The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Seriously! Jim? Trevor? Willie? What is going on in your minds and behind the Canucks bench during games?

SuperReverb2

The bolded parts is a contradiction. The Oilers have been giving their kids regular shifts for years now. That is essentially throwing them to the wolves. Horvat did quite well last season on the fourth line and sheltered as Mccann is this year. Is Horvat doing as well this year with a regular shift against stiffer match ups? No. There's no need to rush the youngsters at this point. Patience.

Hutton is a 22 year old rookie that has been playing against men at college for several years. It's tougher to shelter d-men with only three pairings as opposed to four forward lines. But he's already earned trust with defensive play and puck movement. Be happy for him doing so well but don't translate that to others who are younger.

maybe, if we played the kids we would get Chychrun, so we would have even more top prospects?

maybe, if we played the kids we would get Chychrun, so we would have even more top prospects?

It's been said a thousand times but adding top prospect after top prospect has done wonders for the Oilers hasn't it? Sure, any time you add a Chychrun that's better than adding a Brisebois, but so far I'm liking the succession plan we're seeing from management. In the early parts of the season here a lot of CDC'ers are complaining about yute deployment but IMO as the season goes on we'll see their leashes extended similar to Horvat last year. At this rate, Mccann will see PP time at some point down the road and probably Virt too. I, for one, am mostly happy with the way the season's gone so far and I'd rather see us sink or swim this way than place the onus entirely on the youth and watch the season  (potentially) crash and burn. 

WD may be look a bit lost out there, but he is still having to integrate the awesome youth with the outgoing older pieces. 

Henrik, Daniel, Burrows, Edler, Hamhuis, Hansen, Higgins are on their way out over the next few years.

All have had great careers and served the Canucks well. However they are all on the downslope of their careers. At this point, none of the aforementioned players will play an integral role in bringing a Cup to this city. 

The Sedins will most likely be the only players from the previous core to retire Canucks. Purely because their contracts are unmoveable. 

Hutton f'ed up in today's game. For sure. But he's a rookie. It happens. Daniel's errant pass was a textbook rookie mistake, as well, except Daniel isn't a rookie. 

The chances of this team making past the first round of the playoffs is very slim. They have too many of the same pieces from the previous core that have failed to make the step into the next round. 

The bolded parts is a contradiction. The Oilers have been giving their kids regular shifts for years now. That is essentially throwing them to the wolves. Horvat did quite well last season on the fourth line and sheltered as Mccann is this year. Is Horvat doing as well this year with a regular shift against stiffer match ups? No. There's no need to rush the youngsters at this point. Patience.

Hutton is a 22 year old rookie that has been playing against men at college for several years. It's tougher to shelter d-men with only three pairings as opposed to four forward lines. But he's already earned trust with defensive play and puck movement. Be happy for him doing so well but don't translate that to others who are younger.

the oilers have been playing their kids regularly because that is essentially all they have had rostered, especially forward positions.

the two teams aren't really comparable. The oilers haven't had a core nearly equivalent to ours that they would be superseding without justification.

the nhl are the wolves and the oilers have no shepherds.

Miller and his Soft Goals we need to replace this Goalie seriously or get  him conditions NO QUESTIONS ASKED. Buffalo fans said thats why he is gone.

Are you on Crack?

He has been fantastic so far. Remember he has virtually played every game for us. 

It's not who we lost to, it's how we lost. An alarming trend is forming and it's plain to see. Needs to be rectified or at VERY least, a new mind set needs to be implemented by the coaching - management staff.

:(

I expected the loss, the very first shift after we tied the game up. And then we started to protect the point. Then we quit playing hockey. We stopped forcing shots on net. I expected the goal to be scored. We need to keep playing hockey, I don't care if your bench is a little shorter, But you can't change your approach. When you are not trying to score in a tie game...... We'll sure this will happen many more times this year.

WD may be look a bit lost out there, but he is still having to integrate the awesome youth with the outgoing older pieces. 

Henrik, Daniel, Burrows, Edler, Hamhuis, Hansen, Higgins are on their way out over the next few years.

