The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Congrats to Lu - moving up in all time wins - Luuuu

Rate this topic

gizmo2337

run out of town? lol, he was under contract for a long time but wanted to play in Florida. How is that getting run out of town?

i hope sometime in the future that both Cujo and Lui get in to the HOF despite no veins or a cup... Both big time goalies on unfortunate teams at the time.

He wanted to play in Florida because of the whole situation between who would actually be the Canucks #1 goalie. Lui or Schneider? And obviously that situation was botched. Had it been Luongo all along and trading Schneider earlier, solidifying the #1 goalie position for Luongo, he would be more than happy to have stayed here and ended his career as a Vancouver Canuck. It's why he signed that massive 12 year contract. It was only then when the situation was unclear and unsettling for him that he was getting sick and tired of the same old questions and uncertainty everyday that he wanted to go back home.

• Upvote 1

He wanted to play in Florida because of the whole situation between who would actually be the Canucks #1 goalie. Lui or Schneider? And obviously that situation was botched. Had it been Luongo all along and trading Schneider earlier, solidifying the #1 goalie position for Luongo, he would be more than happy to have stayed here and ended his career as a Vancouver Canuck. It's why he signed that massive 12 year contract. It was only then when the situation was unclear and unsettling for him that he was getting sick and tired of the same old questions and uncertainty everyday that he wanted to go back home.

and who would want to play in that environment? you're offered this deal to be the #1 guy. then management ****ed the whole thing with schneider wanting to play more, so they tried to quietly phase luongo out, with intentions of trading him probably long before they traded schneider. this team has a history of management making **** decisions. luongo was never run out of town, management just ****ed everything up

• Upvote 1

He actually left over the situation involving who would play between he and Lack.  Tortorella's decision to start Lack in the Heritage Classic was what brought the trade on.  Schneider was already gone.

He actually left over the situation involving who would play between he and Lack.  Tortorella's decision to start Lack in the Heritage Classic was what brought the trade on.  Schneider was already gone.

Maybe Torts was trying to force MG to make some trades, and change up the team's core, which was old and stale?  Torts has been quoted as stating the team need to get younger, and move out some of the old core. 

Nope. This was before that. When we realized that Schneider was ready to play more games and become a starting goalie in the NHL, we already knew one of Luongo or Schneider had to go. Management and even a lot of fans wanted to see Schneider play more and he did and they even said that Schneider was going to be the #1 goalie for that season. Leading up to the 2013 draft, and in the offseason prior to the 2012-13 season, we were led to believe by Gillis that Schneider was the #1 goalie and that Lui will be on his way out. But we shipped Schneider for the 9th (Horvat) and that made it clear that Luongo was the starter. And at the time, we had to ship one of them out as Lack was basically NHL ready. He needed to be on the roster. And with Schneider gone, it was assumed Luongo would be the #1 again but Torts decided to play Lack more and with the whole Heritage Classic thing, that was the final straw.

Just go read Luongo's Wikipedia page. It's there. I didn't even have to read it and I know that it's there. 

Edited by Apple Juice

Luongo's career reminds me of Mike Liut's

The way his career was, how he was never quite recognized "officially" for his greatness. Almost snake bitten. He was the Runner up to Wayne Gretzky for the hart trophy one year and I believe he won the Lester B. He was never on a great team, so he didn't stack up the wins or shutouts like he probably should have. His GAA and save % also decimated by his mediocre teammates. 

It's kind of a sad story to be honest.

For those who don't know Liut look him up, he deserves to be known. Such a great talent that just never caught a break. 

Sadly when all of you young guys are on an Internet form with a bunch of young guns (like I am right now) having this same conversation. I'll bet one of you will tell the story of Roberto Luongo. Believe it or not, without the Stanley cups, he will be forgotten. Just like poor Mike Liut. 

Wow I compared Lou to Liut years ago. I agree completely. Nobody remembers Liut even though he won the Pearson one year in a block of seasons where only Gretzky won it.

run out of town? lol, he was under contract for a long time but wanted to play in Florida. How is that getting run out of town?

i hope sometime in the future that both Cujo and Lui get in to the HOF despite no veins or a cup... Both big time goalies on unfortunate teams at the time.

He was run out of town cause the media and fans made him feel like he was in a fish bowl. Same thing happened to Bure, and look where he went. 

He was great to both Schneider and Lack, and I really do think he was starting to get comfortable here again. Torts not playing him in the Winter Classic was the straw that broke the camel's back. 

• Upvote 1

He was run out of town cause the media and fans made him feel like he was in a fish bowl. Same thing happened to Bure, and look where he went. 
He was great to both Schneider and Lack, and I really do think he was starting to get comfortable here again. Torts not playing him in the Winter Classic was the straw that broke the camel's back. 

newsflash... That is not being run out of town! He always said how much he loved the fans here, go dream up another theory!

Luongo will go down as the greatest goaltender never to win a cup unfortunately... Luongo had the misfortune of being one of the best goalies who ever lived, as well as being a huge playoff choker, and people will likely remember his play against the Hawks and Bruins more than his actual career, and that's very sad. One of the best goaltenders to ever play the game, hands down. The only franchise goaltender we ever had, and really the only good goaltender we've had since Kirk Maclean. Kept us in it almost every night. I miss Lui. I think it was time to move on though, but it might be another decade before we get a goalie anywhere close to being as good as Luongo was.

Best goalie in NHL history to never win a Cup. 

It could be argued that CuJo might be ahead of him, but they're sure close. Lu's got him in shutouts, not to mention the fact that Lu got to game 7 of the Finals.

newsflash... That is not being run out of town! He always said how much he loved the fans here, go dream up another theory!

"There's no hiding it. I did want to play that game," Luongo told reporters. "I mean that goes without saying, and if I would have played I probably would maybe still be here. Who knows?"

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/roberto-luongo-says-heritage-classic-snub-led-to-vancouver-exit-1.2891973

"There's no hiding it. I did want to play that game," Luongo told reporters. "I mean that goes without saying, and if I would have played I probably would maybe still be here. Who knows?"

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/roberto-luongo-says-heritage-classic-snub-led-to-vancouver-exit-1.2891973

So explain how the " media and fans" made this happen... Do you remember saying that earlier as the reason?

Edited by Westcoasting

So he holds a bunch of records in Vancouver and a bunch of records in Florida. 

He has played about 8 years in each city. Which city would most likely retire his jersey?

So is Markstrome the only asset we have left from the Luongo trade?

Edited by smokes
addition