The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why Can't This Team Win In OT?

vladimirpuck

Meh, I don't think there's a reason because we do get chances.  PP in OT?  Refs shouldn't be interfering unless something blatant or game changing takes place. 

Puck luck comes into play.  We could have very well won some of the ones we've lost in OT. 

I do think we need to work on crashing the net more and possibly being the recipient of some greasy goals.  Pretty takes perfection and there's just no time for that...fast and furious so you need to just get shots in when/how you can.  Drop passes are our enemy.

It would be refreshing if willie started another line rather then the twins for OT. Until they start going id risk it and just put speed players out there. I think Hanson with horvat would of been a better choice but who knows. But three on three is so up in the air, we could of easily won a few more in OT. 

Don't think there's much to say about this game, when there's a power-play in OT it's pretty much game over for the penalized team.  I'd say though that, by drop-passing less, the team can probably have one less goal against per game, as those passes often lead to rushes the other way and the team needs to fight to even bring it into OT, if it doesn't cost the team all points like it did yesterday.  

Anyways, about OT, neither Sedin is much of a finisher anymore esp. when there's more needle-threading and perimeter passing from them than going to the front of the net where shots become high-percentage.  What's more, when they move into the offensive zone the other team can pretty much already predict what will happen as one brother holds onto the puck before trying to thread a cross-ice pass to the other brother for the tap-in.

How about, as an alternative, putting Hank with Higgins and Danny with McCann?  Higgins drives the net and is decent at shooting and he gets to where he needs to go to create chances, while Hank can find him with passes.  McCann is also smart and has a dangerous shot so I'd put them together.

All Swedish no Finnish. Get it? Haha.

But seriously. Why would you start your 3 slowest guys for 3 on 3 OT. It's been said before: The Sedins with Edler is no longer a good combination; they're all too damn slow.

Also Edler plays with no confidence when Tanev isn't back there on defense. 

Because everybody in Vancouver thinks the Twins will do it for you... Guess Again !!

I think we all love the Twins, and have great respect for them.  It's hard to let go, but the time comes for all players to move on - either to another team, or to retirement.  If we could move them, what could we hope to get?

One more thought about OT, OT lines need to be different from normal 5 on 5 lines.   It is a special team OT which is 3 on 3 and we need to find a combination that works for all of us.   We need to be innovated on OT strategies, including line changes, etc.  If one of our opponent decide to go for a line change, one of our go at the same time, then we'd have 2 on 2 for a while until an extra help arrives, something like that.   3 on 3 is a new thing and it will take a while for a team to dominate 3 on 3 if we innovate.  

Ot is about speed and skill.  its basically a skills competition.  

How many games did it take Willy to figure out that you can put your top goal scorer on the ice 3 on 3.

As much as I dislike a guy like Bob Hartley, do you think if Johnny Gnome or Monahan were in their 1st year and were leading the team in goal scoring they wouldnt have sniffed the ice 3 on 3 in like 5 games?  Even if Jarome was still on the team??

Don't think there's much to say about this game, when there's a power-play in OT it's pretty much game over for the penalized team.  I'd say though that, by drop-passing less, the team can probably have one less goal against per game, as those passes often lead to rushes the other way and the team needs to fight to even bring it into OT, if it doesn't cost the team all points like it did yesterday.  

Anyways, about OT, neither Sedin is much of a finisher anymore esp. when there's more needle-threading and perimeter passing from them than going to the front of the net where shots become high-percentage.  What's more, when they move into the offensive zone the other team can pretty much already predict what will happen as one brother holds onto the puck before trying to thread a cross-ice pass to the other brother for the tap-in.

How about, as an alternative, putting Hank with Higgins and Danny with McCann?  Higgins drives the net and is decent at shooting and he gets to where he needs to go to create chances, while Hank can find him with passes.  McCann is also smart and has a dangerous shot so I'd put them together.

We survived Anaheim.

Archived