All have had great careers and served the Canucks well. However they are all on the downslope of their careers. At this point, none of the aforementioned players will play an integral role in bringing a Cup to this city. 

The Sedins will most likely be the only players from the previous core to retire Canucks. Purely because their contracts are unmoveable. 

Hutton f'ed up in today's game. For sure. But he's a rookie. It happens. Daniel's errant pass was a textbook rookie mistake, as well, except Daniel isn't a rookie. 

The chances of this team making past the first round of the playoffs is very slim. They have too many of the same pieces from the previous core that have failed to make the step into the next round. 

I thought Burr was going to be traded in the past but now I think he is gonna stick around for the long haul as well.

When you are not trying to score in a tie game...... We'll sure this will happen many more times this year.

For sure they have to keep pressing. They don't have to take unnecessary risks late in games though.

Teams that win consistently are teams that capitalize on other teams mistakes.

It's been said a thousand times but adding top prospect after top prospect has done wonders for the Oilers hasn't it? Sure, any time you add a Chychrun that's better than adding a Brisebois, but so far I'm liking the succession plan we're seeing from management. In the early parts of the season here a lot of CDC'ers are complaining about yute deployment but IMO as the season goes on we'll see their leashes extended similar to Horvat last year. At this rate, Mccann will see PP time at some point down the road and probably Virt too. I, for one, am mostly happy with the way the season's gone so far and I'd rather see us sink or swim this way than place the onus entirely on the youth and watch the season  (potentially) crash and burn. 

Apples and oranges comparison. There is a difference between trusting young players with ice time at key points in close games and integrating them into key roles and throwing them in to be the core of the team.

We have the luxury of still having good veteran leadership on the team. They just can't play the game as well as they used to.

No one is asking the Canucks to go all youth. That assumption and the inevitable Oilers comparison are both way off the mark in terms of what people are actually suggesting the Canucks coach does.

McCann has shown that he deserves PP time now. I mean, what have the other players on the PP proven to deserve to stay there until some mythical point where Desjardins figures he can trust our leading goal scorer to provide offense on the PP? Those are the kind of low risk situations that can build a young players confidence. And the best teams reward their young players that are producing usually by putting them on the PP.

You said it... PAST!  They will be lucky to get to 60 points this year. Mark my words, and worst then that they will be under +5 for the entire season. They need to transition the Sedins to a second line asap, they're too slow, and they are terrible at back checking. Don't get me wrong i'm a huge fan of them but the team comes first.

Build a PP line with Horvat, Baertschi and Vrbata and they will out produce the Sedins. The back end needs to be Edler and McCann(unbelievable shot). Second PP unit, Sedins and Sutter(at least Sutter backchecks) and they get 40-45 seconds. The young guns will develop like crazy under those circumstances and we can all live with their mistakes.

Indeed. The only way we're going to win a cup with the Sedins is if they're the second line. However, that depends on the development of our younger guys more so than the Sedins. We were just #8 on the PP last year if I can remember correctly, so there's no rush to move them too quickly IMO on the man advantage especially. They still provide us with the best chance of winning as our top options and they've been successful doing so. So it'll depend on the development of guys like Horvat, McCann, Baertschi, and Virtanen completely to decide how ow fast we make that transition.

I do stand by my point however, that the Sedins are not getting overplayed in any regard, especially on the PP. they're being kept to just under 20 mins a game which is perfect, and as of now,  gives us the best chance to win.

Let's totally just rush our youth so that they run out of gas within the first year. Seriously op? Do you want your youth covered in chocolate while we're at it? I love how some people think there's some easy button to it all....

Man, if we lost 3-1 does that mean we need to blow up the entire team?

Because when they're winning games he's doing things that the fans have been calling for.

Like playing the rookies in the third, rolling four lines, and not overplaying the Sedins.

I think that if this team wasn't 0-4 in overtime he wouldn't have had the Sedins out in the last minute trying to go for it. He would have tried to secure the point first and then tried to go for it in overtime.

What are you even talking about. They're averaging like 10 mins a game. Win or lose. Bo got like 17 mins today.

Archived