The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Radim Vrbata a MINUS 8 ??!!

bohonos76

Radim Vrbata is going to be just fine. Only 2 people in the entire NHL have more shots on goal. And Vrbata gets prime scoring opportunities - I wouldn't be surprised if he leads the league in scoring chances. He's just going through a funk: an unfortunate combination of bad luck and a bit of hesitation.

All of the advanced stats suggest that his output is going to improve (check out that PDO, for example). Regression to the mean. It always happens eventually. If I were a betting man, I'd be putting a LOT of money on Vrbata miraculously re-finding his scoring touch, and the knee-jerk nut jobs on CDC inventing a weird "reason" for it.

Radim Vrbata is going to be just fine. Only 2 people in the entire NHL have more shots on goal. And Vrbata gets prime scoring opportunities - I wouldn't be surprised if he leads the league in scoring chances. He's just going through a funk: an unfortunate combination of bad luck and a bit of hesitation.

All of the advanced stats suggest that his output is going to improve (check out that PDO, for example). Regression to the mean. It always happens eventually. If I were a betting man, I'd be putting a LOT of money on Vrbata miraculously re-finding his scoring touch, and the knee-jerk nut jobs on CDC inventing a weird "reason" for it.

Coin flip on "carried by a rookie" or Willie "finally figuring out what they were saying for weeks"

i don't think you are watching games, he could have had 3 goals on the last game if he had capitalize on his grade a chances.

Chances generated are what is important. And he has made himself in position to get those chances, only it wasn't going in.

What makes you think he's a paycheck player ha, fig. Don't make absolute statements if you don't rational reason.

Last time I checked, they don't give you wins for "chances generated".  The scoreboard, if you haven't noticed, uses goals to determine who wins and who loses.

I love the arguments that justify the loser mentality this team seems to have adopted -- lets be happy with chances.  Let's not worry about goals.  Shoulda, woulda, coulda...hallmark words of a loser mindset (FTR, not calling you a loser Coward...just am talking about how certain players talk about "we deserved a better fate"...which to me is a crock -- in pro sports, you create your own fate).

Last time I checked, they don't give you wins for "chances generated".  The scoreboard, if you haven't noticed, uses goals to determine who wins and who loses.

I love the arguments that justify the loser mentality this team seems to have adopted -- lets be happy with chances.  Let's not worry about goals.  Shoulda, woulda, coulda...hallmark words of a loser mindset (FTR, not calling you a loser Coward...just am talking about how certain players talk about "we deserved a better fate"...which to me is a crock -- in pro sports, you create your own fate).

same reason I don't believe in being tough and choosing physicality over skill as it more often produce goals.

Consistent chances generated however, to me, shows how good the team is, more than the results. A crappy team that only wins games just because of occasional lucky goals cannot maintain it in the long term and I think we have been lucky for the most part last season as even though we're 2nd in the Pacific we lost the 1st round. Sure Calgary had had good year result last year because of scoring goals, but because their way of generating them is not consistent, they struggle a bit this season.

Not consistently generating chances yet wwinning games is mediocrity to me. 

i don't think you are watching games, he could have had 3 goals on the last game if he had capitalize on his grade a chances.

Chances generated are what is important. And he has made himself in position to get those chances, only it wasn't going in.

What makes you think he's a paycheck player ha, fig. Don't make absolute statements if you don't rational reason.

I m sure Vrbata is just as frustrated as we are that he is not scoring

With tongue in cheek though , wasn't it Willie himself that made the statement regarding Sven, that "This isn't a 'try' league, it's a 'gotta get it done' league."

I m sure Vrbata is just as frustrated as we are that he is not scoring

With tongue in cheek though , wasn't it Willie himself that made the statement regarding Sven, that "This isn't a 'try' league, it's a 'gotta get it done' league."

I ddon't agree with what Willie had said in that one. Young players, or rookies doesn't automatically knows how to play in the NHL, I know you would agree and if didn't try to make things happen I doubt they would get better. 

