The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

No Hearing for Larrson on his hit on McCann

Apricot

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2015/11/09/no-hearing-scheduled-for-larsson-after-mccann-hit/

Devils blueliner Adam Larsson doesn’t have a disciplinary hearing scheduled after getting tossed for a hit on Vancouver rookie Jared McCann, per an NHL spokesman.

Larsson was given an interference major and game misconduct during Sunday’s game, a 4-3 New Jersey win in OT. The hit occurred midway through the third period; McCann left the playing surface briefly, but returned to the game.

Following the game, Larsson’s New Jersey teammates and head coach John Hynes disagreed with the call on the ice.

“It’s a difficult play for referees to call in motion,” Hynes said, per the Star-Ledger. “But our perception was that it was a fair play.”

I’m not really worried about them suspending him,” added Devils captain Andy Greene.

The Devils next play on Tuesday, a home date against the St. Louis Blues.

Are you freaking kidding me? That was not a fair play, is this some sort of joke?

Meh. Kid was off balance, reaching and at that point Larsson is a foot taller than him. Interference at the most.

At some point guys like McDavid and McCann will have to realize that they don't have the time and space to make those kind of cheeky poke checks or dekes around guys. They will get flattened.

Head up next time kid, learn from your mistakes.

Good call on-ice.  I think they considered that sufficient.  If it weren't a five minute major / game, perhaps he'd have faced supplemental.

But I'm really getting sick and tired of teams running McCann.  Backes, did... I think this is at least the third run at him teams have taken.  He's clearly considered a threat.

This hit is a perfect reason why the Canucks need to invest in players like Milan Lucic. The hit was borderline, but obviously was intended on hurting McCann.

The Canucks need to bulk up to protect their upcoming star players. Lucic would rearrange Larsson's face for that, if he was a Canuck. Just sayin.

I don't think it bodes well for Vcr if McCann becomes a target. It's a shame Prust is injured and the point is, unfortunatley, you don't go after Larson you go after their youngster and or skilled players. Some one runs your goalie you run their goalie. I was surprised no one went after the guy that dropped the gloves with Virtanen....that's the problem with only having one tough guy on the roster.

I'm actually really impressed at the level-headedness of the posters in this thread. I  was expecting a lot of knee-jerk reactions calling for Larrson's head on a silver platter. 

As many people said above me, I didn't think this was much of a dirty hit. It was late - it should have been a 2 minute interference call (I think the 5 minute major was a little overboard and the match penalty was overkill). It was shoulder on shoulder and McCann was off-balance. It looked a lot worse that it was and the onus is on McCann to keep himself balanced as well as take the hit properly. Larrson showed us that McCann is not strong enough yet and needs to improve in that area. 

I'm glad there was no suspension because it was a clean hit (other than its lateness). 

This hit is a perfect reason why the Canucks need to invest in players like Milan Lucic. The hit was borderline, but obviously was intended on hurting McCann.

The Canucks need to bulk up to protect their upcoming star players. Lucic would rearrange Larsson's face for that, if he was a Canuck. Just sayin.

Lucic isn't nearly as tough as you think he is. Most of the time he just makes himself out to look like a big, pouty child.

It was barely late, shoulder to shoulder contact.  5 and a game was the right call.  I think the majority of Canuck fans would be supporting Larrson of the roles were reversed.  It sucks for McCann, he is likely injured from it regardless of whether he continues to play each night.  Bruised ribs if nothing else.  That hit could have ended much worse for McCann, he lost his balance a little and got his head up a second before contact.  If he had not got his head up it could have easily ended up a head shot.  Lucky for Larrson in a way as well, because if he had tagged McCann in the head there would be a hearing and a suspension given the crushing nature of the hit. In my opinion anyways. 

Lucic isn't nearly as tough as you think he is. Most of the time he just makes himself out to look like a big, pouty child.

I disagree. He has leveled many players during scrums. Outside of Colton Orr and Brandon Prout that is.

He is feared in the league for a reason, and it's not for handshake line shenanigans and nut shots.

Archived