The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Inquiry Time for Brent Burns?

And we're gonna run a team with what...14-15 players? I have a great idea...let's go with 2 aging first liners and a bunch of 3rd and 4th liners. If we're gonna chase a 5+mil player or 2 let's go for a couple of 1st liners to replace the Sedins in 2 yrs...just a thought. I don't think Burns is the answer...think more like Johansen, Turris or RNH at centre plus a winger like Eriksson or Lucic. 4 of the guys I just mentioned are hometowners...there's nothing like playing for the team you grew up idolizing huh? Makes the paycheque mean just a little bit more. :P

Rnh was a sens fan...

the guy isnt even worth 6 million that he makes this year. I do like Big Luc but he will handcuff a team. He will fade off fast in the next few years.

Lucic @ $7.000 MIL costs $1.000 MIL more and Vrbata's spot; a small price to pay.

Rnh was a sens fan...

That's all you got from my post? Didn't you also notice that I started a sentence with a numeric number 4 instead of spelling out "Four" which would have been grammatically correct?

Anyways, sarcasm aside, I'm hoping you got my point. Let's fill the gap left by GMMG and secure the next gen 1st liners while we wait on the current crop to mature (about 5-7 years). The only 18 to 20 year old players, that are ready this early on in their careers for NHL 1st line duties, were typically drafted in the top 2 or 3 spots...we don't have anyone like that. It takes time to mature a player into that type of workload, leadership and responsibility.

I like Burns, but he would be a replacement for Hamhuis, not the Sedins. Problem is, he's only 2 years younger. Same problem, if we're looking to replace our oldest defensive leader then think firstly Chris Tanev. He's quite far along in his development which has been a pleasant surprise. But internal replacement aside, think players like Justin Faulk...he is a future top pairing anchor.

Our problem right now doesn't seem to be our defense...so making a move for Burns would simply be fixing a problem we don't have. Our number 1 problem isn't this year, it's the next 3 years...we'll be a team without a true top line, and a Starting Goalie. Fix that first then we'll talk about propping up our D. I'd rather win games 6-5 than lose them 1-0.

Lucic will want a long term contract. If its 7 million for 2 or 3 years fine do it but I suspect Lucic will be looking for at least 5 years.

That's a 33 year old Lucic. That's two years old less than D. Sedin and H. Sedin and Miller's age and one year less than Burrows and Vrbata; all current Canucks vets firing on all cylinders in their twilight years.

D. SEDIN - $7.000 MIL
H. SEDIN - $7.000 MIL
MILLER - $6.00 MIL
BURROWS - $4.500 MIL
VRBATA - $5.000 MIL

At some point during the next five years, all of Daniel, Henrik, Miller, Burrows and Vrbata will be retiring. That's $24.500 MIL coming off the books. Plenty to re-sign our own core, who will enter their second contracts, and still have some left to bring in what is need at whatever time. I don't see a problem.

Get a pick for Vrbata at the deadline.

Re-sign Hamhuis. Three x $5 mill.

Trade Sbisa, Shinkaruk & First for Severson. (Overpayment sure, but get what you want!)

Sign Byfuglien in the off season?

- What would that take > four x $7.1???

Edler / Tanev

Hutton / Buff

Hamhuis / Severson

Pedan

Crazy!

Get a pick for Vrbata at the deadline.

Re-sign Hamhuis. Three x $5 mill.

Trade Sbisa, Shinkaruk & First for Severson. (Overpayment sure, but get what you want!)

Sign Byfuglien in the off season?

- What would that take > four x $7.1???

Edler / Tanev

Hutton / Buff

Hamhuis / Severson

Pedan

Crazy!

your note on Pedan had me search for something I wrote in the Utica/Prospect blog :

"Hate to say this,. But i am "old enough" to have watched a season of  Zedeno Chara playing for the Prince George Cougars of the WHL.  Mr Pedan seems to be progressively developing along that same lineage.. With a size, talent, and physical skill set to match.  Opportunity given to this young mans development will prove him to be just as talented with the gloves on,. As they are off. There is too much pressure by the general populus for young hockey players to be fully developed by the age of 21-22... When  really we dont acheive full physical and mental development untill 26-28.

patience with Pedan,. Pretty sure there is bright future for this one."

