgens or Hansen. They don't need two similar players, which I might add are not consistent finishers when counted on to be finishers.

Hansen is playing great. Higgens is a flat player at best for my money. I have patience for more change is what I"m saying.

No I can see why you think this. I think Higgens should go. He'll top out sooner than later and I think one of the younger guys will have to fight past Higgens ceiling. I'm saying they didn't go far enough and they should have gotten rid of Higgens or Hansen. They don't need two similar players, which I might add are not consistent finishers when counted on to be finishers.

Hansen is playing great. Higgens is a flat player at best for my money. I have patience for more change is what I"m saying.

It's all come down to contracts. Ricardson and Matthias' contracts expired over the summer. Higgins' did not. To be honest, I actually think it's amazing how far they've come until Benning in such a short amount of time. I think if we still had Gillis, we'd still have most of those players and less rookies in our lineup.

It's all come down to contracts. Ricardson and Matthias' contracts expired over the summer. Higgins' did not. To be honest, I actually think it's amazing how far they've come until Benning in such a short amount of time. I think if we still had Gillis, we'd still have most of those players and less rookies in our lineup.

I agree. I won't complain about the rookies we've got slotted. I really didn't think we'd have so many. I'm impressed with Willy on this.

Is Markstrom still deemed a rookie. My prediction before the season started was that Markstrom in the end would out shine Miller in goal. It's the only prediction I had and I'll stick to it. The rest of the newbies were hard to predict because they hadn't made the team yet.

Higgens contract allows for movement to certain teams but I think that a slippery slope on timing and need. You stated that Higgens contract was up next year?  I guess in retrospect the guy comes pretty cheep for a reliable vet. He's definitely got his skating up to speed from the first game. I still think he'll get moved at some point. The Islanders are deep at defense.

While I don't think he's considered a rookie by rookie standards (he's played more than 25 NHL games), he's still a rookie in my eyes. If he shines then great.. If not, then we still have Miller. It's nice at least to have 2 good goalies rather than having no good goalie. Hopefully Markstrom proves we have 2 good goalies.

Archived