The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

No Hearing for Larrson on his hit on McCann

Apricot

I'm actually really impressed at the level-headedness of the posters in this thread. I  was expecting a lot of knee-jerk reactions calling for Larrson's head on a silver platter. 

As many people said above me, I didn't think this was much of a dirty hit. It was late - it should have been a 2 minute interference call (I think the 5 minute major was a little overboard and the match penalty was overkill). It was shoulder on shoulder and McCann was off-balance. It looked a lot worse that it was and the onus is on McCann to keep himself balanced as well as take the hit properly. Larrson showed us that McCann is not strong enough yet and needs to improve in that area. 

I'm glad there was no suspension because it was a clean hit (other than its lateness). 

I agree with this. I thought Larrson was closing the door on McCann and finishing off the hit. Late? Somewhat. Other than that, I had no problem with it. He could have easily targeted McCann's head and didn't.

I agree with this. I thought Larrson was closing the door on McCann and finishing off the hit. Late? Somewhat. Other than that, I had no problem with it. He could have easily targeted McCann's head and didn't.

I don't think the hit justified a suspension but as for the targeting the head....the only reason he didn't hit McCann directly in the head was due to Jared lifting up just before contact.  When Larsson was lining him up, Jared's head was directly in the line of Larsson's shoulder.  Larsson saw McCann was in a stretched out and vulnerable position and chose not to back off.  

Definite intent to inflict pain and suffering versus separating him from the puck or just "finishing his check".

Mccann gotta learn not to put your head down and go in with so much speed while cutting behind the net.  Don't want to see the kid hurt but I could see that coming the second he sped up there because it's so easy to cut a guy off there.  Hopefully he learned his lesson and won't get into a worse hit in the future.  

If everyone keeps complaining and bitching about every single hit and calling for suspensions. It's truly going to turn into a no hit league, which is what the league is becoming. Shame on everyone. 

To be fair, I am the only one that actually complained about the hit in this thread. Everyone else wrote that what Larrson got in game was good enough. 

I just don't want any of the kids getting hurt, I may have some homer glasses on alright ;)

To be fair, I am the only one that actually complained about the hit in this thread. Everyone else wrote that what Larrson got in game was good enough. 

I just don't want any of the kids getting hurt, I may have some homer glasses on alright ;)

It doesn't look as bad from this angle. 

It doesn't look as bad from this angle. 

YEs it does.  When Larsson commits to the hit, McCann's head is below his shoulder.  Larsson makes no effort to back off and only Jared rising up at the last moment prevented a direct hit to the head.

I'm actually really impressed at the level-headedness of the posters in this thread. I  was expecting a lot of knee-jerk reactions calling for Larrson's head on a silver platter. 

As many people said above me, I didn't think this was much of a dirty hit. It was late - it should have been a 2 minute interference call (I think the 5 minute major was a little overboard and the match penalty was overkill). It was shoulder on shoulder and McCann was off-balance. It looked a lot worse that it was and the onus is on McCann to keep himself balanced as well as take the hit properly. Larrson showed us that McCann is not strong enough yet and needs to improve in that area. 

I'm glad there was no suspension because it was a clean hit (other than its lateness). 

i don't think it is a suspendable hit but when compared to previous hits like the Edler on hertle(Sp) it is a suspendable hit.

YEs it does.  When Larsson commits to the hit, McCann's head is below his shoulder.  Larsson makes no effort to back off and only Jared rising up at the last moment prevented a direct hit to the head.

I'm not saying it's a clean hit, but I don't think he was head hunting 

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2015/11/09/no-hearing-scheduled-for-larsson-after-mccann-hit/

Devils blueliner Adam Larsson doesn’t have a disciplinary hearing scheduled after getting tossed for a hit on Vancouver rookie Jared McCann, per an NHL spokesman.

Larsson was given an interference major and game misconduct during Sunday’s game, a 4-3 New Jersey win in OT. The hit occurred midway through the third period; McCann left the playing surface briefly, but returned to the game.

Following the game, Larsson’s New Jersey teammates and head coach John Hynes disagreed with the call on the ice.

“It’s a difficult play for referees to call in motion,” Hynes said, per the Star-Ledger. “But our perception was that it was a fair play.”

I’m not really worried about them suspending him,” added Devils captain Andy Greene.

The Devils next play on Tuesday, a home date against the St. Louis Blues.

Are you freaking kidding me? That was not a fair play, is this some sort of joke?

McCann skating with his head down behind the net, no injury........5 and a game was adequate.

hence the 5 and the game misconduct.

He got 5 and the game... That's fair enough. 

The only hearing we should be having is to discuss that lack lustre pp.  

you just made a well thought out, fair and balanced post about the Canucks.......the apocalypse is upon us

I'd have zero issue with this if the league hadn't suspended Edler for Hertl skating into him. The NHL should find some sort of consistency that makes even a shred of sense.

edit: I will add overall 5 and a game is quite fair. Would just like some sort of consistency in discipline with the league though. 

you just made a well thought out, fair and balanced post about the Canucks.......the apocalypse is upon us

There's a first for eveverything ;) 

The pp let's us down big time yesterday... Considering all the talent it's inexcusable how our pp continues to suck. Who coaches our pp anyways? 

That was an easy win and they let it slip... Almost had 2 shorties against too.

Hopefully it's a game they learn from -__-

Archived