His game is starting to round out again, his numbers are up..  There is no question of this young mans toughness, just a matter of "when" his complete game arrives. I hope we get to see him around christmas,.  And see what happens to his game playing with some pro's who have his back covered, like he covers for in the "A"

That's all you got from my post? Didn't you also notice that I started a sentence with a numeric number 4 instead of spelling out "Four" which would have been grammatically correct?

Anyways, sarcasm aside, I'm hoping you got my point. Let's fill the gap left by GMMG and secure the next gen 1st liners while we wait on the current crop to mature (about 5-7 years). The only 18 to 20 year old players, that are ready this early on in their careers for NHL 1st line duties, were typically drafted in the top 2 or 3 spots...we don't have anyone like that. It takes time to mature a player into that type of workload, leadership and responsibility.

I like Burns, but he would be a replacement for Hamhuis, not the Sedins. Problem is, he's only 2 years younger. Same problem, if we're looking to replace our oldest defensive leader then think firstly Chris Tanev. He's quite far along in his development which has been a pleasant surprise. But internal replacement aside, think players like Justin Faulk...he is a future top pairing anchor.

Our problem right now doesn't seem to be our defense...so making a move for Burns would simply be fixing a problem we don't have. Our number 1 problem isn't this year, it's the next 3 years...we'll be a team without a true top line, and a Starting Goalie. Fix that first then we'll talk about propping up our D. I'd rather win games 6-5 than lose them 1-0.

your hockey sense is borderline stupid  thank god your not benning our defense is horrible  hamhuis cant score anymore and get hit in the corners and loses puck battles and makes look brent sooel look like bobby orr all while  eating 4.5 mill in cap  he has scored one goal in 90 games thats unacceptable, weber is soft gets bullied off puck constantly, 

edler, tanev, hutton are great and sbisa bartoski is a decent 3rd pairing 

we need a young mean offensive right hand dman  like pulock, morrissey or to draft one with the picks we get unloading a bunch of vets at trade deadline 

your hockey sense is borderline stupid  thank god your not benning our defense is horrible  hamhuis cant score anymore and get hit in the corners and loses puck battles and makes look brent sooel look like bobby orr all while  eating 4.5 mill in cap  he has scored one goal in 90 games thats unacceptable, weber is soft gets bullied off puck constantly, 

edler, tanev, hutton are great and sbisa bartoski is a decent 3rd pairing 

we need a young mean offensive right hand dman  like pulock, morrissey or to draft one with the picks we get unloading a bunch of vets at trade deadline 

And your social skills may also need improvement.

That aside, which of the following priorities (considering you can only address 2 of the 3 due to cap restraints - read contracts - that we will be under for the next 18 months) would you address first?

1/ Our defense next 2 years

2/ The gap in our first line next 2 years

3/ Our goaltending next 2 years

Again, I choose #2 + #3.

1/ Our defense has the likes of Tanev, Edler, Hutton and Sbisa to work with going forward. Is it the BEST D in the league? Hardly. Is it the WORST D in the league? Hardly

2/ No players worthy of first line duties and responsibilities. This is a serious gap left by GMMG trading away our future and mismanaging the potential for a deal that could have brought a future 1st line to the Canucks. Now we have to deal with it. Who's our 1st line in 2 years? Horvat, Virtanen, McCann, Baertschi? Can we trade the Sedins for a first line when they'll be over 35 and possibly considering retirement? Can we be guaranteed that a couple of 1st line studs will be available in the F/A market AND that they'll want to sign in Vancity? Too many IF's...IF you ask me. Needs to be addressed NOW.

3/ Goaltending. Where are we in 2 years? History has proven that Goaltenders take years to develop to the point where they'll actually be able to handle starter duties. Is Markstrom ready in 2 years? Will Demko be the answer? We need our future starter to be starting in the AHL right now, to be around 24 to 28 years old so he can carry the team for about 5 years while we develop Demko. What we truly need is a backup in the NHL and Markstron in the AHL taking starting reps this year...then splitting time with Miller next year, then taking over the following year. But I'm still skeptical that he is the longer term solution.

So my plan (from a guy who is apparently stupid) is:

1/ Secure the future 1st line (have them playing 2nd line minutes next year then swap with the Sedins).

