The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Flint Firebirds fire coaches, Players walk out

Vrienzy

How can anybody in this thread be labeling either side as being anything (immature or otherwise)? That article didn't have nearly enough info. 

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/reports-players-walk-out-on-ohls-flint-firebirds/

This article says a bit more. I don't blame the players for protesting the firing of all of their coaches. 

Man what is happening with the OHL?  Teams relocating left and right, some have been around for 40 years.  I heard the ticket prices are way too overpriced.  Why is that, they don't necessarily pay for player wages so what's the excuse?   

So now he has hired them back

http://www.tsn.ca/mondaymustread-flint-firebirds-re-hire-coaches-after-player-protest-1.390508

Less than 24 hours after players handed in their jerseys and walked out in support of their fired coach, the OHL's Flint Firebirds are slowly being pieced back together.

Head coach John Gruden and assistant Dave Karpa were re-hired by owner Rolf Nilsen on Monday and given new three-year contracts, team sources confirmed. The news was first reported by @OHLinsiders on Twitter.

Nilsen's about-face came on the heels of a meeting with OHL commissioner David Branch, who was also scheduled to meet with players later on Monday.

Nilsen offered players a terse apology on Monday afternoon, saying only "I'm sorry for what I did," before leaving the dressing room so the players could regroup with the coaching staff. Flint is scheduled to host Sarnia on Friday night.

Okay...I want to see if I got this story straight...

John Gruden and his staff are fired because the owner's kid isn't getting enough ice time...kids stick up for Gruden/staff and walk en masse, including the owner's kid...Dave Branch has a conversation with the owner...owner capitulates by apologizing to the kids, rehires Gruden and staff and gives them a 3 year extension.

I have a few questions...wonder how the owner's kid feels?  Embarrassed and ashamed of his old man maybe?  What happened to the owner's twigs and berries?  Did he lose them somewhere?  (but good on him for back tracking and making amends).  And most importantly, when did Chuckie leave the football booth and NFL coaching aspirations to coach junior hockey in Flint?  JK...I know it's a different John Gruden from Jon Gruden.

I have a few questions...wonder how the owner's kid feels?  Embarrassed and ashamed of his old man maybe? 

This was my first thought as well.  During the Super Series broadcast, Sportsnet reported that the coach came into the dressing room and told the players he was being fired for not playing the owner's kid enough.  Kind of a tough spot that kid was put into both by his Dad and the coach!

Archived