He may have meant for Sven to do something though, and that he needs to show more not just trying to keep it safe to the point that he is doing nothing.

Vrbata's compete level has identifiable limits to it. See the series against Calgary for Exhibit 1.

Jack I don't buy the Calgary form. We were an exhausted unit by the playoffs caused by too many guys carrying the load for the many injuries to others. Even players like Bo and Hansen dipped in the playoffs and it had nothing to do with compete and more to do with exhaustion and mental fatigue imo.

Jack I don't buy the Calgary form. We were an exhausted unit by the playoffs caused by too many guys carrying the load for the many injuries to others. Even players like Bo and Hansen dipped in the playoffs and it had nothing to do with compete and more to do with exhaustion and mental fatigue imo.

No, he was terrified being out there. He unloaded the puck quick all series long...wouldn't take a hit to make a good play. It was obvious.

Bo's play didn't taper off; he was excellent.

Because 4 points in 6 games is awful and a 6 game window defines a player?

There is more to hockey than points. His laziness and  poor play from that series has carried over into this season, he looks regularly like he's coasting out there, plus he has missed at least 10 AAA chances that should be sure goals. To play this poorly after complaining about not playing with the Sedins is all on him. The reason that line isn't working right now is puck retrieval, Vrbata does not get in on the forecheck and create pressure, he prefers to wait for his other linemates to get the puck and set him up; that only works if your scoring which he has not done yet (he has yet to score a goal by shooting the puck directly into the net)

Because 4 points in 6 games is awful and a 6 game window defines a player?

One of those points was an empty-net goal. Again, points aren't everything, but for a guy like Vrbata, he'd better score to help the team because he doesn't bring much else, especially when the physicality picks up. He has 18 points in 42 playoff games, if you think that's adequate given his skillset, I would disagree.

No, he was terrified being out there. He unloaded the puck quick all series long...wouldn't take a hit to make a good play. It was obvious.

This, the playoffs was Bo's coming out party, how many times did he go end to end.

Most of the team looked pretty tired but Vrbata defintely looked scared. He avoids contact too much, but I guess you can't really blame him, he's getting pretty old and has always been a finesse player.

Wow.  I think I must have been watching an entirely different playoff series because the Vrbata I saw played like the cowardly lion while Bo elevated his game to another level.  Exhaustion and mental fatigue in the playoffs?  Weak excuse to make for the Canucks.

I am 100% sure management has tried and is currently trying their best to get as much value as possible out of Radim. The only problem is what kind of value would we get in return for a streaky aging goal scorer currently in a funk and at the end of his current contract..

Who knows really? lets hope for a miracle

- agent 007

They would not have reached the playoffs if it wasn't for Vbrata 63 points in 79 games 267 shots, +8 Are you going to tell me a massive effort like that doesn't take it out of a 33 year old veteran? The entire team was shot.

Bo was -8 in the regular season. 

In the playoffs they both had the same points (4) but Vbrata had double the shots. Bo was +1 and Vbrata -2. As I say neither were anything to write home about.

They would not have reached the playoffs if it wasn't for Vbrata 63 points in 79 games 267 shots, +8 Are you going to tell me a massive effort like that doesn't take it out of a 33 year old veteran? The entire team was shot.

Bo was -8 in the regular season. 

In the playoffs they both had the same points (4) but Vbrata had double the shots. Bo was +1 and Vbrata -2. As I say neither were anything to write home about.

Calgary were the comeback kids all year long, excelling in third periods. How come they weren't shot? 

As for Vrbata's 63 points, it's nice they got something out of him for that $5M he was paid. Massive effort? Don't insult me with garbage like that. By playoff time, all the paycheques were in the bank....he resorted to mailing it in at that point. Comparing Horvat to Vrbata is assinine. One has heart, one doesn't. 

Archived