The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why Can't This Team Win In OT?

vladimirpuck

The Canucks are in every game. So many 1 goal games this year. It's a matter of slightly better goaltending, slightly more playing the rookies, and slightly more urgency. They can win. Every game counts, all the points count in mid season or end of season!

Also, the Canucks skill is more balanced across all the players?  3 on 3 favors the teams with 3 superstars and a superstar goalie, obviously.

No reason. Just kind has kinda of happened. At the end of the season we'll look back at our 12 OT/shootout losses and cry because we missed the playoffs. Every point counts

Or at the end of the season we will look at our 12 OT/shootout losses and be ecstatic because we made it on the wild card. Every point counts.

Too slow? Sedins are great when they have the puck, sometimes get some solid chances. But as soon as they get knocked off the puck, its game over. They can't come back and boom its in the net. 

I think Wilie needs to try something new. Sedins are not clicking on 3-on-3 right now. Put in the kids and see what happens. They're fast, they can snipe. Thats what you need. If willie doesn't want both McCann and Virt. Maybe Hansen and Virt. McCann and Burrows? With Hutton on the ice the entire 3-on-3. 

Better question is,

Why can't this team score on the PP?

Too slow? Sedins are great when they have the puck, sometimes get some solid chances. But as soon as they get knocked off the puck, its game over. They can't come back and boom its in the net. 

I think Wilie needs to try something new. Sedins are not clicking on 3-on-3 right now. Put in the kids and see what happens. They're fast, they can snipe. Thats what you need. If willie doesn't want both McCann and Virt. Maybe Hansen and Virt. McCann and Burrows? With Hutton on the ice the entire 3-on-3. 

Better question is,

Why can't this team score on the PP?

just think what would result if we scored one or two PP goals per game.  Going 0 for 15 or whatever it is, is obviously the problem here.  Invent a new power play system; any blind horse can find that pasture.............

The Canucks are in every game. So many 1 goal games this year. It's a matter of slightly better goaltending, slightly more playing the rookies, and slightly more urgency. They can win. Every game counts, all the points count in mid season or end of season!

Also, the Canucks skill is more balanced across all the players?  3 on 3 favors the teams with 3 superstars and a superstar goalie, obviously.

slightly better goaltending lol that's a joke right??

Edit: and 3 on 3 favours fast players not slow players like the sedins n Edler lol there hella slow.

just think what would result if we scored one or two PP goals per game.  Going 0 for 15 or whatever it is, is obviously the problem here.  Invent a new power play system; any blind horse can find that pasture.............

There are days when everything works and life is just great. And there are days, nothing seems going the right way. The best thing you can do in such situations is working harder and KISS. Keep It Simple, Stupid.

The PP should go this simple way now, shoot hard and often, crash the net and get the rebounds. Just keep it simple and don't go for the beautiful goals, get the dirty ones and everything is fine.

3 on 3 ot is all about your speed and your shot.  Using your speed and getting a good shot off in transition is how I see most OT games ending.  I see the Canucks struggles to continue this year but with snipers like Virtanen, Boeser, and McCann plus speedsters like Horvat and Shinkaruk  coming up and getting backstopped by the great Thatchy D the Canucks should dominate 3on3OT in the near future.

Personally, I think our OT record will look just fine after 82 games.

A little puckluck here, and maybe a whistle not blown there, and we probably win instead of lose at least a couple of those games. But these things tend to even out over the length on a season.

That's not saying the team doesn't need to work on some aspects of its OT strategy and systems. But I trust the coaches (and key personnel--especially the twins) to make the necessary adjustments to their improve overall performance during 3-on-3.

They have been getting good looks and quality chances. Just not converting. And unfortunately, when you come really close to scoring at one end, you usually end up leaving yourself very exposed for the opponent to counter at the other end. That's just how the new OT works and why it's so exciting. 

But eventually, we will score in OT and finish these games before the other guys do.

There are days when everything works and life is just great. And there are days, nothing seems going the right way. The best thing you can do in such situations is working harder and KISS. Keep It Simple, Stupid.

The PP should go this simple way now, shoot hard and often, crash the net and get the rebounds. Just keep it simple and don't go for the beautiful goals, get the dirty ones and everything is fine.

Totally agree Harry.  Yes, work hard and score a few power play goals.  You would be surprised how many W's might go into the win column.  Having said that, "they still suck on the PP.".  The Sedins have to quit trying to score the fancy ones.  McCann seems to have good hands, give him some PP time with Hank and Dank.  We need a sniper.

Funny how back when we suck at shootouts, we wanted anything but shootouts. Two years ago, we would probably be in favor of 3 on 3 OT with our horrendous shootout record, we might as well take a chance with 3 on 3 OT. Now that we are like one of the best shootout teams in the NHL (last year we have the 2nd best save percentage in shootouts and best shooting percentage, and is 1-0 in shootous this year), but we suck at 3 on 3... 

Well, I don't like this 3 against 3. And I don't like other OT's nor shutout during a 82 game season. What is wrong with a tie?

During the playoffs, okay, but now? A regular season game should have 2 points for the winner or 1 for each team, like in the old days.

This 3v3 is just constructing drama. Hockey don't need this, it's thrilling enough.

I was at the leafs vs canucks game this past saturday.

it was one of my only two live games i've attended and i've gotta say i'm disappointed. I consider Canucks to be a better team than leafs skillwise because Leafs is very much a patch-work team, while Canucks have been together for a while, and have recently injected some talented youth that have promise.

I've gotta say the game was very disappointing. The team just didn't have the will to fight for the puck (except for the odd times), and they were visibly smaller than the leafs and were pushed around all night. Reimer faced around 40 shots, but i'd argue that 30 were from the perimeter, or dump-ins which were easy to save since Reimer had clear line of sight.

The game was a clear contrast to the first game against the Flames where they had passion, and fought hard to win puck battles and went hard to the net.

I found three things were missing from this team

1) Size - our team looked out-matched and when the smaller guys were out against the leafs, it was noticeable how they were dominated, which caused them to turn over pucks continuously. I would like to think our players are better puck movers but in this game, i noticed they could barely make complete passes and were always making lazy finesse plays.

2) Willingness to go to the net - mostly all shots from perimeter, or dump-in. When few shots caused rebounds, noone was around to shove it in. This is a problem as it has been in the past years

3) Brandon Prust - I know we got Dorsett, and Cracknell, but there was absolutely no grit in the team. I found they didn't stand up for the team to provide a spark unless you count the dying minutes of the 3rd and by then the game was out of their hands.

If these three things do not change, i think we're going to be winning very few games.

Archived