2/ Secure our future in net

3/ In 2 years time, after Tanev, Hutton and Sbisa have developed, trade the Sedins (with only 1 year left) to a contender for some D-depth.

Again, I'm all in for a team that'll win games 6-5 versus one that will lose games 1-0. You need scoring depth to win games. And the W is all that matters...no matter the score.

your note on Pedan had me search for something I wrote in the Utica/Prospect blog :

"Hate to say this,. But i am "old enough" to have watched a season of  Zedeno Chara playing for the Prince George Cougars of the WHL.  Mr Pedan seems to be progressively developing along that same lineage.. With a size, talent, and physical skill set to match.  Opportunity given to this young mans development will prove him to be just as talented with the gloves on,. As they are off. There is too much pressure by the general populus for young hockey players to be fully developed by the age of 21-22... When  really we dont acheive full physical and mental development untill 26-28.

patience with Pedan,. Pretty sure there is bright future for this one."

His game is starting to round out again, his numbers are up..  There is no question of this young mans toughness, just a matter of "when" his complete game arrives. I hope we get to see him around christmas,.  And see what happens to his game playing with some pro's who have his back covered, like he covers for in the "A"

Absolutely agreed, I have watched Pedan for some time now and he has progressed very nicely, skating, IQ, such possession is getting better all the time. He has the size and toughness every team in the league would love to have and is just what we need on our blue line. Would love to see him in the lineup next year and I think he's on track for that.

Please do NOT sign Hamhuis, he has regressed for the last two years. Great guy, but it's time to trade him at the deadline.

Absolutely agreed, I have watched Pedan for some time now and he has progressed very nicely, skating, IQ, such possession is getting better all the time. He has the size and toughness every team in the league would love to have and is just what we need on our blue line. Would love to see him in the lineup next year and I think he's on track for that.

Please do NOT sign Hamhuis, he has regressed for the last two years. Great guy, but it's time to trade him at the deadline.

have to agree,  unfortunately, because we lack the size on D, Hamhuis becomes a bit of a target to pressure.

perhaps Hamhuis becomes one of 2-3 players to deal and make room for a Buff or Burns.  You just have to love the offensive upside of both big men,. They are a definite go-to durring playoffs for change in offensive tactics.

either player could even evolve their respective games in the Canuck organization.. There is a definite culture for fitness, health, and well being here.

...perhaps a mental spinoff of sorts for the players after all the charity time they put in with the sick and underprivedged..  That can be a humbling and inspiring experience.

would like to see a Dorsett, Prust, Pedan tangent to a game like the one in New Jersey.... our top lines would benefit from that presence... And sustain the confidence of the players developing.

hamhuis needs to go

And replaced with? Oh right, I forgot. You want Pulock or Morrissey (I got that from your post above). Just to clarify, you want an NHL Veteran defenceman to be replaced by Pulock or Morrissey, neither of whom have played a single NHL game let alone scored any points in the show? What happens if we trade Hammer and the rookies don't pan out? I 100% agree that this move would be a great move for the future, but this would leave us extremely short at D-Depth for the next couple of years at least. This move would make sense if we've decided to just blow it all up...but for this year I think I'll take Hamhuis.

And replaced with? Oh right, I forgot. You want Pulock or Morrissey (I got that from your post above). Just to clarify, you want an NHL Veteran defenceman to be replaced by Pulock or Morrissey, neither of whom have played a single NHL game let alone scored any points in the show? What happens if we trade Hammer and the rookies don't pan out? I 100% agree that this move would be a great move for the future, but this would leave us extremely short at D-Depth for the next couple of years at least. This move would make sense if we've decided to just blow it all up...but for this year I think I'll take Hamhuis.

just a few questions,.  Is Hamuis usually paired with Weber?

the reason i ask is because presently on the Nuck Site, Weber is a -6 and Hamuis a +5 (which i find very hard to believe).  As a matter of fact Weber is the only -minus D man. (This is hard to believe as well)

perhaps Hamhuis's poor play lately is due to pairing?

but you have to admit that Hamhuis is in the same situation that Bieksa was last year,. And to move him before the playoffs as an asset of depth to a club that has a chance to go deep into the playoffs?  ( in return we get cap space and possibly a prospect or 2nd round pick.

Archived