The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Virtanen w/ the Sedins?

JibberishJones

Hey Guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster here - been scouring these boards since 2003 if my memory is correct! #TimeFlies

I realize this is a pretty hypothetical question, but I am curious what people would think of Virtanen skating beside the twins.

I'm not convinced Virtanen quite has the offensive zone structure/awareness in his game to be a finisher on that line just yet (or even know where to go), and maybe it is best for Vrbata to play alongside the twins, but it is an intriguing idea from the perspective of developing Virt's offensive game at the NHL level. They tried it in the preseason but I would like to see it again now that 'Big Country' has some more confidence etc.

OR what would people think about Virtanen taking Vrbata's spot on the first PP unit, inject some youth into that unit and maybe some hunger. He is right handed as well and we all know the damage a right handed player can do parked on that left side (i.e. Carter, Linden) and IMO Vrbata looks pretty lethargic on the PP.

Thoughts?

You explained why it would be a bad idea to put him with the Sedins but then you went ahead and proposed putting him on a line with the Sedins.  We're not going to sacrifice the season just to get him some extra points, Jake just doesn't have the smarts or experience to play with them, I don't see it working very well at all imo

Thanks for the summary of my post. The intention is not to sacrifice the season... that seems drastic. The idea is to further develop the offensive side of his game, I think a few shifts here or there could really help him along in gaining confidence with the puck in the offensive zone - I do not think this would leave our season in shambles...

Why didn't someone think of this sooner? (which of course they did and it's been suggested some time ago)

You don't just gift a player time with the Sedins because he's a top prospect. He doesn't play the same style.

So we gift the time to a weathered scorer, even though he isn't generating much in the way of anything? Hmm...

Did Burrows play the same style when he was first put with the twins? 

We tried it in preseason,  it didn't work. In a year or two this very well could be our first pp, but not now. 

Virt is effective because he goes full tilt, and plays a high energy game. That is not what the sedins do. They out last their opponents and take them down with superior patience and skill. 

We tried it in preseason,  it didn't work. In a year or two this very well could be our first pp, but not now. 

Virt is effective because he goes full tilt, and plays a high energy game. That is not what the sedins do. They out last their opponents and take them down with superior patience and skill. 

They tried it for one preseason game, is that normally enough of a sample size to draw conclusions on player chemistry? Again, did Burrows play that style when he was first put with the twins? No, he played a "full tilt" and "high energy" game. 

Burrows is still the only one who can play consistently well with the Sedins. Vrbata is too streaky in his play and doesn't forecheck hard enough.

If Vrbata is traded at the deadline, Burrows will be playing with the Sedins. Hopefully by that point Shinkaruk is ready to step into a scoring role. If not Jensen or Grenier should get a look.

Vrbata will find his scoring touch soon. Jake doesn't play the game the same way as the Sedins and I don't think it would be fair to burden a rookie with the production expectations of the first line. He's just not ready yet, and his hair is kinda "meh" too.

lol, I totally agree with you on the production burden, great point 

Your opinion about vrbata is also lethargic, and why the crap would you put Virt who's still a rookie and not really shown as much offensively into the 1st PP. 

How so? My opinion on Vrbata is based off of watching every minute of him on the PP and not looking 'into it' at all, he doesn't skate hard, he doesn't find his way to the open ice, he stays in the same spot and acts as a middle-man between Sedins. Also, if you actually read the post and comments, you would realize the second part of your post has been answered several times.

I maintain that the Sedins should have the say on their line mate, and seemingly Burrows has been the best fit over their career.  I would be excited to see Virt get some PP time with them in limited situations though, just to see.  He could certainly makes some space for them.

How so? My opinion on Vrbata is based off of watching every minute of him on the PP and not looking 'into it' at all, he doesn't skate hard, he doesn't find his way to the open ice, he stays in the same spot and acts as a middle-man between Sedins. Also, if you actually read the post and comments, you would realize the second part of your post has been answered several times

If it's just staying at the same spot, as you say of what vrbata is doing, then why not put Hansen, who had spent more time with the sedin than Virt. Vrbata is a smart player, or he wouldnt be with the sedins, and uses his teammates well, crucial to the power play, and him moving as much in the PP may not be the best decision.

As for virt, he's hockey smart is not there yet, and you know cycling is not his game. I dont believe he will improve our PP. So why not just let him get  his game more consistent and have more experience in the NHL.

Archived