The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion/ Proposal] Hamhuis to Chicago

Why Chicago does it:

Duncan Keith is on Long-Term Injured Reserve and will miss around 18 games, roughly a quarter of the season.  The Hawks' back end, while still having capable horses like Brent Seabrook and Nik Hjalmarsson, is looking dangerously thin as top fill-in options Trevor Daley, Trevor van Riemsdyk and David Rundblad aren't able to shoulder much of the minutes suddenly available, and no one can predict if any more of their guys will get injured.  With the group available now in their prime, it wouldn't be in the team's best interests to miss out on playoff contention (Hammer would make them much tougher to play against as he'd help their back end), but they are currently out of a playoff spot and risk sliding further with Duncan out.  Hammer can play around 20 minutes and plays the big-minute, stabilizing style the Hawks may need to weather this storm, plus the Hawks are loaded with young prospects, have cap space (even more with the injury) and thus can afford to make a major addition to patch this hole.  Other suggested fill-in candidates (from online media sources) include 39-year-old Lubomir Visnovsky, but who's to say that GM Bowman can't and doesn't want to do better than that?

Why Vancouver does it:

Not sure if his take on the matter has changed, but GM Benning has hinted that he would like to move on from the pending UFA D-man and veteran winger Radim Vrbata, and the best move would be to capitalize on a team with a need while acquiring an NHL-ready or near-ready asset (he's done so with Baertschi and Vey) so Dan doesn't leave for nothing.  As well, the team shouldn't be much worse for wear with the usual Edler - Tanev combination to lead the back end, as well as with the emergence of rookie Ben Hutton and other two-way D-men with potential to play similar roles (Sbisa, Bartkowski) as fill-in's.  The GM has also shown that he's unafraid to give important roles to rookies and put the team through a youth movement as he has, and a young defensive prospect could help the team continue its retool as more vets age out in upcoming seasons.

Vancouver can also look at the return that a cap-constrained Boston team got for then-pending UFA Johnny Boychuk (not the worst, two 2nd's and a 3rd) and know that they'll acquire assets to help themselves down the line, and it wouldn't be too much of a stretch for Benning to ask for someone like Ville Pokka, a right-hander with mobility and ability to create in transition, along with a couple of decent picks (two x 2nd's).  If Chicago continues to slide who's to say they won't be desperate to pony up assets such as these?  

What are peoples' thoughts on this?  Is this a reasonable proposal?  Did my proposal favor one side too much?
(PLEASE don't just talk about how teams won't trade with rivals or how one side won't do it without giving reasons.)

Discuss!  

I do hope they trade away Vrbata and Hamuis this year because this team needs more prospects; especially on defence; however, with this being said, I been a Canuck fan for far too long and I will not be surprised when management decides to keep Hamuis and Vrbata for a weak 9th place finish or a 1st round exit.

I would trade away Hamhuis but not Vrbata. Vrby is potentially going to be one of our top goal scorers this year, he also has great chemistry with the Sedins which is why the Sedins do better with Vrbata than everybody else. Vrbata plays a bigger role in this team than you think.

IF you trade away Hamhuis you better be damn sure Pedan, Sbisa or someone else can eat his minutes.

Vrbata is a lot easier to replace since this team is a score by committee type of team

And that answer is absolutely no! Especially not Pedan. Thats laughable but I gather thats your point.

If JB were to trade Hamhuis (or Vrbata), which I certainly support such decision on both counts, I'd much rather get a 1st rounder for each in the 2016 draft and we get to choose the Dman we want to draft. If Chicago are willing to pony up a 1st for Hamhuis then I'd be happy to take it off their hands.

Well for as long as the Canucks remain in the playoff picture don't count on them trading a top 4 dman and top 6 scoring winger. The Canucks really need to be out of it come trade deadline for these trades to happen. I cringe thinking about the Canucks being in the hunt keeping both these guys missing the playoffs and losing both of them in free agency. I like most people would rather see both traded for 1rst round picks than lose them for nothing.

I would take the very first offer for Hamhuis that involves a 1st round pick. Same for Vrbata.

Don't care where they are going, or where the Canucks are in the standings at the time.  

could it be a second from a team that is crappy?  That's like a first?

I like your Scriptural quotes, keep preaching it!

Hammer, I feel, belongs here in Vancouver to play out his career. He's a BC-born player, not to mention a brother of yours.

For all he is worth, he is still a reliable defender and team leader, one of a few guys in the locker room with true character. the blueline around him is getting thin, but he is one of those guys who will stay true to the end - like Shane Doan in Arizona or Linden here in Vancouver. I would anything but give up and trade this guy, except if he's in his last season and must be shipped to a Cup contender. Hammer's got a few more good years.

I would however trade off Vrbata who not only is in his last year, is seen to be terribly unreliable defensively.

I like your Scriptural quotes, keep preaching it!

