The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Congrats to Lu - moving up in all time wins - Luuuu

Rate this topic

gizmo2337

Oh, right. Hockey writers' opinions matter but fans' don't. Make sense, since they're known to be so fair and unbiased... 

Your fanboy memories aside, Cujo has lower stats and far fewer international achievements. He wasn't a bad goalie, but he just wasn't as good as Luo.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, poetica said:

Oh, right. Hockey writers' opinions matter but fans' don't. Make sense, since they're known to be so fair and unbiased... 

Your fanboy memories aside, Cujo has lower stats and far fewer international achievements. He wasn't a bad goalie, but he just wasn't as good as Luo.

So you think the committee will pay attention to homer fans like me voting for the favorite or would they not pay more attention to the hockey writers on who they pick as number 1 every year? I don't know for sure but I would bet they pay attention to first team all star selections rather than the all star game.

Lui did have some great tourneys overseas... Cujo had better playoff performances. Unfortunately that also is because he only has a total of 60 something playoff games to his credit. Not in the playoffs so he was always available in his Florida days. Good tourneys overseas don't replace Vezinas , Conn Smythes, and cups so both of them are in the same boat.

I don't know exactly what they will pay attention to, lacking a time machine or psychic abilities. Maybe they'll factor in some writers' opinions based on who knows what, maybe they won't. Maybe they'll consider (non-writers) fans' opinions (not all of whom are "homers" or else they'd never get voted in...), maybe they won't. I do believe, however, that will likely take into account an athlete's entire playing career and I hope that they would be smart enough to consider context. A goalie with good stats on a crap team is more impressive than a goalie with great stats on a spectacular team.

Maybe you're right and they will agree with your "Win a Cup or it doesn't matter" opinion. If so, it's not really a list of the best to ever play the game, just a list of the best of the luckiest. Any definition of "great" that blindly disqualifies the likes of Luongo and Lundqvist simply because they've never had the fortune of playing on a team (at least at this point) that was able to win a Cup is flawed. I expect better.

If they held forwards and defenseman to the same standard they hold goalies too, they wouldn't be inducting four per year. Entering as a goalie is way too hard in comparison. I think the system itself is flawed in that each member only has one vote. So you have a choice of a forward with 500 goals and a cup, a forward with 500 goals two cups and two art Ross, and a defenseman with Norris's trophys and a pile of points.... Or they can vote for a great goalie with no awards... They always pick the most points and awards/ cups etc.

I wouldn't be surprised to see only Brodeur and some amuck like Chris Osgood get in the next ten years... A travesty

On 11/14/2015 at 0:31 PM, smokes said:

So he holds a bunch of records in Vancouver and a bunch of records in Florida. 

He has played about 8 years in each city. Which city would most likely retire his jersey?

So is Markstrome the only asset we have left from the Luongo trade?

Great question. I love the player. IMO It should be Florida though, that's where his heart is. He and Bure are the best players the Panthers have ever seen.

I don't think the Canucks will retire his jersey. While I think he is the greatest goaltender this team has ever had, I personally feel that in order for a jersey to be retired the player should have played a majority of their career with the team. So although Luongo was here in his prime, Florida is where he will have played majority of his career. While his body of work is deserving of his jersey being retired, in my opinion, I believe that the amount of time spent with the team is also a big consideration. 

12 hours ago, Diamonds said:

I don't think the Canucks will retire his jersey. While I think he is the greatest goaltender this team has ever had, I personally feel that in order for a jersey to be retired the player should have played a majority of their career with the team. So although Luongo was here in his prime, Florida is where he will have played majority of his career. While his body of work is deserving of his jersey being retired, in my opinion, I believe that the amount of time spent with the team is also a big consideration. 

Bure played a season less than Luongo in Vancouver and has his jersey up there, albeit that Bure is HOF.

13 hours ago, Diamonds said:

The canucks will ask but i think lu would want his jersey retired in florida

On 12/19/2015 at 9:29 PM, JV77 said:

maybe both cities...can't see why not

the reason why he wouldn't here is because there is just too much negativity from other fans and perhaps bitterness of how he was treated here. If gillis did one thing right he traded him home.

On 12/19/2015 at 8:26 PM, Western Red said:

Great question. I love the player. IMO It should be Florida though, that's where his heart is. He and Bure are the best players the Panthers have ever seen.

lu and bure are also a couple of the best players that the canucks have seen as well.

7 hours ago, thema said:

...and both left under a cloud...

its always rainy in vancouver....

this city just loves to crap on superstars, i dont get it.... Linden was and still is treated like royalty, but in all fairness he was FAR from a superstar, but its the heart and soul that this city fell in love with.

Why cant Vancouver just love them all? The Sedins for the most part get lots of praise from the media (maybe they are slowly learning) but there are still the odd fan that loves to kick them while they are down and ignore all their success.

Congrats LUUUUU

2 hours ago, Frazzy Desjardins said:

its always rainy in vancouver....

this city just loves to crap on superstars, i dont get it.... Linden was and still is treated like royalty, but in all fairness he was FAR from a superstar, but its the heart and soul that this city fell in love with.

You haven't got a clue... Have you ever been to a game? Fans have never cheered louder than for Bure and Lui, they both got treated like royalty here.