The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Free Movement Proposed Between Canada, UK, Australia, New Zealand

TOMapleLaughs

Good idea?  I'm not sure.  Those other commonwealthers might come after our services.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/british-columbia/free-movement-proposed-between-canada-u-k-australia-new-zealand-1.2998105

When James Skinner moved from the United Kingdom to Australia, he fell in love with Melbourne, landed a great job, met a great group of friends, settled down in his new home — only to leave because permanent residency was much harder to obtain than he anticipated.  

Skinner, who now lives in Vancouver, says he fears the same experience could happen again.

"We are virtually the same people," he told The Early Edition's Rick Cluff, referring to countries within the Commonwealth.

"The only thing that divides us is the cover of our passports."

Skinner, who is the founder and executive director of the Commonwealth Freedom of Movement Organization, is calling on politicians in Canada, the U.K., Australia and New Zealand to loosen restrictions on visas and work permits between the four countries.

He says citizens within the European Union can work and reside indefinitely in each of the 28 member states, and a similar policy occurs between Australia and New Zealand.

There's no reason why something similar can't happen between Canada, the U.K., Australia and New Zealand, he argued.

"We've had that Commonwealth tie for generations and decades in the past, we've stuck together through thick and thin, [we] share the same head of state, the same native language, the same respect for the common law," he said.

"It's not something completely out there that we're proposing."

The Commonwealth Freedom of Movement Organization's petitionhas already gathered nearly 25,000 online signatures.

Skinner says he plans to send the petition to politicians in New Zealand and Australia, and then to the Canadian and British governments, pending elections in each respective country.

So... free movement for white people?

The commonwealth includes a lot of other countries. This is an arbitrary distinction based on race.

No free movement for anyone. Our government should be bringing in immigrants based on our actual employment needs. This is only after our government addresses our educational system and tailors it so to produce graduates that our economy needs.

So... free movement for white people?

The commonwealth includes a lot of other countries. This is an arbitrary distinction based on race.

No free movement for anyone. Our government should be bringing in immigrants based on our actual employment needs. This is only after our government addresses our educational system and tailors it so to produce graduates that our economy needs.

For people who speak the same language and have basically the same culture. Of any skin color I imagine. No need to get reactionary.

For people who speak the same language and have basically the same culture. Of any skin color I imagine. No need to get reactionary.

Ahh...so it's language? 

Here's a list of countries where English is the official language:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_territorial_entities_where_English_is_an_official_language

And by culture...you mean white people's culture. I'm not being reactionary. 

And quite frankly, we don't need any labourers from any of those countries. We have an excess of them as it is, and we should be limiting immigration from the UK, Australia, and New Zealand. Instead Canada should be training people here to do trades type jobs and importing people to do unskilled labour that no one here wants to do. Those are where the shortages are.

Ahh...so it's language? 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_territorial_entities_where_English_is_an_official_language

And quite frankly, we don't need any labourers from any of those countries. We have an excess of them as it is, and we should be limiting immigration from the UK, Australia, and New Zealand. Instead Canada should be training people here to do trades type jobs and importing people to do unskilled labour that no one here wants to do. Those are where the shortages are.

Your point is iirrelevant. The article is about joining these four countries for free movement. Nothing else.

Of the 53 commonwealth countries, only 24 primarily speak English. So to list every English speaking nation in the world is pretty ignorant.

Of those 24, only 9 have more than %30 of it's population speaking primarily English, and at %60 it goes down to about 6 or 7 as the exact numbers can't be estimated. The reason this number is so low is because many people of the small island colonies have or already had native languages beyond English.

So yes, your post was reactionary.

Your point is iirrelevant. The article is about joining these four countries for free movement. Nothing else.

Of the 53 commonwealth countries, only 24 primarily speak English. So to list every English speaking nation in the world is pretty ignorant.

Of those 24, only 9 have more than %30 of it's population speaking primarily English, and at %60 it goes down to about 6 or 7 as the exact numbers can't be estimated. The reason this number is so low is because many people of the small island colonies have or already had native languages beyond English.

So yes, your post was reactionary.

No...You're still pulling arbitrary stats. I also hate to remind you but Canada, New Zealand, and Australia already had "native languages" before English people showed up too. Here's a list of countries by proportion that speak English:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_English-speaking_population

It's all a moot point. We do not need a bunch of migrants from any of the UK, Australia, or NZ. As Electro Rock stated, allowing free movement from the UK would be an especially large disaster. I also don't understand why were using the arbitrary "commonwealth" membership as the primary factor for these new immigration policies. If anything, the trend has been for countries to move further away from ties with the commonwealth and diversify.

No...You're still pulling arbitrary stats. I also hate to remind you but Canada, New Zealand, and Australia already had "native languages" before English people showed up too. Here's a list of countries by proportion that speak English:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_English-speaking_population

It's all a moot point. We do not need a bunch of migrants from any of the UK, Australia, or NZ. As Electro Rock stated, allowing free movement from the UK would be an especially large disaster. I also don't understand why were using the arbitrary "commonwealth" membership as the primary factor for these new immigration policies. If anything, the trend has been for countries to move further away from ties with the commonwealth and diversify.

My point was the percentage of population speaking English, but putting aside that argument, I actually agree.

You should have just posted the bolded.

Ahh...so it's language? 

An official language is very different from being a nations first and pretty much only language. The list of countries are countries primarily by descendants of UK subjects. Don't be dense, its not a race thing.

I've had two working visas for the U.K., one for Australia, and one for New Zealand where I applied for permanent residency in attempt to relocate there with my wife.  She is a Canadian but has an Aussie passport.

i had no issue with applications for either country including the permanent residency.

There are policies in place, steps have to be taken in the process, and yes it's not always easy or fast.

having said all that. I disagree with opening things up more.  I feel that too many people find ways to abuse systems already. No need for more.

if you want to re locate do your due diligence.

and Canada needs to look out for Canada first.

I've had two working visas for the U.K., one for Australia, and one for New Zealand where I applied for permanent residency in attempt to relocate there with my wife.  She is a Canadian but has an Aussie passport.

i had no issue with applications for either country including the permanent residency.

There are policies in place, steps have to be taken in the process, and yes it's not always easy or fast.

having said all that. I disagree with opening things up more.  I feel that too many people find ways to abuse systems already. No need for more.

if you want to re locate do your due diligence.

and Canada needs to look out for Canada first.

Canada needs to make more babies.  We import people to keep our economy moving.  We are a consumer economy.  Our population needs to go up, and exponentially, or we are toast economically

Archived