Hammer, I feel, belongs here in Vancouver to play out his career. He's a BC-born player, not to mention a brother of yours.

For all he is worth, he is still a reliable defender and team leader, one of a few guys in the locker room with true character. the blueline around him is getting thin, but he is one of those guys who will stay true to the end - like Shane Doan in Arizona or Linden here in Vancouver. I would anything but give up and trade this guy, except if he's in his last season and must be shipped to a Cup contender. Hammer's got a few more good years.

I would however trade off Vrbata who not only is in his last year, is seen to be terribly unreliable defensively.

would you trade Hammer to Nashville if Seth Jones was coming back?  I know this is hypothetical, but you must admit it depends on what we could get in return - for any player.

A 1st and a B prospect is what you can expect from the Hawks but I am not exactly sure if the Hawks will be in a position to make such a trade. Hawks are going through their own mini retool at the moment. I would not be confident enough to trade a 1st this year as I was last year. Pokka is as untouchable a prospect as possible on the Hawks, he is only D prospect that shows serious promise. We need good young defenseman desperately.

A 1st and a B prospect is what you can expect from the Hawks but I am not exactly sure if the Hawks will be in a position to make such a trade. Hawks are going through their own mini retool at the moment. I would not be confident enough to trade a 1st this year as I was last year. Pokka is as untouchable a prospect as possible on the Hawks, he is only D prospect that shows serious promise. We need good young defenseman desperately.

Hamhuis in Chicago in theory is a good move, but in reality I doubt it happens.  Especially with Keith likely to return on Saturday (Nov 14).

I think Chicago would part with Pokka given how well TvR and Gustafsson have played.  The big challenge is the salary cap, Vancouver would have to take back something.  Maybe Bickell or Daley would go back in return.  If Vancouver took Bickell I would gladly through in Pokka to seal the deal. 

I would trade away Hamhuis but not Vrbata. Vrby is potentially going to be one of our top goal scorers this year, he also has great chemistry with the Sedins which is why the Sedins do better with Vrbata than everybody else. Vrbata plays a bigger role in this team than you think.

and if they keep Vrbata and they make the playoffs then what? I hope management doesn't think like this because my blood is still boiling after that disaster in Calgary that this team showed; it was unnaccepetable as a team to do that to the fan base, that's the bottom line. I think management has to admit that they have given the Sedins' enough chances at the cup along with the regular core and make the trades that will improve us in the long run! What's the point in being a 1st round exit team? We have massive holes on defence and Vrbata and Hamuis could be the guys to land us some young prospects that can help us in the long run. 

Time to build around Horvat, Mccann, Markstorm, Shinky, Subban, Virtanen, Hutton,etc 

and if they keep Vrbata and they make the playoffs then what? I hope management doesn't think like this because my blood is still boiling after that disaster in Calgary that this team showed; it was unnaccepetable as a team to do that to the fan base, that's the bottom line. I think management has to admit that they have given the Sedins' enough chances at the cup along with the regular core and make the trades that will improve us in the long run! What's the point in being a 1st round exit team? We have massive holes on defence and Vrbata and Hamuis could be the guys to land us some young prospects that can help us in the long run. 

Time to build around Horvat, Mccann, Markstorm, Shinky, Subban, Virtanen, Hutton,etc 

you are exactly correct.  Trade guys, like Vrby, for assets now, and we might get a better draft position too.  I like it.  Phone our stupid owner and explain this to him - it's better for his pocket book too!

IF you trade away Hamhuis you better be damn sure Pedan, Sbisa or someone else can eat his minutes.

Vrbata is a lot easier to replace since this team is a score by committee type of team

This.

We have kids up front who can fill in Vbrata's 20-30 goals with ease. Shinkaruk and Gaunce can easily combine for that.

On defence, we don't have anyone to play Hamhuis' big minutes, especially on the PK. Pedan can play them, but he won't play them well. If we're trading Hamhuis away before the deadline, it better be for a young defenceman in a package because Hutton isn't quite ready to be our 3rd best defenceman.

I think we might be able to get away with that around the time of the draft if we can sign a UFA or find another top-4 defenceman in a trade, but until then we really shouldn't or this defence will collapse.

would you trade Hammer to Nashville if Seth Jones was coming back?  I know this is hypothetical, but you must admit it depends on what we could get in return - for any player.

Hahahaha, okay for being hypothetical. Well, I probably might be an idiot if I still said no to this trade if it were for real. Even then, I'd have to wish Hammer the best for a shot at Lord Stanley.

Hahahaha, okay for being hypothetical. Well, I probably might be an idiot if I still said no to this trade if it were for real. Even then, I'd have to wish Hammer the best for a shot at Lord Stanley.

even Trevor got traded.  The Twins I would have real difficulty with seeing leave, more so than Hammer.  We win the cup in 2011 if he doesn't get hurt.  I firmly believe that it was his injury that turned that series.

Archived