The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Congrats to Lu - moving up in all time wins - Luuuu

Rate this topic

gizmo2337

Best goalie in NHL history to never win a Cup. 

At the moment, that award truly belongs to CuJo. I feel bad for a few guys on the list. Some, so dependable in the long run for 10+ years... get the W's, and still no cup. That's the hard part though...some of these guys have good teams and went farther than they should. Some of them went much farther with much less of a team(s). 

• Upvote 1

At the moment, that award truly belongs to CuJo. I feel bad for a few guys on the list. Some, so dependable in the long run for 10+ years... get the W's, and still no cup. That's the hard part though...some of these guys have good teams and went farther than they should. Some of them went much farther with much less of a team(s). 

My hope is that will not come true, Lu being the best never to win. They will have to replace Gallant with a better coach, the Panthers have the personnel to win, but the coaching is suspect.

It's hard to compare goalies from different eras. But based on statistics, Luongo is better for sure. CuJo's only greater statistic is in wins, but Luongo is catching up fairly quickly.

Their SV% and GAA in the playoffs are almost identical. Had Luongo been playing on a better team sooner, he definitely would have had more playoff wins.

Also Luongo has gone further in the playoffs. 

Luongo: Game 7 Stanley Cup finals

CuJo: Game 6 Conference finals

Realistically, Lundquist is the only one who can catch Marty.  As long as he plays til that age, he will. I have no doubt. It will be close though. I honestly believe Henrik will be the better by the end of it all. Marty had the benefit of all those Jersey teams with stifling defense. Henrik's teams are nowhere close. Lu will end his career top 3 and then be bumped down to 3 or 4 by the end of it.

Luongo's career reminds me of Mike Liut's

The way his career was, how he was never quite recognized "officially" for his greatness. Almost snake bitten. He was the Runner up to Wayne Gretzky for the hart trophy one year and I believe he won the Lester B. He was never on a great team, so he didn't stack up the wins or shutouts like he probably should have. His GAA and save % also decimated by his mediocre teammates. 

It's kind of a sad story to be honest.

For those who don't know Liut look him up, he deserves to be known. Such a great talent that just never caught a break. 

Sadly when all of you young guys are on an Internet form with a bunch of young guns (like I am right now) having this same conversation. I'll bet one of you will tell the story of Roberto Luongo. Believe it or not, without the Stanley cups, he will be forgotten. Just like poor Mike Liut. 

• Upvote 3

The way his career was, how he was never quite recognized "officially" for his greatness. Almost snake bitten. He was the Runner up to Wayne Gretzky for the hart trophy one year and I believe he won the Lester B. He was never on a great team, so he didn't stack up the wins or shutouts like he probably should have. His GAA and save % also decimated by his mediocre teammates. 

For those who don't know Liut look him up, he deserves to be known. Such a great talent that just never caught a break. 

Sadly when all of you young guys are on an Internet form with a bunch of young guns (like I am right now) having this same conversation. I'll bet one of you will tell the story of Roberto Luongo. Believe it or not, without the Stanley cups, he will be forgotten. Just like poor Mike Liut. 

Cu-Jo is a cup-less and vezina-less goalie as well, but he's not really in danger of being forgotten. It certainly hurts his legacy from being considered one of the true greats, but he won't be forgotten. Luongo will likely end his career in that same league of his.

Luongo's a guy that was closer to both of those defining career achievements than even Cu-Jo was, but to go on your theme here, no one remembers what people almost did, really. But as players, their careers won't be forgotten, even if they're not Roy, Hasek, or Brodeur-esque.

It's hard to compare goalies from different eras. But based on statistics, Luongo is better for sure. CuJo's only greater statistic is in wins, but Luongo is catching up fairly quickly.

Their SV% and GAA in the playoffs are almost identical. Had Luongo been playing on a better team sooner, he definitely would have had more playoff wins.

Also Luongo has gone further in the playoffs. 

Luongo: Game 7 Stanley Cup finals

CuJo: Game 6 Conference finals

CuJo is famous for making a bad Toronto team extremely fun to watch, but Luongo probably played even better when he was on Florida the first time. 

So mad he was run out of town. Should still be here, solidifying his legend. 

• Upvote 1

Cu-Jo is a cup-less and vezina-less goalie as well, but he's not really in danger of being forgotten. It certainly hurts his legacy from being considered one of the true greats, but he won't be forgotten. Luongo will likely end his career in that same league of his.

Luongo's a guy that was closer to both of those defining career achievements than even Cu-Jo was, but to go on your theme here, no one remembers what people almost did, really. But as players, their careers won't be forgotten, even if they're not Roy, Hasek, or Brodeur-esque.

It is hard to imagine because we are in the present time. Think 30 years ago, the only goalies most people remember are the ones who won.

Who do people mention more today? Tom Barrasso or John Casey?  

Who had more Talent? 

FLA started good for 3-4 games but have been pretty bad and lost 5 straight, but Luongo has been very solid.  Need to get some wins together.

Could see Lu crack the 500 win mark.  He has a good solid 3-4 years left in him.  

Said this in another thread recently, but I hope this will keeping Lu playing through to the end of his contract. I think it's highly likely now, between padding the career stats and just generally being happier playing close to home, that he'll probably gracefully slide down to being a backup over the next 2-4 years. Or he might not even need to, dude seems to be in phenomenal shape. 

It is hard to imagine because we are in the present time. Think 30 years ago, the only goalies most people remember are the ones who won.

Who had more Talent? 

I remember Tom Barrasso because he has one of the more memorable names and it amused me growing up.

But will Tim Thomas be remembered more vividly than Luongo and Cu-Jo? He has 2 Vezinas and a cup. But it's a stretch to even say he will be in the hall of fame, when Luongo and Cu-Jo could more or less be eventual shoe ins.

The case with that example, and with a guy like Jon Casey, is that there's just a lot of longevity on Luongo's side. He has the wins, and the stretched out career. 

I think it will be interesting to see what happens to him

Said this in another thread recently, but I hope this will keeping Lu playing through to the end of his contract. I think it's highly likely now, between padding the career stats and just generally being happier playing close to home, that he'll probably gracefully slide down to being a backup over the next 2-4 years. Or he might not even need to, dude seems to be in phenomenal shape. 

Last season was Lu's best season since 2011, and his numbers to start are solid.  Funny thing is, Lu was terrible in Oct's here literally every season, but since in FLA he has been off to fantastic starts.

But I think Lu will be able to play for a while, just because his style.  

Edited by JV77

CuJo is famous for making a bad Toronto team extremely fun to watch, but Luongo probably played even better when he was on Florida the first time. 

So mad he was run out of town. Should still be here, solidifying his legend. 

run out of town? lol, he was under contract for a long time but wanted to play in Florida. How is that getting run out of town?

i hope sometime in the future that both Cujo and Lui get in to the HOF despite no veins or a cup... Both big time goalies on unfortunate teams at the time.

Agree on Liut..I think the 8-1 drubbing vs the Russkies(Canada Cup 81?) did him in. His style reminded me of McLean's..was dominant for a few yrs, no doubt.

Edited by Nuxfanabroad
  • Upvote 1

Who had more Talent? 

People remember Barrasso due to the face that he was tricking' hilarious. 

One of sports all time paranoid pricks, just a first class tool.

I miss him....I wish he would take over coaches corner, now that would be "can't miss TV"